Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2023 4:08:19 PM EDT

So I am fully prepared to be flamed for this, but here I go..... I'm wanting to build a bolt gun, subsonic only- with suppressor, for use out to 150-200 yds. Eventually this will get topped with a thermal optic and used for "critter" control around the house (10ac). I had been planning on ruger ranch in 300 blk, but the 8.6 has my attention. I already have a silencerco Hybrid. Idealy this would bring down whitetail sized game, but I know thats a stretch. What other calibers should I be looking at? Anybody with real world 8.6 performance? It almost seems too good to be true.

Jake
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 5:30:28 PM EDT
[#1]
300black is going to be way cheaper to run and build and load

Garandthumb just did a getting shot at with subsonics video

300 blackout at over 100 yards was basically undetectable suppressed subs
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 6:52:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: turbobrick] [#2]
I haven't shot any animals with 8.6, but I've shot at the range and reloaded a ton so far.  I have a Mini Fix in 300blk, and I reload for it too.  If the goal was to shoot animals with it, the clear choice if 8.6.  I don't think its all that much more expensive than 300.  You can convert 6.5cm brass or buy new Q (Hornady) and Gorilla (Starline) brass.  If you stay with subs, cup and core projectiles are ok, if you go super you need to use monos.  So obviously, 338 projectiles are generally more expensive than 30 cal, but I've found great deals on 300 Sierra Marchkings and Nosler eTips.  The 350 grain Maker expanders have shot great and thats what I'd use for hunting subs.  My 8.6 is a Remington 700 sbr that I put in a Pork Sword chassis, Q Fix stock, Timney elite, Faxon 12" that I just had cut to 8" (I did this because I decided to not bother with supers and lose the weight and length), Hybrid 46 with Rex adapter while I wait on Porq Chop approval.  The accuracy and consistency I've had at 300 has been excellent, and it still really bangs the steel at that distance.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 1:28:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I did the same.

Went with a 300blk bolt pistol, Pork Sword to be exact. Put a super Hogster on it. Suppressed it.

Killed a few chicken killing foxes with it. I honestly prefer a semi auto though.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 1:35:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I also want to do this, but I can't see a reason why I shouldn't just get a 308 and buy subs for it. Almost all bolt action rifles will be the same size and weight regardless if it's 300 vs 308. Then you've got a real full power option if needed.
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 12:09:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SteveJobs:
I also want to do this, but I can't see a reason why I shouldn't just get a 308 and buy subs for it. Almost all bolt action rifles will be the same size and weight regardless if it's 300 vs 308. Then you've got a real full power option if needed.
View Quote
this is the route i went with mainly for the case capacity difference

one thing to watch for is the barrel twist rate , most 308 barrels are 1in10 twist and won't handle heavy subs as good as a faster twist 300blk barrel.  on the flip side you get to shoot heavier supers with that case capacity

Link Posted: 10/18/2023 7:55:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By SteveJobs:
View Quote

You are correct if a Remington 700 or 7 is what you use (or other so called short actions) for a 300 BO. There are a number of smaller footprint bolt guns. Though they are not as common or cheap. I believe the Howa is the most available and probably the cheapest. The Mini Fix, and the Howa and maybe CZ, are the only ones that come to mind that are still in production. JTAC uses the Howa for their Elf Owl bolt guns.

I like the idea of the 8.6, but I don't understand not going to a larger caliber such as .375 to .458. Hell make it a .50 like JD Jones did. The only way to increase energy in a subsonic caliber is to increase mass.
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 7:59:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Rem 700 Tac in 300blk, have it trued and rock n roll.   Do not jump on the 8.6 bandwagon, its way too expensive and there have been issues with projecriles disintergrating due to the barrel twist
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 8:15:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I really want a B&T SPR300.
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 9:37:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By badguybuster:
Rem 700 Tac in 300blk, have it trued and rock n roll.   Do not jump on the 8.6 bandwagon, its way too expensive and there have been issues with projecriles disintergrating due to the barrel twist
View Quote
Meh, .338 projectiles aren't that much more expensive.  And the projectile problems are overblown and only an issue for people who struggle with reading.  Don't run cup and core bullets at supersonic velocities, simple.
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 10:47:33 PM EDT
[#10]
In my opinion 300 blk subs are less than I want for whitetail sized game. Sure they can get the job done, but they leave a lot to be desired. If whitetail are on the menu with subs I would definitely lean 8.6.
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 11:53:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By axpilot:

So I am fully prepared to be flamed for this, but here I go..... I'm wanting to build a bolt gun, subsonic only- with suppressor, for use out to 150-200 yds.
View Quote

Years back, I saw a youtube video of a dude and his daughter shooting a bolt-action .300BO with a can, and it was CRAZY quiet.  No reason for anyone to flame you, I think the suppressed, subsonic bolt-action is an underrated type of gun.

There are even more options now...in addition to the Spectre and JDJ's Whisper cartridges, there's the blackout family now, including the 8.6 blackout, which is... tasty.  A .510 whisper would be super cool, but the budget has to be pretty high for that, between brass and the can.
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 11:45:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Working on putting together an 8.6 sbr with 8.5” mostek barrel.   Action is Aero Solus.  Can will be AB raptor 10
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 10:37:02 AM EDT
[#13]
I think it’s a fine idea. I am trying to find out how much of pain it is to remove the barrel on a CZ 600 trail, if it’s doable I’m going to get one, chop it down and put a LPVO on it, use a clip on thermal with it. It will complement my 300blk AR I think.

I also just got an AR10 lower to build a 8.6 blk sbr so maybe I will build a bolt sibling for it too.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 5:47:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Funny how all the arguments against 8.6 are rehashed versions of the arguments against 300BO. I have a fair amount of 300BO guns that I like and recently bought a couple 12.5” barrels from faxon one for AR and one for rem type action to build.

Nothing to add other than I have 8.6 dies, components and chamber gauges and I think it will ultimately take over for the 300BO I use in the exact roll you describe
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 9:48:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By FreeToProsper:
Funny how all the arguments against 8.6 are rehashed versions of the arguments against 300BO. I have a fair amount of 300BO guns that I like and recently bought a couple 12.5" barrels from faxon one for AR and one for rem type action to build.

Nothing to add other than I have 8.6 dies, components and chamber gauges and I think it will ultimately take over for the 300BO I use in the exact roll you describe
View Quote

Its really hard to argue with a cartridge that can push a 350 grain projectile subsonic almost all the way through a whitetail long way and look like this at the rear hip.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/19/2023 10:57:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ALASKANFIRE] [#16]
Do you reload? If not do you want factory ammo that doesn't cost a fortune? If that's a concern I'd go 300 Blackout or 450 Bushmaster and not look back.

For a dedicated subsonic round the smaller cases seem to work better. If I were doing a dedicated sub gun it would not be a 308 sized case.
The rounds I looked hard at before buying a 300 were
300 Blackout
338 Spectre
350 Legend
357 Magnum/38sp
375 Raptor
44 mag
450 Bushmaster
45 Raptor

I don't hunt anything so projectile cost and availability was what won me over. I would love a 500 S&W bolt gun or even a 50 Beowulf bolt gun.

Originally Posted By turbobrick:
Meh, .338 projectiles aren't that much more expensive.  And the projectile problems are overblown and only an issue for people who struggle with reading.  Don't run cup and core bullets at supersonic velocities, simple.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By turbobrick:
Originally Posted By badguybuster:

Link to cheaper 338 bullets? What keeps me out of a couple different 338's is projectile cost. If I was hunting and only using premium bullets I get it but for plinking it sucks. I bought some 300gr stuff a while back when I was sure I was going to build a Spectre but never pulled the trigger.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 12:24:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
Do you reload? If not do you want factory ammo that doesn't cost a fortune? If that's a concern I'd go 300 Blackout or 450 Bushmaster and not look back.

For a dedicated subsonic round the smaller cases seem to work better. If I were doing a dedicated sub gun it would not be a 308 sized case.
The rounds I looked hard at before buying a 300 were
300 Blackout
338 Spectre
350 Legend
357 Magnum/38sp
375 Raptor
44 mag
450 Bushmaster
45 Raptor

I don't hunt anything so projectile cost and availability was what won me over. I would love a 500 S&W bolt gun or even a 50 Beowulf bolt gun.

Link to cheaper 338 bullets? What keeps me out of a couple different 338's is projectile cost. If I was hunting and only using premium bullets I get it but for plinking it sucks. I bought some 300gr stuff a while back when I was sure I was going to build a Spectre but never pulled the trigger.
View Quote

300s
285s
There are other deals out there right now for more in the 220-250 class, I have a ton of 300smks that were .48 each.  Just have to set alerts and keep your eyes open.  Its not the cheapest thing to plink with, but it is a riot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top