Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2022 10:52:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: IHTFP08]
Here is my AAR for the race this past weekend and some important lessons learned. https://thegunrun.us/products/the-gun-run-sc-team-edition-january-15th-2022

Obstacle 0: Registration. Make sure to set an alert and register properly. In this case registration was on thegunrun.us website, not the event host (the sawmill) website. It allowed me to buy a product, but wasn't the registration. Luckily, they said we could run on friday early with the ROs and staff. But almost missed it since these sell out fast.

Partner Selection: My original partner is AD .mil and he got hammered with last minute COVID testing/quarantine so I had to find a last minute replacement (@0627devildog). So have good friends that can shoot and like to do this stuff. Find Cola Warrior or people from the HTFs and make friends in person.

Understand Scoring. This was a 5k with 6 shooting stages. Most of the stages were shooting larger steel targets and had to be completed within a PAR time. Failure to complete a stage was a DNF. So if you and your partner don't complete in time, its a DNF (not just added time penalties). Comes into play later when we DNF'd a stage due to a missed shot on a paper target at the beginning of a stage. They kept the stages hush hush so you got a stage brief right before you ran it, and some had pretty complicated instructions especially with a partner.

Gear: Rifle, pistol, ammo however you want to carry it. There was no restrictions other than centerfire rifle/pistol, no green tip/magnum calibers.

Me: New Geissele Super Duty (16"), Bushnell elite tactical 1-6.5x, Griffin Armament Explorr 6.5 silencer. Wolf gold. This is relatively new to me for competition use, but I've used it in a few local matches but I mainly use a TA33 Acog rifle for cola warrior. 0 malfunctions or issues with the rifle

Maxim 9 w/ holosun. Known to me to have light primer strikes occasionally. Had a few, but nothing match stopping. It surprised one of the ROs on the last stage and didn't register the last shot one time.

Him: New Geissele Super Duty (16"), NF ATACR 1-8x w/ RMR. Some turkish ammo. No issues to report with the rifles. HK VP9L w/ RMR. RMR gave him some trouble shooting left handed due to dirt reflection or something.

Bonus points: be familiar with each others equipment. Mainly scopes, zeroes, etc.

Come to events with zero'd equipment, and check it before hand if possible. I thought mine was zeroed, but I checked and had to adjust it. His rifle was zeroed. Pistols were zeroed.

I used a padded belt w/ suspenders to carry pistol, 3 pistol mags, and 2 rifle mags on the belt, along w/ dump pouch, and IFAK (normally on there, not required for the run). I carried a small camelback backpack with two more pistol mags, and 3 rifle mags (just in case), small bladder ( I don't like dry mouth when running), and BFG sling.  We carried the rifle on our backs for all the running. The back pack made it slightly difficult to get a good position with the rifle, but it worked.

I used otto noizebarrier plugs with the foam inserts. Great product and highly recommended for this type of event. Amplified hearing allows to hear stage briefs better and communicate w/ teammate (crucial for one of the stages)

He carried pistol and pistol mags on a belt and a plate carrier (no plates) with 3 rifle mags and a pistol mag/rifle mag in pockets. Overall we had way too much extra ammo but better to not run out, especially when did had no idea about the stages (round count was 40 rifle/35 pistol).

I liked having suspenders vs all the weight on my hips. I've had some issues with belts rubbing my hips, so padded belt/suspenders was awesome. I had crye combat pants, knee pads and crye top (my normal shooting/cola warrior setup), and lightweight danner hiking boots and wool socks.

Race:
Started with a dummy carry of log in a stretcher to the obstacle course. Drop stretcher, climb cargo net, scale a small wall, then get over some logs. Careful of slung rifle coming forward when you bend over hitting in the head. Get stretcher and carry back to start, then dump and run to stage 1.

Stage 1: Start at bottom of 50ft connex tower. At the buzzer, shooter 1 went to the top of the connexes (via stairs) to receive range brief alone. Shooter 2 engages some pistol targets, grabs ammo can, then runs up to meet at the top. 1 had to engage a single silhouette (100yds maybe) from 3 separate ports cut into the connex (3 hits each port, 9 total). After completing, shooter 1 describes to shooter 2 what the target is and where it is AND the port order AND had to use shooter 1's rifle. So lucky we had identical rifles and similar optics. This stage has 180s par time and we (and lots others) DNF'd. We got 3x hits from the second shooter before time ran out. Communication is important, also familiarity with each others gear.

Run to stage 2, was the longest run of the event.

Stage 2: 4 targets between 1-200yds. Shooter 1 engages 2x hits on each target. Once shooting starts, 2 runs about 10 yds to his position and engages the same targets once 1 is done. Once shooter 2 is done, the RO designates a "casualty" and other has to put on a TQ where directed. Of course they picked the bigger guy to go down, so I put the TQ on his leg, get him on a drag stretcher, and drag him about 15yds and engage some pistol targets about 20yds. I think we both shot the closer rifle targets kneeling, then I proned to get the further ones.

Stage 3: The "long range" stage. 3 targets (100, 200, 340yds). 3x hits from Standing, kneeling/sitting, prone  on the close, medium, far targets but alternating. Start standing, shooter 1 3x hits close target, shooter 2 3x hits the same, then kneeling, then prone. Important to move to next position and get sight picture so as soon as your partner makes their hits, you can start shooting. Another tough stage there were a lot of DNFs.

Stage 4. Pistol only. Rifle slung whole time. two shooting stations (large silouettes). One shooter keeps a punching bag "off the ground", other shoots. 2 hits strong hand, 2 hits weak hand, then switch. I kneeled and put the bag on my knee (let bone hold it up, not my arms). Then run to the second positon and repeat. Partner had some dirt or something on the rmr and was shooting a reflection or something. He is a better pistol shot but had took some time here. Lesson here was follow the rules, not the intent of the stage (bag off the ground doesn't necessarily mean hold it. I was going to rest on my foot). Know when something isn't right, like dirt on optics.

Stage 5. Most complicated stage. Both shooters engage IPSC cardboard (4x) on the move about 7yds towards a car with rifle. At the car, shooter 1 engages torsos, shooter 2 engages circles (3x hits each), then shooter 1 runs down to pickup a dummy and engage 1 handed pistol target in back of a bus. then run back to start. We crushed this one except didn't understand the importance of the 4x paper hits. My partner pulled on off the paper, resulting in a DNF for the stage. Boo. I also didn't have a mag seated and dropped out when I was trying to engage the bus target one handed.

Stage 6. Pistol only. Shooter 1 runs to top of connexs and shoots targets out a window, while shooter 2 engages targets from bottom floor, then runs up and engages the top targets too. We dominated this stage but the timer didn't catch the maxim last shot so they just gave us a fast time. then short sprint to the finish line.

Overall we were 27/70 and would have been a little better without the DNF on stage 5. See point #3, Understand Scoring. So we rushed trying to save a few seconds on stage 5, when in reality getting the 4 hits on paper were EXTREMELY important (not a small time penalty like IDPA or USPSA or whatever).

I'm still getting used to the the LPVO, but I'm not sure it was worth it for this type of shooting. Larger targets, about 300 yds, would have been just fine with the TA33 without having to mess with magnification or a picky eye box. Red dots on pistols are the way, closed emitters better for dirt/water. He wants to switch to ACRO P2, but I'm fine with holosuns. I'm considering switching to a new gun for comps, the maxim is cool but not reliable enough and it doesn't register on timers unless you are really close. No complaints about the Super Duty, still deciding on a permanent optic. Practice shooting opposite handed, canted rifles, off hand, kneeling, prone shooting.

Overall, a good event, would do it again and would recommend any event/training at the Sawmill. It was a really cool range.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 11:02:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 11:16:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Good write up man. Been looking at the pictures coming out of the team match on the R&G discussion group all weekend. Looks like you guys had a great time.

Hopefully, when things are better aligned,  I'll be able to get out to one of the matches out there. Until then I'm stuck in Texas.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 11:35:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds awesome. Good job getting out there.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 11:36:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Cool write up I would like to do a team event but turns out people don't want the slow fat guy on their team

Both of your rifles look pretty chonky did you notice a large number of smaller pistol ar's?
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 11:47:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Cool. Great AAR. Ellis runs an good match.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 12:14:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cwar_USA:
Cool write up I would like to do a team event but turns out people don't want the slow fat guy on their team

Both of your rifles look pretty chonky did you notice a large number of smaller pistol ar's?
View Quote

I honestly couldn't tell you what other people were using. We were there on friday vs the normal day. It could have easily been completed with shorter barrel. Red dot would have been tough on the longer stages but I think at least a magnifier or 3x would have been perfect for the range/target size for rifles. Certainly 16" was likely the longest barrels used. I would have done a 13.7/TA33 combo but I bought the super duty to use at comps and show how "bad" the black oxide barrels are. Turns out, they are awesome.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 11:20:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 0627Devildog] [#7]
Obstacle 0: Registration. Make sure to set an alert and register properly. In this case registration was on thegunrun.us website, not the event host (the sawmill) website. It allowed me to buy a product, but wasn't the registration. Luckily, they said we could run on friday early with the ROs and staff. But almost missed it since these sell out fast.

DD - Re: Registration be sure you can shoot well enough to get an invite the day prior from those diligent enough to register in advance.

Partner Selection: My original partner is AD .mil and he got hammered with last minute COVID testing/quarantine so I had to find a last minute replacement (@0627devildog). So have good friends that can shoot and like to do this stuff. Find Cola Warrior or people from the HTFs and make friends in person.

DD - Re: Partner Selection .mil people are notoriously unreliable for civilian activities.  They largely put their Sworn Duty to County ahead of fun.  Pussies.

Understand Scoring. This was a 5k with 6 shooting stages. Most of the stages were shooting larger steel targets and had to be completed within a PAR time. Failure to complete a stage was a DNF. So if you and your partner don't complete in time, its a DNF (not just added time penalties). Comes into play later when we DNF'd a stage due to a missed shot on a paper target at the beginning of a stage. They kept the stages hush hush so you got a stage brief right before you ran it, and some had pretty complicated instructions especially with a partner.

DD - Re: Scoring - FTR, I was the one who missed 1 of 4 shots on paper while moving (I own it, and will never forgive myself)…..However, had I been advised that a single miss would have resulted in a DNF for the entire stage (that we burned the FUCK down) I would have take the extra second to make the 4th hit.

Gear: Rifle, pistol, ammo however you want to carry it. There was no restrictions other than centerfire rifle/pistol, no green tip/magnum calibers.

Me: New Geissele Super Duty (16"), Bushnell elite tactical 1-6.5x, Griffin Armament Explorr 6.5 silencer. Wolf gold. This is relatively new to me for competition use, but I've used it in a few local matches but I mainly use a TA33 Acog rifle for cola warrior. 0 malfunctions or issues with the rifle

Maxim 9 w/ holosun. Known to me to have light primer strikes occasionally. Had a few, but nothing match stopping. It surprised one of the ROs on the last stage and didn't register the last shot one time.

Him: New Geissele Super Duty (16"), NF ATACR 1-8x w/ RMR. Some turkish ammo. No issues to report with the rifles. HK VP9L w/ RMR. RMR gave him some trouble shooting left handed due to dirt reflection or something.

DD - Re: Gear - If anyone has a longer firing pin for a Maxim 9, DM me…..I know a guy who needs one.  With regard to the Left handed shooting on the VP9L, I am right hand/Left Eye dominant and need some more practice with weak hand.  The issue I had on this stage (4) was a result of the previous stage (3) being a long range prone stage where my RMR was basically in the dirt.  There was a thin film of dust on the optic that created a shadow dot.  I thought the shadow dot was just a diminished actual dot due to the dust….but quickly realized it was a duplicate.  When using that to aim I obviously missed.  I cranked up the power one click and found the actual dot at which point all hits were made.  I will add that even with this snafu the RO’s complimented how quickly we completed that stage (Ultimately 14th out of 70)

Bonus points: be familiar with each others equipment. Mainly scopes, zeroes, etc.

Come to events with zero'd equipment, and check it before hand if possible. I thought mine was zeroed, but I checked and had to adjust it. His rifle was zeroed. Pistols were zeroed.

I used a padded belt w/ suspenders to carry pistol, 3 pistol mags, and 2 rifle mags on the belt, along w/ dump pouch, and IFAK (normally on there, not required for the run). I carried a small camelback backpack with two more pistol mags, and 3 rifle mags (just in case), small bladder ( I don't like dry mouth when running), and BFG sling.  We carried the rifle on our backs for all the running. The back pack made it slightly difficult to get a good position with the rifle, but it worked.

DD - Re: Equipment - Since this was only a 5K and I am generally very well hydrated I chose not to bring water, given the shortness of the course.  I was barely parched by the time we crossed the finish.  That said, I do’t knock anyone for draggin some water along.  I will say the backpack Nick was carrying was a P in the A as it pertains to over the back rifle carry.  I had to adjust it several times due to getting hung up on the bag.

I used otto noizebarrier plugs with the foam inserts. Great product and highly recommended for this type of event. Amplified hearing allows to hear stage briefs better and communicate w/ teammate (crucial for one of the stages)

DD - Otto’s would be a GREAT addition if you’re not a poor and can afford $400 for amplified in ear hearing.  I ran straight up foam plugs and while it was OK, I do wish I had OTTO’s or at least the Surefire Sonic Defender ( I forgot them ) for better passive hearing.

He carried pistol and pistol mags on a belt and a plate carrier (no plates) with 3 rifle mags and a pistol mag/rifle mag in pockets. Overall we had way too much extra ammo but better to not run out, especially when did had no idea about the stages (round count was 40 rifle/35 pistol).

DD - In case anyone care - I was running a BFG CHLK Belts with Estac 2P1R pouch, BFG DumpPouch (Which I didn’t use/need) CAT TQ, BFG Micro Trauma Now Kit, and a custom SafariLand QLS Equipped holster for the VP9L from KT-Mech.

I liked having suspenders vs all the weight on my hips. I've had some issues with belts rubbing my hips, so padded belt/suspenders was awesome. I had crye combat pants, knee pads and crye top (my normal shooting/cola warrior setup), and lightweight danner hiking boots and wool socks.

DD - I was racing in a pair of cargo pants from 5.11 Tactical with soft knee pad inserts

Race:
Started with a dummy carry of log in a stretcher to the obstacle course. Drop stretcher, climb cargo net, scale a small wall, then get over some logs. Careful of slung rifle coming forward when you bend over hitting in the head. Get stretcher and carry back to start, then dump and run to stage 1.

DD - And make sure you synch up your sling so the rifle doesn’t come off your shoulder mid carry.

Stage 1: Start at bottom of 50ft connex tower. At the buzzer, shooter 1 went to the top of the connexes (via stairs) to receive range brief alone. Shooter 2 engages some pistol targets, grabs ammo can, then runs up to meet at the top. 1 had to engage a single silhouette (100yds maybe) from 3 separate ports cut into the connex (3 hits each port, 9 total). After completing, shooter 1 describes to shooter 2 what the target is and where it is AND the port order AND had to use shooter 1's rifle. So lucky we had identical rifles and similar optics. This stage has 180s par time and we (and lots others) DNF'd. We got 3x hits from the second shooter before time ran out. Communication is important, also familiarity with each others gear.

DD - Ok, THIS stage was some bullshit….It wasn’t clearly explained, nor was there enough time provided for anyone OTHER than the folks who set it up.  95% didn’t make the PAR time.  Just my humble opinion.

Run to stage 2, was the longest run of the event.

Stage 2: 4 targets between 1-200yds. Shooter 1 engages 2x hits on each target. Once shooting starts, 2 runs about 10 yds to his position and engages the same targets once 1 is done. Once shooter 2 is done, the RO designates a "casualty" and other has to put on a TQ where directed. Of course they picked the bigger guy to go down, so I put the TQ on his leg, get him on a drag stretcher, and drag him about 15yds and engage some pistol targets about 20yds. I think we both shot the closer rifle targets kneeling, then I proned to get the further ones.

DD - He did a great job with the TQ, and even tickled my balls a little while synching it down….I give this a 10/10

Stage 3: The "long range" stage. 3 targets (100, 200, 340yds). 3x hits from Standing, kneeling/sitting, prone  on the close, medium, far targets but alternating. Start standing, shooter 1 3x hits close target, shooter 2 3x hits the same, then kneeling, then prone. Important to move to next position and get sight picture so as soon as your partner makes their hits, you can start shooting. Another tough stage there were a lot of DNFs.

DD - Tough for who?  I know YOU killed it, and I damn sure know I murdered it.  Know your optics, and your holdovers people…..Easy Peasy.

Stage 4. Pistol only. Rifle slung whole time. two shooting stations (large silouettes). One shooter keeps a punching bag "off the ground", other shoots. 2 hits strong hand, 2 hits weak hand, then switch. I kneeled and put the bag on my knee (let bone hold it up, not my arms). Then run to the second positon and repeat. Partner had some dirt or something on the rmr and was shooting a reflection or something. He is a better pistol shot but had took some time here. Lesson here was follow the rules, not the intent of the stage (bag off the ground doesn't necessarily mean hold it. I was going to rest on my foot). Know when something isn't right, like dirt on optics.

DD - All good points, we could have gamed it a little better (bag on foot, off ground) but the kneeling was a solid decision.  Be sure to work on weak handed shooting.  

Stage 5. Most complicated stage. Both shooters engage IPSC cardboard (4x) on the move about 7yds towards a car with rifle. At the car, shooter 1 engages torsos, shooter 2 engages circles (3x hits each), then shooter 1 runs down to pickup a dummy and engage 1 handed pistol target in back of a bus. then run back to start. We crushed this one except didn't understand the importance of the 4x paper hits. My partner pulled on off the paper, resulting in a DNF for the stage. Boo. I also didn't have a mag seated and dropped out when I was trying to engage the bus target one handed.

DD - I knew this would come up, to be memorialized in a format that will live on forever so I may never be able to live it down.  Apparently 3 A-Zone hits and a flyer to the femoral artery 2 inches off paper aren’t enough to kill the MethAddicted IPSC we were facing.  I said I was sorry……GOD.

Stage 6. Pistol only. Shooter 1 runs to top of connexs and shoots targets out a window, while shooter 2 engages targets from bottom floor, then runs up and engages the top targets too. We dominated this stage but the timer didn't catch the maxim last shot so they just gave us a fast time. then short sprint to the finish line.

DD - FTR - I engaged double the targets while traversing 2 floors in less time than it took for my partner to engage his targets from the 2nd floor alone.  (Just gonna leave that here with no further comment)

Overall we were 27/70 and would have been a little better without the DNF on stage 5. See point #3, Understand Scoring. So we rushed trying to save a few seconds on stage 5, when in reality getting the 4 hits on paper were EXTREMELY important (not a small time penalty like IDPA or USPSA or whatever).

DD - You just can’t let me live it down, can you….?

I'm still getting used to the the LPVO, but I'm not sure it was worth it for this type of shooting. Larger targets, about 300 yds, would have been just fine with the TA33 without having to mess with magnification or a picky eye box. Red dots on pistols are the way, closed emitters better for dirt/water. He wants to switch to ACRO P2, but I'm fine with holosuns. I'm considering switching to a new gun for comps, the maxim is cool but not reliable enough and it doesn't register on timers unless you are really close. No complaints about the Super Duty, still deciding on a permanent optic. Practice shooting opposite handed, canted rifles, off hand, kneeling, prone shooting.

DD- Agreed, my BCM with CompM5/3x Mag would have handled everything this specific event threw at us, though I didn’t mind running the ATACR.  I have been wanting to go closed emitter for a WHILE…..this just solidified my resolve to do so.  Holosun 509T is probably fine, I just prefer not being a Communist piece of shit.

Overall, a good event, would do it again and would recommend any event/training at the Sawmill. It was a really cool range.

DD - 100% …… Sawmill was great.  I would only change 1 thing about the event.  If I ever do this again I'd probably try to do a better job with partner selection next time though.  Maybe find someone with a little more empathy, I dunno.  😉
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 11:39:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 9:23:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By cwar_USA:

View Quote

Here are the pics from the event, the may help answer your question.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/170574269@N03/sets/72177720296024639/
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 2:10:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I RO'd stage 3, the "long range".

It was just amazing how many people came through that stage with $3,000 rifle/optic combos that couldn't hit a full size torso at 150 yards without going prone.  Skills > $$
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 12:18:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By WNCSeabee:
I RO'd stage 3, the "long range".

It was just amazing how many people came through that stage with $3,000 rifle/optic combos that couldn't hit a full size torso at 150 yards without going prone.  Skills > $$
View Quote

"Long Range" in quotations is WAY more accurate than some of the shooters out there.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top