Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2020 10:22:17 AM EDT
Service rifle competition.

For the past few years I've been shooting SR competition with a standard Colt HBar A2 with a 20" 1:7 barrel and iron sights.

My go to load included a Nosler CC 77g bullet.

I've recently completed a new build. A 16" M4 style rifle with a mid-length gas system and a 1:9 twist with the Hi-lux 1-4.5 optic.

Now I'm wondering with the shorter barrel and "lighter" twist, should I downsize the projectile.

Any insights would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 10:48:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sinister] [#1]
You don't have to.  You might go to a Sierra or Nosler 69 or Berger 73 to stay at the same short-lines velocity as the 20-incher for wind-bucking, but it's not necessary.

I set up a carbine just like yours for my son to shoot in the military as-issued match at Camp Perry.

Use an A-Max 75 for the 600 slow fire (a 1-9 may not stabilize an 80-grainer).  What negligible speed you may lose in muzzle velocity you gain back using the optic and the sliding stock.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:46:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Sinister:

Use an A-Max 75 for the 600 slow fire (a 1-9 may not stabilize an 80-grainer).  What negligible speed you may lose in muzzle velocity you gain back using the optic and the sliding stock.
View Quote

A true or fast 9 might barely stabilize a 75gr AMAX/ELD. The several barrels I've measured indicated button rifling to be slow. OP, try the 77s, but the 69gr SMK/CC is the sure thing.

Sinister, a while back, how did the 60gr TMK fare as an external ballistic substitute for M855A1?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top