Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/9/2018 2:33:05 PM EDT
This was probably already done and I looked but couldn't find it.

Can we get a thread of top tier plate carrier makers here and a link to their website? If this goes well, I'll put it together here in the OP. I'm sure others will find this info useful at some point.

Thanks in advance!

V

Updated on 5/15/2018
LIST:

Shellback Tactical https://www.shellbacktactical.com/
esstac https://www.esstac.com
skd http://www.skdtac.com/
LBT http://lbtinc.com/
Velocity Systems https://www.velsyst.com/
First Spear https://www.first-spear.com
Eagle Industries http://www.eagleindustries.com
Beez Combat Systems https://www.beezcombatsystems.com
Crye Precision http://www.cryeprecision.com/
Blue Force Gear https://www.blueforcegear.com/
Grey Ghost Gear https://greyghostgear.com/collections/plate-carriers
AWS https://www.awsin.com
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 2:39:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Esstac makes some amazing gear and I would highly recommend them. https://www.esstac.com
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 2:57:34 PM EDT
[#2]
My top 2 are esstac and SKD.

Specifically, esstac's Daeodon and Daeodon Light/ASS, and the SKD PIG.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 2:58:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Esstac makes some amazing gear and I would highly recommend them. https://www.esstac.com
View Quote
Yep, that's the list I use.

LBT - http://lbtinc.com/
Velocity Systems - https://www.velsyst.com/
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 3:00:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Esstac every time.  Awesome product, awesome people.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 3:08:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Esstac. I just got finished with Cola Warrior West IV, wore my new PC for basically four days straight. No chafing, no weirdness. I still need to fit it to me a bit more properly, but I'm extremely pleased with the quality.

Link Posted: 4/9/2018 3:24:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Esstac or FirstSpear for me
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 3:40:22 PM EDT
[#7]
First Spear.

What’s funny is they make some of the products you have listed above for others.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 3:44:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd put Eagle Industries in there too.

ETA: Also Beez Combat Systems, though I might not put them at the top above some of the others mentioned here. Where they excel is in making carriers in sizes, colors, and styles that others simply don't.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 3:49:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Esstac or SKD is your best bet.  First Spear is nice but ridiculously expensive.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 3:52:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 4:01:48 PM EDT
[#11]
+1 esstac
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 4:16:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

ETA: Also Beez Combat Systems, though I might not put them at the top above some of the others mentioned here. Where they excel is in making carriers in sizes, colors, and styles that others simply don't.
View Quote
First Spear is the old Eagle Industries. Eagle was bought out by ATI and after awhile the original group started First Spear.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 5:00:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I have the ESSTAC ASS.

Good enough to win Cola Warrior in.

Link Posted: 4/9/2018 5:06:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
First Spear is the old Eagle Industries. Eagle was bought out by ATI and after awhile the original group started First Spear.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't take this the wrong way but, what's your point? They're separate companies that make different products and that's what's relevant here.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 6:32:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Esstac stuff is really nice Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 9:10:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Esstac! It's the bomb.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 9:51:43 PM EDT
[#17]
This far an nobody said crye? Or BFG for that matter. I think in addition to quality in order for a brand to be top tier they need to do innovative stuff.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 10:07:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This far an nobody said crye? Or BFG for that matter. I think in addition to quality in order for a brand to be top tier they need to do innovative stuff.
View Quote
Quoted:Crye Precision
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 1:04:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Ok, I have everything so far compiled in the OP. Should we do a second tier group?
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 2:48:20 PM EDT
[#20]
when only the best will do
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 3:29:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Ok, I have everything so far compiled in the OP. Should we do a second tier group?
View Quote
Second tier should just read "stop being poor"
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 4:48:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Second tier should just read "stop being poor"
View Quote
indeed. or save up and be OK with not having something immediately
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 6:02:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Doesn't Tactical Tailor make GGGs stuff?
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 6:27:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Tac Tailor and GGG are one in the same -GGG is just an offshoot
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 6:46:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Is the LBT 6094 still considered a good carrier? Have two that need plates. I know they're getting older as far as some of the super lightweight minimalist carriers.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 7:25:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Is the LBT 6094 still considered a good carrier? Have two that need plates. I know they're getting older as far as some of the super lightweight minimalist carriers.
View Quote
Yes.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 4:36:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Well made but for full-price I think there are definitely better option.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 5:12:58 PM EDT
[#28]
@nvgeologist, @KaiK and @Click2Boom

How do you guys like the buckle system on the ESSTAC Daeodon Light versus a traditional cummerbund?

nvgeologist and Kaik, did you find that the buckle system held the PC tight enough to your body as you were navigating Cola Warrior course? Kaik, you were almost upside down on the container section and it did not look like the carrier road up a lot.

Kaik, you are obviously a big guy, is my assumption correct that you are a large in the Daeodon with 10x12" plates?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 5:48:26 PM EDT
[#29]
What's everyone thoughts on Warrior Assault Systems?
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 7:24:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

How do you guys like the buckle system on the ESSTAC Daeodon Light versus a traditional cummerbund?

nvgeologist and Kaik, did you find that the buckle system held the PC tight enough to your body as you were navigating Cola Warrior course? Kaik, you were almost upside down on the container section and it did not look like the carrier road up a lot.

Kaik, you are obviously a big guy, is my assumption correct that you are a large in the Daeodon with 10x12" plates?

Thanks
View Quote
It stays put. The buckles work great. They are a little hard to buckle sometimes. But that's not a big deal.

I have been all the way upside down with them doing close to the wall handstand pushups. It didn't move.

Yeah I have 10x12 special threat plates that ESSTAC sells on thier site.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 10:14:10 PM EDT
[#31]
esstac's Daeodon with two M4  & two pistol magazine carriers with High Com LIV large ESAPI ceramic plates is my duty setup using the cobra belt/buckle set up. Works great. The guys with the "deal" using Condor PC and AR500 steel hated theirs after only 4 hours of light training.

Thanks Stu for helping me get what I needed.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 9:56:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It stays put. The buckles work great. They are a little hard to buckle sometimes. But that's not a big deal.

I have been all the way upside down with them doing close to the wall handstand pushups. It didn't move.

Yeah I have 10x12 special threat plates that ESSTAC sells on thier site.
View Quote
Buckle master race. I workout in mine all the time. Perfectly comfortable.

Link Posted: 4/12/2018 11:31:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote
I've honestly only had it since Thursday, and haven't done a Cola Warrior run in it yet, just looked super tacticool all weekend.

I questioned them as to why they used plastic buckles instead of metal when I first put it on, and the answer of "weight" and "sometimes you want shit to break so you can get it off" made enough sense that I'm not swapping it out in the near future. I'll post more intelligent feedback and followup when I have some time in it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 11:34:43 AM EDT
[#34]
I use Shellback Tactical with good results
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 8:22:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Same here. I have an original Banshee (which is decidedly not tier 1) and I keep thinking I want to upgrade but not being able to find anything I really dislike about it. Also, I really like the admin pouch in the kangaroo pouch with mags in front.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 5:00:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
I am personally really stretching the word "use", but I've had the same experience using the Banshee. I've played with the idea of going with a few other carrier, especially the Esstac, but the Banshee has filled the minimal needs I have. Any reason it didn't make the list? Also curious about the Warrior DCS.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 6:03:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I am personally really stretching the word "use", but I've had the same experience using the Banshee. I've played with the idea of going with a few other carrier, especially the Esstac, but the Banshee has filled the minimal needs I have. Any reason it didn't make the list? Also curious about the Warrior DCS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How about the Banshee Elite 2.0? Heard a few rave reviews thrown around, especially on comfort and fit, and wondering if they're a good buy. Sounds like it's super-accommodating on plate variations as well going by BulletProofMe's sizing info.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 2:18:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Vel Tye is popular in government circles. It is mostly soft plus plates though.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 3:33:26 PM EDT
[#39]
How about Ferro Concepts? I am looking at a Slickster when funds allow.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 3:37:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
How about Ferro Concepts? I am looking at a Slickster when funds allow.
View Quote
Yep, should be on the list.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 3:56:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Mayflower APC
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 10:15:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Don't take this the wrong way but, what's your point? They're separate companies that make different products and that's what's relevant here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apologies.
Here in StL, many guys remember the old Eagle Industries and refer to it as such. They dont realize that the new Eagle Industries is not the old company and doesnt do what the old company did.
That's more of a local thing here that isnt applicable to this thread.
Sorry about that.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 2:03:45 AM EDT
[#43]
After seeing the esstac plate carrier I'm really lusting after a plate carrier setup. What do you guys think of the Daedon ASS package?

https://www.esstac.com/product-page/daeodon-ass-plate-package

Its either that or buy a carrier and get hesco 3610 plates. Which will definitely be more spendy.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 8:36:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
After seeing the esstac plate carrier I'm really lusting after a plate carrier setup. What do you guys think of the Daedon ASS package?

https://www.esstac.com/product-page/daeodon-ass-plate-package

Its either that or buy a carrier and get hesco 3610 plates. Which will definitely be more spendy.
View Quote
Why do you hate NIJ IV?
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 10:17:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Why do you hate NIJ IV?
View Quote
I legitimately have no idea what I'm doing. I just started looking into this and there's tons of options. What do you suggest? Keeping it light is my main concern.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 12:42:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I legitimately have no idea what I'm doing. I just started looking into this and there's tons of options. What do you suggest? Keeping it light is my main concern.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why do you hate NIJ IV?
Level IV is entirely unnecessary unless you'll be in environment where large caliber AP rounds are a prevalent threat.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with those Hescos other than they're single curve. I wholeheartedly recommend anyone using plates within the US to go with something like those Hescos, a level III+ ceramic/poly plate. Stops all common threats while still being fairly light.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 3:30:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Level IV is entirely unnecessary unless you'll be in environment where large caliber AP rounds are a prevalent threat.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with those Hescos other than they're single curve. I wholeheartedly recommend anyone using plates within the US to go with something like those Hescos, a level III+ ceramic/poly plate. Stops all common threats while still being fairly light.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why do you hate NIJ IV?

So the 3610 is a good choice right? It's a 3+ at 4.4lbs, multi curve too.

I'm looking at Esstac or Crye for the carrier, like with the plates, weight is a concern with mounting options being next. I'd like to stay simple, 3 rifle and pistol mags, ifak with tq, and the crye jpc with optional zip on packs looks really handy.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 4:49:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I'm looking at Esstac or Crye for the carrier, like with the plates, weight is a concern with mounting options being next. I'd like to stay simple, 3 rifle and pistol mags, ifak with tq, and the crye jpc with optional zip on packs looks really handy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why do you hate NIJ IV?

Absolutely the 3610 is a good choice. Exactly the kind of plate I recommend.

Carrier choice is a bit more complicated and various factors such as desired features, weight, plate size/cut, etc. all have to be considered. It's very much a personal thing and everyone is a bit different in this regard. My advice: get the simplest solution possible that allows you to do what you need it to do.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 5:37:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Carrier choice is a bit more complicated and various factors such as desired features, weight, plate size/cut, etc. all have to be considered. It's very much a personal thing and everyone is a bit different in this regard. My advice: get the simplest solution possible that allows you to do what you need it to do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why do you hate NIJ IV?

I like that advice, I have a similar mindset. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 8:51:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I like that advice, I have a similar mindset. Thanks for the info.
View Quote
Yep, I'd listen to cake over me. I honestly don't know anything, but I bought the highest protection possible. I figured, why not?

Either way, get some plates.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top