Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2020 1:26:41 AM EDT
I have been having problems with primers piercing in my scar 16 lately and decided to get out my firing pin protrusion gauge. When it failed on both sides of the gauge (.028" and .036") I decided to check it out with a digital calier depth gauge and found the firing pin was protruding .044"! Well there's the problem. I put it in a drill and filed and stoned it down to .033" and will have to test it at the range. A brand new AR15 bold and firing pin I have check out at .030"

I figure I have some 7000-8000 rounds through it now as well as a bunch of dry firing. I think the tapered shape on the flange that bottoms out on the bolt is the culprit where repeated impact forced the firing pin to actually stretch.

In ARs firing pin stretch is a phenomenon I have only seen maybe three or four times in over a decade of gauging maybe hundreds of thousands of rifles for the Army as a small arms repairer. The shape of the firing pin flange and rear of the bolt are essentially flat which is probably the reason for the lack of this issue in AR type rifles.

I am wondering if any of you have experienced this in your guns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top