Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2018 4:41:49 AM EDT
How did you folks mount slings to your Winchester 94's in 30-30? pics would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 8:36:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I drilled and installed a sling mount on the butt stock and installed a clamp on mount to the Magazine tube. bad pic, sorry. Rifle is a Model 94T, Lyman 66 peep sight.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 9:08:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Mag tube adapter and butt stock swivel.

The M203 conversion was a bit more extensive.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 11:43:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Clothes line rope.

Link Posted: 8/21/2018 10:13:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mag tube adapter and butt stock swivel.

The M203 conversion was a bit more extensive.
View Quote
m203 conversion?  
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 2:44:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 4:27:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I drilled and tapped the forearm/barrel band and used a threaded sling stud. Gives a cleaner more factory look over the mag tube mount.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 8:32:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Back in the day the preferred approach was to attach a sling swivel stud to the front barrel band. This was done b drilling and tapping the for end for a swivel stud, but since you only have about 2 threads worth of purchase, the stud was also welded to the barrel band, ground smooth and the weld cold blued.   It's a lot stronger than inletting the forend  for a blind nut.

Today, you can buy Model 94 barrel bands with the stud already attached.

I won't say Winchester never added sling swivels to a Model 94 carbine, since Winchester would do pretty much anything on a custom order basis.  But generally speaking, Winchester only put sling swivels as an option on rifle and short rifle pattern Model 94s.  The front swivel was attached to the end cap (since rifle and short rifle Model 94s don't have a barrel band).  The rear swivel was attached to an inletted base plate secured by two screws.

Below ae a pair of pre-64 Model 94s and you can see the after factory front swivel stud on the upper Model 94, as well as a regular screwed in rear swivel.   It'll affect the collector value of a pre-64 Model 94, but not all that much.  Personally, I like the way the Model 94 carries in the hand, but if you want to add a sling, I wouldn't worry about the slight hit in value, especially if it's in less than excellent condition anyway.

Link Posted: 9/19/2018 10:03:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks - I must have one of those.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 11:59:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Please don’t fuck up your original wood like some of the above posters did.  It’s sad to walk through a gunshow, eyeing lever actions and seeing so many drilled. Funny thing is the seller usually wants the same price as non drilled (that’s a hint that he’s a dumbass).   If you’re going to drill, replace the original wood with something new, then drill all you want.
Personally, I carry mine in hand as it’s so light, it isn’t a bother
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 10:28:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Please don’t fuck up your original wood like some of the above posters did.  It’s sad to walk through a gunshow, eyeing lever actions and seeing so many drilled. Funny thing is the seller usually wants the same price as non drilled (that’s a hint that he’s a dumbass).   If you’re going to drill, replace the original wood with something new, then drill all you want.
Personally, I carry mine in hand as it’s so light, it isn’t a bother
View Quote
I agree with you, in the sense that I'd be unlikely to do that to a pre-64 Model 94 and certainly not to a rare, uncommon, or otherwise more collectible Model 94 pre-1953 (long fore end), or pre-WWII Model 94.  But obviously given that I own one where it was done prior to my buying it, I wouldn't pass up on buying one as a shooter, particularly as it will knock $100 or so off the price I'd have to pay for it.

However, you need to lighten up a bit.  If the OP is talking about a newer post 1963, or the post 1982 AE, cross bolt or tang safety Model 94 with basically zero collector value to start with, then it makes absolutely no difference.  If it adds to the functionality for him, then there's no reason not to do it - just have it done right.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 10:03:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Used a loop shotgun sling on my marlin 336. Works great but my rifle has a pistol grip
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top