Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2020 3:42:18 PM EDT
Just getting in the competitive shooting. I shot my first steel challenge match last month, another this month and hopefully will be starting USPSA matches shortly after. Looking for what all should be in my range bag. Open to suggestions and tips for things that new shooters wouldn’t think of. Currently I have things like sunscreen, spare batteries for hearing protection and optics, squib rod, cleaning kit, what else am I missing? Other than the obvious of Eye protection, ammunition, guns?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 8:19:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Spare parts and tools
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 8:27:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bigdog02] [#2]
Any easily broken or lost screws of small parts
Sunscreen
Lenscloth
Universal tool or leatherman
Extra batteries for everything.
Hand towel
IFAK or at least a tourniquet
Pen/notepad
Garbage bag (to put gear in if it rains)
Range rod/squib rod
Basic cleaning kit
Zip lock sandwich bag (if you lose parts off something and have to pick them up, easy storage in a bag)
Bottle of water
Snacks
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 11:12:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bigdog02:
Any easily broken or lost screws of small parts
Sunscreen
Lenscloth
Universal tool or leatherman
Extra batteries for everything.
Hand towel I've got a large pack of wet wipes, but a dry towel would be a good. add.
IFAK or at least a tourniquet
Pen/notepad  Hadn't thought about that one.
Garbage bag (to put gear in if it rains)
Range rod/squib rod
Basic cleaning kit
Zip lock sandwich bag (if you lose parts off something and have to pick them up, easy storage in a bag)
Bottle of water It's always hot as hell at my range.  I bring 2 gallons every time I go.
Snacks
View Quote

@bigdog02

Looks like I'm close, but still have some gathering to do.  

Thanks for the advice!
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 2:34:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I travel light between stages.  Mags, ammo, towel, Ibuprofen, snacks, lens cloth, grip enhancer and a jug of water is about it.  The garage sale stays in the car.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 6:00:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Band aid or tape
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 6:33:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Depending on how heavily you get into the sport I'd recommend a backup gun eventually.

Better to just switch to a reliable gun if your primary gun goes down instead of carrying around a parts kit and having to attempt to fix a broken primary gun at the safety table.

Having your own shot timer can prevent the delay of a match if the range one goes down. You'll need one to practice with anyways. I always keep mine in my bag.

Link Posted: 12/1/2020 7:41:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Resin bag....
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 1:58:59 PM EDT
[#8]
if carrying a bag, keep it light.

Dragging 50lbs to 5 or more stages sucks.

Min:
Ammo
tape (gotta reset)
a spare mag or two
small parts bag/box
drinks and maybe snacks.

I use a home built cart and carry way too much shit.

Paster gun
4 or more 100 round ammo boxes
Gloves (for breaking down)
extra mags (incase one gets dirty or breaks)
squib rod
Timer
cooler
snacks
extra glasses
Phone
batteries
umbrella (shade or rain)
chair, for when I feel lazy or waiting on a slow squad
lube
small parts box
mag cleaning brush
small tool kit (just what I need for minor repairs)
mag loader

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 11:47:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't carry a whole lot.  I'll have ammo, brass I've picked up, shot timer, a couple bottles of water, maybe a snack, small cleaning kit.  I may build a small cart so I can sit.  Being able to sit down is a big thing if there are no seats, or only a few that get snatched up quickly.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 12:12:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Show up with magazines already loaded.

And a Maglula is a must have.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 12:52:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Toilet Paper. Take a half or third roll from your bathroom, squish it flat, and put in a zip lock bag.

You'd be amazed how many ranges don't replenish facilities TP before an event. When you need it you need it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top