Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 10:07:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I am in a similar situation as the OP and have an old Lyman turret as well as 2 Rockchuckers. The Hornady LNL bushings made my life much easier and are what makes the RCs work for me. I am low quantity reloader as well, usually 50 rounds at a sitting once or twice a month. the bushings allow me to switch between calibers and not have to worry about getting the dies set up correctly again. I even bought 2 seater dies for 308 so I can leave 1 for 168gr and one for 175gr bullets. As much as I would love to have a mac-daddy dillon capable of churning out piles of ammo, I just dont have the time or need currently for one, although I do glance thru their catalog everytime it comes trying to rationalize the purchase. Maybe some day. Interested to see what direction the OP goes in.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 12:10:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I see a lot of 550 suggestions and I really like mine but you may not feel this way if you knew the cost.  I thought it could help if I shared what I have in mine which is pretty basic other than I focused on the ease of swapping calibers. I don't like the process of die swaps. It's very easy to speed up the process of changing calibers by spending more money.

Using today's pricing taken from Dillon my setup would cost about 1k, (479.95 C model).  I have 1 spare toolhead (26.00) , 2 Deluxe quick change (112.95 each), the Strong mount (50.95) and 3 additional caliber conversion kits (47.95 each). I load 9mm, 357, 223 and 6.8.

The 550 makes caliber changes quick and easy by design when you are setup for it. If I'm unscrewing dies to change calibers then I'm cheating myself on one of the 550's best features.

Again, I'm just sharing what I have in my setup.  A cost estimate that does not include shipping or the money Inline Fabrication has received for their great products.

If the 550 cost is more than you care for but want some convenience in caliber swaps perhaps the Redding T7 is for you; with a couple of turret heads you will be around $500 ballpark'ish.
A Rockchucker (150) with the addition of a Hornady kit on sale Back order Midway (9.99 each, I do not own) might be the cheapest method for quick caliber changes. If I didn't have the need to crank out 300 rounds or greater on occasion I would do this RC setup for the ease of performing a caliber swap and the limited out of pocket.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Upgrade-to-my-Rock-Chucker-using-Hornady-LnL-bushings-/42-386575/

You know the cost can be spread out with additional items purchased over time or received as gifts from family and don't forget the EE. I also look at Armslist and Craiglist for FTF only.

1. Dillon 550
2. RC with Hornady bushing kit
3. Redding T7

Good Luck
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 3:39:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think if they were a little cheaper I would get a turret, but $350 is way too close to the price of a progressive. I know its kinda apples and orange but...
View Quote
The Classic Turret is good to go.  $210 decked out
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 12:52:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I originally compared costs between the LnL and a Dillon 650, and decided to go with the LnL.  There is a tradeoff between the two (as well as between the LnL and the 550) with a number of features.

First, the ideal way to set up those Dillon presses is with multiple tool heads, essentially one for every caliber you'll load.  The LnL, on the other hand, features their LnL bushings that let you put dies wherever you want, while leaving them adjusted the way you set them.  On the surface this makes the LnL look like a much better deal because "if I want to load the same caliber in different ways, I would need different tool heads and die sets for those different ways."  Which is true, but not the whole picture.  Once a loader gets a load dialed in, he will likely want to lock that load down so it can be reproduced exactly every single time, and all he'll have to do is install that tool head.  With the LnL you can put any die in any slot, but it takes more time to set up the press for that "perfect" load.

For volume loading, a case feeder sure speeds things up, even if your volume is only a couple hundred rounds at a time.  Changing a case feeder over from one caliber to another requires making essentially the same adjustments, whether you're using a Dillon, a Hornady or a "Brand X" system.  Dillon's case feeders are designed so that you just swap in caliber specific parts to change from one caliber to another.  On the other hand, Hornady's case feeder requires actually adjusting things like the drop tube height, and potentially looking up exactly which feed parts you need for that particular caliber.  Had I known about this particular difference, I might have saved up a little longer and gone with Dillon.  As it is, if you're at all mechanically minded - and you don't feel put upon to have to tweak stuff a little now and then - it's not a really big deal most of the time.

To me, the difference between going with a Dillon or a Hornady isn't quite a "Ford versus Chevy" question.  It's more a question of whether you want a fully decked out Tahoe, or a Bronco with removable back seats and connections to let you equip it for any job you want it to do...  They're different, both quite capable, but not exactly comparable animals...
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 9:30:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a rock chucker then got an ar15 and moved to a 550 for many years and was very happy for many years.  Then I started USPSA and now have a 650 with case and bullet feeders.  You sound like a prime candidate for a 550 if you chose to go with dillon.  The only reason I really like the dillon line is once you get things set they just run.  last winter I did a run of 13,300 9mm and the only down time was at about 7k when I pulled the shell plate to clean out some powder.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 8:53:28 AM EDT
[#6]
For a single stage, I’ve been very happy with my Hornady Iron press.

if you’re going progressive, go Dillon.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top