Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2019 5:38:15 PM EDT
I'm new to IDPA and just had my first match last month.  Should I choose to do more IDPA matches I will need a concealment garment.  I've seen some people wearing this khaki fishing vest looking thing, and others wearing nicer..more nifty looking stuff.

Anyone recommend any of the nicer, nifty cover garments?

Can anyone recommend some good places to shop online for competition stuff?  I'm new to shopping for competition stuff so I'm not even sure of the good places to shop online, or where to look online (aside from just typing it into the amazon search).

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 8:40:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I went the cheap route, cut off the sleeves on an old military camo blouse and weighted the bottom edges of the shirt opening with washers, you could also do it to an old flannel shirt.  No need to be fancy, unless you plan on wearing your vest around the town.
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 9:51:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Shootersconnection is a good starting point for competition stuff. Armadillo is one of the better vests. I use a 5.11 tactical vest. I recommend shooting what you have in competitions for a while before spending a bunch on gear. Welcome to the addiction
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 5:50:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1Wolf] [#3]
Thanks for the link :)  I'll definitely check that out, and check out the Armadillo & the 5.11.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 9:32:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Came here t9 post this question too so glad to see the thread.  How abt sizes?  Order the same size as the shirt I wear or order a bigger size to cover the extra wiidth of an own?
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 2:57:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Depending on the season I wear my normal clothes. In the winter I wear a hoodie or a Columbia jacket and in the summer I throw on a normal button down. I don’t use anything fancy or stuff I don’t wear around town.

Sizes vary for every company and since they are typically fishing vests they tend to be loose on the top/ chest area but aren’t that long to actually cover the gun with your arms out.
I would recommend you buy your correct size AND the next size up. Try them and return the one you don’t want.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 5:42:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Garand1911] [#6]
photographers vest is common

or go to the local goodwill store and get an old suit jacket.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:43:25 AM EDT
[#7]
What you’d normally wear out in public isn’t suitable?
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 12:33:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Motorcycle leather vest.  Stiiff and easy to move out of the way.  Doesn’t blow open in the wind.  Cool to sew your patches on.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 5:38:32 PM EDT
[#9]
The norm I saw.
photo vest, add washers and a heavy duty zip ty on your draw side.

Link Posted: 12/13/2021 12:41:26 PM EDT
[#10]
A vest is the norm but anything that covers the gun and the mags is good to go. You want something somewhat stiff. Not only does it make it easier to draw and grab mags, it makes it easier to reholster. I wear a cheap Bass Pro vest in warmer weather and a heavy Duluth Trading jacket in the colder weather.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 12:51:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Fishing vests are pretty popular in IDPA. I use an IWB holster and a T-shirt.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 8:00:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Shooting vest which is similar to a photographer's vest. (Open/ unzipped during competition.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top