Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2021 10:06:35 AM EDT
Team

i have a para fal with DSA 13" barrel and 3" flash hider.   I use this as my primary pig fun

been trying different red dot optics but my eyes are getting bad in old age

we ambushed some pigs during the day last week at about 150 yards and i need some magnification

thinking ACOG with 308 reticle.   dont want a magnifier behind a RDS

what has worked for you?
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:43:13 AM EDT
[#1]
3x acog or comparables prism scope would be right up your alley. Just check your eye relief situation. I haven't tried mounting anything to an FAL in years.

Other wise like a TR24 or similar LPVO would be handy for you
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 7:07:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd rock a LPVO...a Steiner P4XI is a great choice...
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 8:03:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Same issues with ageing eyes, use to love ACOGs but now the reticle is unreadable.  You should look at
an optic with a quick focus eyepiece like the Primary Arms 3 power prism scopes with the ACSS reticles.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 8:27:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Get a lpvo.  1-8 is what i use with my bad eyes.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 9:51:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a reddot  that you can switch between a dot ,cross and dot in a circle. I let some use it and while they had trouble with the dot the loved the other two.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 8:41:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Liking my Hensoldt in para mount......need to find an illuminator for it sometime.

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:10:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got a standard FALand have tried a few optics on it with poor results.

Vortex Strike Eagle 1 x 6  . Just too big feeling and adds some weight.

Lucid 4x that a buddy gave me. It broke after 10 rounds and factory would not fix. Fuck them

ACOG - 4X32 was probably the best match up , but I had just swapped it from an AR to see how it worked. I've been kicking around the PA 3x though , I may try one out.

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:08:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I have shot scout rifles for years. I even went to Gunsite several times when Col Cooper still owned and ran it.

I use the Leupold M8 EER 2x scope on a lot of things. I bought.like 6 or 7 of them in the 1990's. They are very fast. I can snap shoot a can at 20 feet or take a 200 yard shot just about as quick. 300 plus if you slow down a bit.

You have more leeway on mounting distance than a pistol scope.

There are other long eye relief scope that do thing better but none are better all around than a M8.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 9:56:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I highly recommend primary arms 3x or 5x prisms.  

I have a 5x on my FAL and love it.     I wear glasses and see iron and red dots fine, but ACOGs come across fuzzy for some reason.

At least with the primary arms you can adjust the focus.

I also have it on a QD mount So I can yank it off and still have irons.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 1:30:08 AM EDT
[#10]
I've got an ACOG TA11E (red chevron) directly attached to a DSA railed dust cover  on my favorite Argy Franken FAL.   Course I've got about $550 into that glass (I scored).  Other FALs wear an Israeli SUIT (on Hebrew War Hammer from DSA) and a Hensholt FERO Z24 (on STG58 Gunplumber built for me). Neither of the later have been out for sighting in yet.

Franken FAL + ACOG can hit clays @ 200 yds and 12" steel @ 400 (maybe not every round).

Nothing blurry (and my eyes suck + astigmatism) and decent eye relief . Now would I spend $1,200 on that today ? No way.  I think a 5x Prism from Primary would be great. I have their stuff on other rifles but I DO  get a bit of astigmatism "blotch" from their reticle especially if too bright so I usually leave illumination off.  Maybe it has something to do with how they illuminate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top