Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/14/2022 5:03:46 PM EDT
I'm just discovering the competitive shooting game and a little overwhelmed with the rules as far as your gear and your belt go. I have shot a few steel challenge matches because they pretty much let you run anything (run what you brung).  I'm now looking into the more challenging USPSA matches. I'm really not interested in the competitiveness of the game or what my score or ranking would be. I'm a full time law enforcement officer and just looking for more trigger time, stage reps and "training".   I would like to run my battle belt (Ronin Tactics) as this is my everyday swat rig.   I don't wear a typical duty belt as the common patrol officer would.  The heel of the gun looks like it sits exactly at the belt so I should be good there.  My ALS Safariland holster system may not meet the distance from your belt rule.  Is there a way to shoot for "NO SCORE"?  I dont even need the timer running to be honest.  Again, I was just looking for some stage reps to help me stay safer on the street.  I dont wanna  cause any drama at the matches or have anyone raise a stink.  Thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:20:37 PM EDT
[#1]
You'll be fine

I've shot USPSA matches for years and it's no big deal for LE to shoot a match with their duty belt

The other competitors will say it's smart to shoot with what you actually use. I've never heard a negative comment about cops using duty belts
and have never heard anything rule problems.
Cops don't even take out the cuffs or flashlight to reduce weight

Your holster won't be a problem at all
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:23:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Thx lots....looking forward to getting my first match under my belt
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:26:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EliCustom] [#3]
What runs cops off competitive shooting is getting beaten by 60 year old women

What they don't understand is these women have been shooting USPSA for decades
and winning big regional matches for years. I've shot with some of the top women shooters in the US on many occasions
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 6:02:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Those that get butt hurt losing at those have issues. I see it as a competition against yourself.   If you can improve incrementally over time it's a "win".  I know these shooting games aresnt really seen as "training", but anytime you get trigger time while practicing fundamentals, speed and accuracy with a little added stress it will crossover to the Tactical world.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 3:36:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By txice:
Those that get butt hurt losing at those have issues. I see it as a competition against yourself.   If you can improve incrementally over time it's a "win".  I know these shooting games aresnt really seen as "training", but anytime you get trigger time while practicing fundamentals, speed and accuracy with a little added stress it will crossover to the Tactical world.
View Quote
You meet the level 1 exemption and should be welcomed with open arms.  The more of an open mind that you come with and willingness to learn the game as a game, the more you will learn about your shooting that will translate over.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 1:50:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm just discovering the competitive shooting game and a little overwhelmed with the rules as far as your gear and your belt go. I have shot a few steel challenge matches because they pretty much let you run anything (run what you brung).  I'm now looking into the more challenging USPSA matches. I'm really not interested in the competitiveness of the game or what my score or ranking would be. I'm a full time law enforcement officer and just looking for more trigger time, stage reps and "training".   I would like to run my battle belt (Ronin Tactics) as this is my everyday swat rig.   I don't wear a typical duty belt as the common patrol officer would.  The heel of the gun looks like it sits exactly at the belt so I should be good there.  My ALS Safariland holster system may not meet the distance from your belt rule.  Is there a way to shoot for "NO SCORE"?  I dont even need the timer running to be honest.  Again, I was just looking for some stage reps to help me stay safer on the street.  I dont wanna  cause any drama at the matches or have anyone raise a stink.  Thoughts?
View Quote
Uh huh. They all say that in the beginning.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 3:31:33 AM EDT
[#7]
My experience is the same. Several guys I shoot USPSA with shoot their work setup.

My training buddy is a SF guy and runs his rig with medkit and other first line kit.

I work plainclothes on a large department and shoot Carry Optics with the same setup I use for work

Tenicor OWB, older Raven double mag pouch, G17.5 with Holosun 508T and Surefire X300U

Work mags are OEM with Glock +2

Range mags are OEM with Arredondo +6

I also know cops that shoot a more competitive setup.

The rig really isn’t a big advantage or disadvantage. Sub second draws are definitely obtainable from an ALS

Don’t fall into the mindset of thinking I’m a tactical shooter so it’s ok to not be as fast or accurate. Competition is a humbling experience for most guys that carry a gun for work and that’s an opportunity to improve on the hard skills and pressure test yourself. There’s no better way to improve than to compete and the training and dry fire that goes into it. I’ll likely never be a GM but working towards that goal is more important than attaining it for me.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 5:47:35 AM EDT
[#8]
I dunno. My uspsa guys are pretty up tight. Show up with a PM-63 RAK one time and they got all pissy.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 2:36:37 AM EDT
[#9]
I was going to run my duty belt at my local uspsa matches until I found out I would've beenn bumped to open because of my weapon mounted light and the mags being on  the right side of my belly button.  Of course that's before the powers that be changed the equipment regs
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 2:58:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By shindawia6:
I was going to run my duty belt at my local uspsa matches until I found out I would've beenn bumped to open because of my weapon mounted light and the mags being on  the right side of my belly button.  Of course that's before the powers that be changed the equipment regs
View Quote

You wont get bumped to open for having a weapon light and mags placed anywhere. You’re allowed to if you read the rulebook.

Not sure why being bumped to open would even discourage you. It’s still a test of your speed/accuracy/ability regardless of what division you’re in.
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 12:58:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Now I can put mags anywhere and run a light because Uspsa changed the rules a couple years ago. Before the rule changes, the light was seen as weight or some shit to help with recoil
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 4:00:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: upnorthbacon] [#12]
I've shot with my duty holster and duty mag pouches with flaps and all.  My duty setup is a G17 with an X300 and RMR in an ALS/SLS level 2 retention.  Our defensive pistol group is pretty laid back and don't care what I run, even though I'm usually towards the top overall.  I also shot a USPSA previously with a fairly plane jane 1911 a couple years ago.  Those guys were pretty serious and probably would have had issues with my magazines being up front where I keep them when working, sounds like that's changed though.  Like you I enjoy running my work setup for extra reps as we all know cops generally don't get shit for range time.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 12:26:35 PM EDT
[#13]
At our local matches (USPSA), no one would care if you ran your duty gear as long as everything is safe.
In IDPA there is an exemption for police to compete in their duty gear.

If you do start shooting, you will be the only person I have ever seen who doesn't care where they finish. If you can check your ego that well, you are a prince among men.
Most police never come back when they are beaten soundly by the old, fat guy smoking a cigarette or by the middle aged woman who has been doing this for years.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 2:19:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I can’t even get two of my best cop friends to come shoot USPSA with me in the first place.

One has a Hellcat, along with a Ram Powerwagon and a regular RT Challenger between he and his wife, but complains that ammo is too expensive to  “waste 150 rounds like that” - also has no issue shooting in his yard. I’ve just resorted to calling him out repeatedly by saying he’s afraid to get whooped by old men and girls.

The other one will shoot the action rifle matches I shoot… but that’s it. Won’t touch USPSA with a ten foot pole (and he desperately needs to).
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 11:40:50 PM EDT
[#15]
You have to be a pretty good shooter just to suck at uspsa.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 12:03:38 AM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

That type of belt and holster is what every single patrol guy wears now.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 12:24:35 PM EDT
[#17]
I run my full duty gear/vest a couple matches a year, and have a blast doing it.

I MD a Run and Gun match specifically designed around the gear that my agency issues so that a patrol guy could come out and shoot the match with their issued pistol/ patrol rifle / duty rig and PC.

It’s always difficult to get cops to come out and shoot a match, but I seem to have more success with the run and gun matches. It’s not quite as competitive and very enjoyable for people of all skill levels!

Link Posted: 1/22/2023 1:02:43 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm a full-time law enforcement officer and just looking for more trigger time, stage reps and "training".     Thoughts?
View Quote

If that is your reason, do what you want and don't worry about. As you get better, remember that reason and don't start making gear and match choices that contradict that reason. It's an easy trap to fall into.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top