Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2020 11:27:18 AM EDT
man what a beautiful carbine.

prices for these now reach $1500 plus.

supper nice craftsmanship.

10 round mags made by a company but costly.

discontinued due to production costs. i can see why, it is beautiful.

re-introduce it in .44mag and 10mm.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 12:37:55 PM EDT
[#1]
They should build one based on their new PC Carbine but give wood as a stock option.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 12:41:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I would like to see a slightly beefed up version in 450 Bushmaster or 350 Legend
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 2:36:05 PM EDT
[#3]
amen     need it in 10mm an 44 mag  would be a huge seller
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 3:59:06 PM EDT
[#4]
oops, forgot 10mm is rimless. too much design differences between 2 carbines.

just .44mag then please.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 4:01:54 PM EDT
[#5]
beautiful mags but costly.

could be cheaper mass produced by ruger under license using cheaper material.

Link Posted: 12/24/2020 6:24:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Kicking myself for not buying a used one for about $200-300.

Would have made a good camp rifle for my wife and kids.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 12:23:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
man what a beautiful carbine.

prices for these now reach $1500 plus.

supper nice craftsmanship.

10 round mags made by a company but costly.

discontinued due to production costs. i can see why, it is beautiful.

re-introduce it in .44mag and 10mm.
View Quote

I've owned and hunted with a Deerfield for 15+ years. It is a great carbine, but unfinished IMHO (and Bill Ruger's too). The magazine release needs a complete redesign. Other improvements that would be nice on an updated version would be to move the op rod finger tab forward so it doesn't dig into the palm of your hand when the rifle is carried at the balance, a forward "scout" rail, a melonited finish, etc. A real walnut stock in place of the cheap "hardwood" and a wood handguard would also be great too. They should build the new version in 44 Mag, 454 Casull and 480 Ruger.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 12:42:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been wanting a rifle in 38 Special,  would love to see Ruger do a new series of lever guns in pistol calibers under the Marlin name but a semi auto would be fun as hell also
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 10:54:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Unfortunately I think that ship has sailed. As reported they would be too expensive to build now, but I think more practically their own offerings in AR rifles chambered in 450BM and 350L have replaced the “need”. With the changes to hunting laws being perfectly suited to the Deerfield, Ruger went the other direction because it was cheaper and the technology was settled. I had one and really enjoyed it but it became too valuable to use for my style of deer hunting. Ultimately I sold it and with that money I built 2 450s in AR platform with glass and all and still had money left over for ammo.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 9:11:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I picked up a used one from the 1960s with a broken stock that would not fire very inexpensive ly.

It needed the bolt that keeps gas from escaping out the front of the piston, and a little fitting.

I did not know my history as I thought it was the new magazine fed one when I asked to see it, but it is the old tube fed one.

With lever guns in 44 mag at $500 to start, bolt guns around 900$, I’m not sure if they could make one of these tube fed semi autos in that price range.  The 44/Deerstalker cost of production was too high to sell and make a profit on when they discontinued it about 40 years ago.

The 99/44 Deerslayer was not on the market very long at all.  I think they discontinued a lever version as well.

Maybe if it took DE magazines for more cpacity?

Link Posted: 1/2/2021 7:42:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Better pic.

Those ten round mags look awesome, wish I had one of the newer ones
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 11:00:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Yea, i would definitely be a buyer if it had available 10 round mags and a barrel twist rate and rifling to accommodate HEAVY bullets.

A .357 would be even better IMO.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 11:50:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe if it took DE magazines for more cpacity?
View Quote
I have done the "write the CEO" thing with that suggestion several times.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 2:44:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Probably not.
44 mag carbines are going to exist in lever guns forever tho.
a light, handy, short semi in 44, 454, 460, 480, 500 would excite a relative few of us. Excite us quite a lot, but the majority of gun owners will continue to buy cheap AR's and glocks.
We can hope
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 5:25:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Probably not.
44 mag carbines are going to exist in lever guns forever tho.
a light, handy, short semi in 44, 454, 460, 480, 500 would excite a relative few of us. Excite us quite a lot, but the majority of gun owners will continue to buy cheap AR's and glocks.
We can hope
View Quote

Could a upper be chambered for these pistol cartridge's, and feed reliably, through a standard AR lower?
A insert in the magwell to accept pistol mags?
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 6:15:37 AM EDT
[#16]
My son’s first deer rifle. He killed a bunch of deer and several hogs with it.
Made in 1976.  
I need to refinish the stock.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:00:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Just guessing, but with current atmosphere concerning semi-auto rifles being a factor, and Ruger having bought Marlin, I would think that Ruger would be devoting their energies towards making lever-action rifles, as opposed to re-introducing semi-auto rifles.

Ruger needs to make a decent return on their investment, and offering a modern version of the Deerfield semi-auto would compete against their soon-to-be-offered lever action rifles.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 1:21:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I would like to see a slightly beefed up version in 450 Bushmaster or 350 Legend
View Quote

Quoted:
Unfortunately I think that ship has sailed. As reported they would be too expensive to build now, but I think more practically their own offerings in AR rifles chambered in 450BM and 350L have replaced the “need”. With the changes to hunting laws being perfectly suited to the Deerfield, Ruger went the other direction because it was cheaper and the technology was settled. I had one and really enjoyed it but it became too valuable to use for my style of deer hunting. Ultimately I sold it and with that money I built 2 450s in AR platform with glass and all and still had money left over for ammo.
View Quote

I'm a little surprised Ruger hasn't made a Mini in .450 and .350. They've made .450's in every other platform they have- #1, bolt guns and AR's.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 8:49:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm a little surprised Ruger hasn't made a Mini in .450 and .350. They've made .450's in every other platform they have- #1, bolt guns and AR's.
View Quote
IDK, but the Mini rifles, both the -14 and-30, were designed around certain ctgs long ago. Not certain that Ruger wants to spend the money on yet another Mini variant while they are selling all the Mini-14s and Mini-30s they can make.  There certainly have been Minis made in the past for ctgs other than 5.56 and 7.62x39, but they were not popular enough for Ruger to keep making them, with the possible exception of .300 B.O..   Unless there is an overwhelming customer demand for a ctg chambering that suits the current Mini platform(s) (and currently offered magazines) with scant modifications, I can't see it.  Definitely could be wrong, though.

Ruger will likely be much more interested in making the most of their investment in Marlin firearms, and is probably devoting a good deal of their talent in doing so.  Other projects, presumably far along in the development process, will appear, eventually.  I predict a tube-fed 10-22 sometime in the future, if only to be sellable in States that ban mag-fed rifles.  Perhaps also a tube-fed bolt-action .22 as well, for same reasons.

Having no special knowledge, I suspect that  Ruger is re-designing the former Marlin rifles to be adapted to lower-cost investment casting methods that Ruger typically uses. This takes time, but reduces costs. Also likely that Ruger is investigating making such rifles in such a way to make them readily adaptable to many different calibers, and perhaps take-down versions.  Time will tell.  

No doubt that Marlin aficionados will sneer at the Rulins, but One can only hope that Ruger sees fit to make their new rifle parts so they fit into older Marlins.  That would be a kind gesture, and perhaps a smart move on Ruger's part.

Link Posted: 6/12/2021 10:27:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Just saw one of these at my LGS.  First one I've seen in years and didn't look like it had been shot very much at all.  In very, very nice condition.  $999.99.  Handled it for a few minutes before realizing that a few hundred rounds of 44mag would cost as much as the gun
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top