Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2019 1:23:31 PM EDT
I'm looking into getting competitive shooting and just starting to do my research.  Im also a LEO and would like to run my duty gear, which consists of a battle belt and the mags up front at my appendix.  Im really not concerned about "competing" for score/time.  I just would like to get more trigger time and sharpen my skills.  I plan to run my duty weapon, with no mods. I assume this would be the production division.  I see IDPA and USPSA have rules with running your mags on your side.  Is this correct?  Is there a division or competition that allows mags to be placed at the appendix?  Thx in advance.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 1:49:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Limited, because yo mags are in front of your hipbone.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 2:13:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Limited. Production is also 10 rounds per mag max and would likely require a mag or 2 more than your duty rig carries currently.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 7:52:26 PM EDT
[#3]
as stated, Limited you can put anywhere.
Production is behind your hipbone.

I shoot with a LOT of LEO and they wear their duty belt, cuffs, baton, light, AR mag, the whole nine yards.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 10:34:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Thx for the help ya'll. What about weapons mounted lights on your pistol?  Would this put you in open?  Weapons mounted light and mags up front to be clear.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 12:43:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Im not 100% sure, but It may have something to do with "LEO" on registration. Im too lazy to look it up.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 2:18:58 PM EDT
[#6]
In IDPA you are given considerations if you run your duty gear. I know the mag location would be GTG. I think the light would as well.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 2:36:43 PM EDT
[#7]
my understanding is that LEO is granted exception to the usual rules if they wear full duty belt. I think that's true in both sports, IDPA and USPSA.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 4:40:01 PM EDT
[#8]
@txice

Here's the governing USPSA rule.

5.2.8 Competitors deemed by the Match Director to be full-time law enforcementofficers with arrest powers or military personnel on current active duty
orders, may be entitled to use their duty holsters or similar holster and
related equipment when such equipment does not strictly satisfy the
equipment or other requirements of the declared Division. The Range
Master will remain the final authority in respect of the safety and suitability
of using such equipment at USPSA matches. The use of such equipment,
except as otherwise permitted in the rules, is restricted to Level I matches
only.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 4:52:20 PM EDT
[#9]
IPSC has the same rule. (without the Level 1 restriction)
Weirdly, the same rule number.....

5.2.8 Competitors deemed by the Match Director to be active law enforcement officers or military personnel may
be entitled to use their duty holster and allied equipment. However, the Range Master will remain the final
authority in respect of the safety and suitability of using such equipment at IPSC matches.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 5:10:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Also look into the NRA TPC, Tactical Police Competition shoots as well.  They only come around once a year unless you want to travel, but the scenarios and rules are geared more towards competing with duty gear.

Every time I have shot IDPA or other competitions with duty gear, they basically have allowed me to shoot, but haven't scored me with others.  So I accomplished my objective of getting training and trigger time, but not necessarily "scoring" or competing.

You are in for a world of fun, and an eye-opening experience about rules.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 5:20:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
my understanding is that LEO is granted exception to the usual rules if they wear full duty belt. I think that's true in both sports, IDPA and USPSA.
View Quote
I believe that in the name of realism, IDPA requires a LEO to carry a cup of coffee or a doughnut in his non shooting hand and points are deducted if either is dropped.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 5:27:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm looking into getting competitive shooting and just starting to do my research.  Im also a LEO and would like to run my duty gear, which consists of a battle belt and the mags up front at my appendix.  Im really not concerned about "competing" for score/time.  I just would like to get more trigger time and sharpen my skills.  I plan to run my duty weapon, with no mods. I assume this would be the production division.  I see IDPA and USPSA have rules with running your mags on your side.  Is this correct?  Is there a division or competition that allows mags to be placed at the appendix?  Thx in advance.
View Quote
Uh huh.  For now maybe.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 8:11:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I believe that in the name of realism, IDPA requires a LEO to carry a cup of coffee or a doughnut in his non shooting hand and points are deducted if either is dropped.
View Quote
Actually, here in Texas we do it with a Whataburger...  
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 11:24:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Of course in USPSA he would likely be disqualified if his duty shoes weren't Salomon Speedcross...
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 4:06:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Damn It..... guilty
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 10:41:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Now that’s some funny stuff right there!!!
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 12:29:52 AM EDT
[#17]
IDPA has a similar rule.

8.7 Duty Gear ExemptionThis duty gear exemption is for patrol type gear worn by uniformed personnel, not undercover, plainclothes, or
investigative type gear.
Police and military personnel are allowed to use their duty rigs as follows:
A. The duty holster must be a strong side belt or thigh holster with at least one retention feature.
B. All retention features of the holster must be used.
C. All belt equipment holders must be present, though the shooter may decide which belt equipment is present.
Police and military personnel using the duty gear exemption are exempt from:
a. Using concealment garment
b. Holster design and placement requirements (other than listed above)
c. Ammunition carrier design and placement requirements
d. Belt design and placement requirements
The duty gear exemption is available for Tier 1 matches only.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top