Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2020 10:41:56 AM EDT
Is the following lower receiver legal for CMP/NRA Service Rifle?

https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/m4e1-stripped-lower-receiver-anodized-black

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 11:10:46 AM EDT
[#1]
No.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 11:28:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Loudenboomer_8972] [#2]
No, that one is not legal.

This one is CMP/NRA Legal.https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/ar15-stripped-lower-gen2-anodized-black
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 11:31:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Loudenboomer_8972:
No, that one is not legal.

This one is CMP/NRA Legal.https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/ar15-stripped-lower-gen2-anodized-black
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 1:20:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Personally I feel they need to change the categories for CMP service right competitions because rifles like the A2/A3 never had freefloated handguards or optics. The need to have a stock service rifle division and current production division. Stock rifles should be government profile non-freefloated rifles without hooded sights and standard rear elevation knobs and then for current production you can free floated hand guards and optics. I shoot a stock A2 with a government profile barrel etc. and in no way can I compete with the current ruled rifles and while I don't compete for anything but fun I just think that the setups that are used today aren't really service rifles per-se but facsimiles of what people think a service rifle should be.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:54:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By usmcchet9296:
Personally I feel they need to change the categories for CMP service right competitions because rifles like the A2/A3 never had freefloated handguards or optics. The need to have a stock service rifle division and current production division. Stock rifles should be government profile non-freefloated rifles without hooded sights and standard rear elevation knobs and then for current production you can free floated hand guards and optics. I shoot a stock A2 with a government profile barrel etc. and in no way can I compete with the current ruled rifles and while I don't compete for anything but fun I just think that the setups that are used today aren't really service rifles per-se but facsimiles of what people think a service rifle should be.
View Quote

I hear what you're saying. I am a bit of a "purist" when it comes to using iron sights, and standard issue setups for a "service rifle" class. It's difficult to get enough undistinguished shooters in an EIC match these days as the rules stand. If the CMP/NRA were to split Service rifles into the categories you mentioned, it would be even harder to meet the minimum requirements to earn leg points.  

F-Class pretty much ruined High Power XTC. Sad part is, F-class was created by an elderly Canadian gentlemen who could no longer hold his rifle with a sling. Nowadays, all you see is young guys with their "Precision Rifles", shooting from mechanical rests, and they think it takes skill to do that.  

Death before F-Class.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 8:06:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By BerlinVet:

Thanks.
View Quote

Negatory!
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 12:45:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for asking that question.  I was unsure of that myself.  

I assume any billet upper is also not in compliance with the new rules.  

It says no "billeted" uppers or lowers...I had bought a billet upper to use on my CMP build, but I guess I'll have use a forged upper and use the billet upper to build a 450 Bushmaster or 458 SOCOM.  Darn.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 1:02:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HomeAtLast] [#8]
Originally Posted By Senator16:
Thanks for asking that question.  I was unsure of that myself.  

I assume any billet upper is also not in compliance with the new rules.  

It says no "billeted" uppers or lowers...I had bought a billet upper to use on my CMP build, but I guess I'll have use a forged upper and use the billet upper to build a 450 Bushmaster or 458 SOCOM.  Darn.
View Quote

It's not a billet lower but does have features that aren't permitted
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 7:40:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: devildog93] [#9]
Originally Posted By Loudenboomer_8972:

I hear what you're saying. I am a bit of a "purist" when it comes to using iron sights, and standard issue setups for a "service rifle" class. It's difficult to get enough undistinguished shooters in an EIC match these days as the rules stand. If the CMP/NRA were to split Service rifles into the categories you mentioned, it would be even harder to meet the minimum requirements to earn leg points.  

F-Class pretty much ruined High Power XTC. Sad part is, F-class was created by an elderly Canadian gentlemen who could no longer hold his rifle with a sling. Nowadays, all you see is young guys with their "Precision Rifles", shooting from mechanical rests, and they think it takes skill to do that.  

Death before F-Class.
View Quote

And guys on the outside looking in see all the various classes and 5000 rules and wonder why you have any competitors left. It's like hot rod guys requiring you have the original battery tray before you are allowed on the track. Did we maybe forget the original intended purpose of cmp? I thought the original intent was to bring military type training to the civilian world and get people interested in the shooting sports.

I have a couple of questions about the competition that have been bothering me. Why are we using specialized coats, gloves, and gear you would never have on the field? When did we get away from the spartan approach or was it never a concern? Why are we years behind adopting whatever the military is going with? So the military has adopted the 1-6 sig scope. When will that see adoption in CMP you think?
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 2:24:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By devildog93:...Why are we using specialized coats, gloves, and gear you would never have on the field?...
View Quote

Coats, gloves, spotting scopes, mats, etc. are allowed because it's a competitive sport and to be competitive you have to use equipment that enhances your shooting. The rules are not open, there are limits as to what is allowed. You can wear and use plain old military gear if you want but most competitors have and use specialized shooting gear. It's pretty standard stuff for target shooters.

The other poster wanted to know why we don't use issued rifles. The reason is that in Highpower competition that goes back more than 100 years that there were two classes of rifles. Service rifles and match rifles. Service rifles had to appear to be a standard rifle but could be improved "under the skin". If you changed the rules that only issued rifles be used, nothing would change, the top shooters would have the top scores but you would have trouble getting parts for your rifle because the top teams would cherry pick the best parts and the good parts would be picked at the factory before they hit the marketplace. A good match grade AR is not very expensive, it's about as cheap as target shooting gets.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 4:47:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By HomeAtLast:

Thanks.
View Quote

Get the Geissele lower.  It is $5 less.

https://geissele.com/super-duty-stripped-lower-receiver-5-56-black.html

I got mine at Sportsmans Warehouse and got the Geissele High Speed NM trigger.  I shoot it at Camp Perry, passes every time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top