BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2020 7:49:37 AM EDT
So did I do ok,

$540 plus shipping

Link Posted: 2/2/2020 8:40:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Is the receiver an Imbel? That’d be good. Muzzle device is pinned and a stud for the original pistol grip has been ground off to install that hideous stock. A new one would need to be welded on if you wanted to do away with that thumb hole. It’s a Century, so......YMMV
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 9:32:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is the receiver an Imbel? That'd be good. No idea, I will not have it for a week

Muzzle device is pinned thats no biggy

and a stud for the original pistol grip has been ground off to install that hideous stock. A new one would need to be welded on if you wanted to do away with that thumb hole.
Well shit

It's a Century, so......YMMV you do not need to go to Vegas to gamble
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/2/2020 9:38:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Is the receiver an Imbel? That'd be good. Muzzle device is pinned and a stud for the original pistol grip has been ground off to install that hideous stock. A new one would need to be welded on if you wanted to do away with that thumb hole. It's a Century, so......YMMV
View Quote
a different inch pattern lower would take care of the stock issues, no?
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 10:00:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

a different inch pattern lower would take care of the stock issues, no?
View Quote
this

also do the sights look normal?

there is a weird rail bolted on the upper
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 1:00:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
this

View Quote
I've had a similar Century Arms L1A1 for a long time. The adjustable gas block on the front is nice. My .02 cents worth:

The sights look to be original. The receiver may take inch pattern mags or it may take metric mags. Inch pattern mags will not work in a metric receiver, but metric mags will fit a little loosely and work in an inch receiver.
Yes, per others, get a replacement lower, and put a regular polymer stock and grip on it, instead of that thumbhole thing.  The grips are different between metric FAL types and L1A1 inch types. The rail cover is an old style replacement dustcover rail combo. I bought one way back when it was the only thing I could find for mine. I've since replaced it with a newer DSA dust cover with the correct Picatinny rail made into it. I couldn't give the old one away. I ended up tossing the old one into a dealers "Odd Parts for Sale " bin at a local gun show. Here are some parts vendors that may prove helpful:

Ernst Armory

Apex Gun Parts - FAL

DS Arms FAL parts

HTH
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 2:09:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Haven’t seen one that cheap in a while.   Crapshoot with century, I have one and it works well.   You did well.

That rail is a typical cheap mount solution for the FAL.  You’ll be able to remove it easily.    The rear sight, IDK.  Mine does not fold but otherwise looks like yours.    Pretty sure mine was built on the STG58 kit into a ban gun.   The nice part was the original STG bbl and stocks came with it.    Mine came with a phony flash suppressor that mounted via set screws.  Never put it on.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 9:39:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've had a similar Century Arms L1A1 for a long time. The adjustable gas block on the front is nice. My .02 cents worth:

The sights look to be original. The receiver may take inch pattern mags or it may take metric mags. Inch pattern mags will not work in a metric receiver, but metric mags will fit a little loosely and work in an inch receiver.
Yes, per others, get a replacement lower, and put a regular polymer stock and grip on it, instead of that thumbhole thing.  The grips are different between metric FAL types and L1A1 inch types. The rail cover is an old style replacement dustcover rail combo. I bought one way back when it was the only thing I could find for mine. I've since replaced it with a newer DSA dust cover with the correct Picatinny rail made into it. I couldn't give the old one away. I ended up tossing the old one into a dealers "Odd Parts for Sale " bin at a local gun show. Here are some parts vendors that may prove helpful:

Ernst Armory

Apex Gun Parts - FAL

DS Arms FAL parts

HTH
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
this

Ernst Armory

Apex Gun Parts - FAL

DS Arms FAL parts

HTH
Thanks, when I get it in hand Ill have more questions and take better photos.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 9:42:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Haven't seen one that cheap in a while.   Crapshoot with century, I have one and it works well.   You did well.

That rail is a typical cheap mount solution for the FAL.  You'll be able to remove it easily.    The rear sight, IDK.  Mine does not fold but otherwise looks like yours.    Pretty sure mine was built on the STG58 kit into a ban gun.   The nice part was the original STG bbl and stocks came with it.    Mine came with a phony flash suppressor that mounted via set screws.  Never put it on.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/857/6A54A22B-4541-4B61-9F5D-B9F9BF28DBD5_jpe-1260030.JPG
View Quote
Thank you also.

I low bid on a lot of guns, often with little info and bad photos. And in this case little knowledge on the gun.
sometimes I win
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 10:10:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Just a couple of thoughts:

If it shoots well, leave the upper receiver alone, if it ain't broke - don't fix it!

Check to see if the feed ramps have a double scallop, or a single scallop (Widow's Peak).  Could indicate the presence of problems, but see above.

Unlike DCVER's STG, yours is built on an Inch pattern kit.  Many parts aren't interchangeable.  If you're lucky, the upper hasn't been cut for Inch mags and you can find Metric much easier.

There are replacement pistol grips studs available to change out the butt-hole stock.  Shouldn't need to replace the whole lower.

The top cover mount looks to be an A.R.M.S mount.  Sorry, don't know much about them.  DSA makes a good mount that is similar.  I use the older, hard to find Grenadier Precision mount.  Someone here sells a rail that mount directly to the top of a standard dust cover.

Shoot it, see how it runs, enjoy it.  Then fix what needs to be fixed.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 2:16:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Try this -

https://ernstarmory.com/product.sc?productId=468
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 5:12:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Try this -

https://ernstarmory.com/product.sc?productId=468
View Quote
Super cool,

when I get it in hand I'll learn more about the parts
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 5:30:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Not Imbel.  Century cast inch pattern with the "unibrow" feedramp.

See if it runs before dumping money into it.  Many unibrow's run fine, some don't.

Post pic of feedramp to confirm.

ETA: that brake is held on by a pin that is blind welded on the bottom.  You will see the discoloration on the bottom side of the brake.  If you file this weld, you can see the head of the pin and knock it out.  Then install inch muzzle device of your choosing.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 7:07:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Is the receiver an Imbel? That’d be good. Muzzle device is pinned and a stud for the original pistol grip has been ground off to install that hideous stock. A new one would need to be welded on if you wanted to do away with that thumb hole. It’s a Century, so......YMMV
View Quote
There is more than one way to fix the ground off stud.  Years ago a guy made replacement studs and sold them on falfiles.  You rolled the rivet style head on the inside of the lower just like the original on the inch versions.  They weren’t welded.  Century did grind them off and sometimes got angry on the lower receiver.  They at times buggered the hole out too big.

Take that ugly stock off and look.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 9:44:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Might be able to source a replacement PG stud / bushing at your local hardware store.
Look for a Hillman brand "bronze flange bearing" size 1/4 x 3/8 x 15/32 x 1/2 inch.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 8:46:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Thanks, when I get it in hand Ill have more questions and take better photos.
View Quote
Did you ever get it in hand...just curious on how it turned out for you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top