Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2022 9:58:39 PM EDT
I'm really enjoying shooting matches. But I'm not enjoying sucking. At home dry fire practice using random objects and having to reset the trigger each time is boring.

Are any of them worthwhile/used by actual competitive shooters? If so, which ones should I look at?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 10:31:58 PM EDT
[#1]
What platform are you talking about?

I was teaching my step-son about dry firing practice just this afternoon; I'm taking him to a CMP/AMU rifle class next weekend.

Link Posted: 5/8/2022 10:45:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I mostly meant pistol, but I guess if there’s something for rifle that’s worthwhile I would get that too
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 11:09:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jack67] [#3]
I'm no expert, but am a big fan of dry firing.  I started 20+ yeas ago when I shot IDPA casually a season or two.  It made me go from sucking to acceptable in no time.  I'm not a dead-eye pistolero but this sure keeps me "competent" at least.  

I just used my 1911 and picked targets, watched my sights.  Other big trick I learned/was taught was to focus on making grip pressure fore/aft (on frontstrap and backstrap) and not on sides or grip panels. Big aid that tip was.

When i got better I switched to a full size revolver in DA (like a S&W 686 or 27).  Quite a bit harder.  Biggest single thing I said to my step son today was to use the pad of the finger, not the joint.  Joint feels more natural so until someone tells you to do otherwise, it's not intuitive.  We are going to a rifle class but I had him work for a while with a Hi Power; pistol is so much harder it's a better platform to practice on.

I'm sure there are others here with way more knowledge than me but those are a few observations to kick off the convo.  Also, I'm "in" to learn what others have to say.

Link Posted: 5/8/2022 11:21:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I use the Next level SIRT.  No complaints.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 11:29:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Mantis Blackbeard has been great in my AR thus far
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 12:04:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Get a $25 laser cartridge.  Then your dry fire becomes effective training.  

Add an app on your phone, using the camera, and you can collect data on your accuracy and speed, for free.  It will take pics of your hits, and literally anything can be used as a target.

Link Posted: 5/9/2022 12:05:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Green gas airsoft with a laser barrel
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 1:06:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: m200maker] [#8]
Back when I was a bachelor I used to shoot a replica BB gun into a phone book so I could recycle my bbs in my apartment. I stil use a BB gun with targets in the back yard. I live in the suburbs.  But I’ve been thinking about the blowback laser trainer. It uses CO2 to simulate recoil. But it’s pricey.Blow thingy

Also out of stock. I’ve seen it cheaper at gun shows.

Good BB gun pistols are under $100. I’m kinda from the camp where dry fire is important BUT dry fire where you know where the shot actually goes is better. Practice doesn’t make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Or very little good practice is far more valuable than consistent bad practice. Tomato tomato.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 4:49:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Dry Fire Mag has helped me.  You get feedback from the trigger and it emphasizes grip and control.  If you're competing,  most people also need to improve target acquisition, driving the gun, and staying out of the sights.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 5:14:37 PM EDT
[#10]
In for results. I need something for a 14 year old
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:14:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I settled on both Mantis's X10 and Blackbeard. Looks like some good shit for realistic practicing.

The Blackbeard looks like something innovative. Pop into any AR and use YOUR trigger with a laser. About time something was developed like that.

Will report back after trying them out.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 6:33:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I've used dry fire practice to really learn my triggers. It's a great way to learn what you gun does, but you can also learn what you do. I kinda meditate with it at times and really try to visualize the sear, the hammer, etc. Figure out what's happening inside.  Take note on when I see the front sight shake a little when the hammer strikes.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 7:37:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I use iTarget
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 3:14:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I made these two videos for Orion Training Groups Youtube, hopefully this will be helpful for you to get started!

Dry practice

Dry practice equipment considerations

I've used training aids in the past but personally don't prefer them anymore myself.  Once you understand how to know where your gun is aimed when you broke the shot, your ability to diagnose and improve goes up tremendously.

Dryfire mag doesn't allow for you have a normal trigger feel.

Laser indicators start to cause you to look for the hit.  Theyre great in the beginning to help you know where impacts might be until you know how to do that without needing that (I can show you how to do this with irons, a dot it's relatively simple to understand)

Coolfire is an interesting one as there is some bit of recoil which is nice if you don't get to the range a lot.  The down side is there is no muzzle rise which may be an issue, however you get your gun and your trigger feel.

If you're using your gun with your trigger and sights, learning how to practice multiple shots without racking the slide every time is important.

- For DA/SA guns, you run the full DA for the first press and then just don't let the DA reset, simulating SA press.  You can also learn the point at which your sear starts moving so you know where the SA press is approximately.  This is also true for SAO guns.

- For Striker guns and SAO guns, you'll get the real press the first time.  On MOST guns you'll have a dead trigger with a lighter press.  It's just up to you to move the trigger far enough that you would have at least reset and press the trigger hard enough that it would have broken the shot.  Glocks end up with triggers pinned back

Good luck! Reach out if you have questions, my Instagram is @robepifania

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top