Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2018 2:17:04 AM EDT
Anyone here submitted a form 4 post 41F who has a UPIN?

I had to get a UPIN (unique personal identification number) through the DOJ because of being a victim of ID theft.

I am not able to pass a NICS check without it. There is a line for it on a 4473.

There is no place to enter it on a form 4,

Anyone here encountered an issue surrounding this? What was the process and outcome?
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 4:55:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Anyone here submitted a form 4 post 41F who has a UPIN?

I had to get a UPIN (unique personal identification number) through the DOJ because of being a victim of ID theft.

I am not able to pass a NICS check without it. There is a line for it on a 4473.

There is no place to enter it on a form 4,

Anyone here encountered an issue surrounding this? What was the process and outcome?
View Quote
I can't tell you what the outcome is going to be yet, but I have a UPIN and just sent off a Form 4.  I just attached a cover letter to the Form 4 explaining that I have the UPIN.

This is the procedure I've used before without issue, but this will be my first transfer post 41F, so who knows how it will go.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 5:17:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I need the get a upin, I got delayed on every firearm transfer before I got my carry license. I had a f4 disapproved a few months ago, turns out it was a false deny on the NICS.

My examiner got it straightened out within a week, yet I sit here going on 4 months on a background check. I'd like to know if attaching a upin will avoid the prolonged background check. I'm all for anything that keeps me from having issues in the future.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 5:58:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I think the cover letter is a good idea, and I would additionally list it on the FD-258 fingerprint cards in the MNU (Misc. Number) block.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 1:12:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Interesting idea about the cover sheet... the only issue is my Form 4's have been submitted by Silencer Shop and I don't know if they are able to include something like that, or the UPIN number on the finger prints as was suggested..

@SilencerShop

Any suggestions or input on this?

I just received a denial due to this and in the process of attempting to contact the examiner...
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 11:12:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 7:57:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Interesting idea about the cover sheet... the only issue is my Form 4's have been submitted by Silencer Shop and I don't know if they are able to include something like that, or the UPIN number on the finger prints as was suggested..

@SilencerShop

I just received a denial due to this and in the process of attempting to contact the examiner...
View Quote
Your in the same boat I was 3 months ago as far as the disapproved f4. Contact the examiner and they will get it sorted out, go ahead and resubmit because they will ask you to anyway. If you pay with a card they say it knocks about 2 weeks off, they pushed mine through quick. From submitted to stamp in hand was about 65 days.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 9:03:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Your in the same boat I was 3 months ago as far as the disapproved f4. Contact the examiner and they will get it sorted out, go ahead and resubmit because they will ask you to anyway. If you pay with a card they say it knocks about 2 weeks off, they pushed mine through quick. From submitted to stamp in hand was about 65 days.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@SilencerShop

Thanks for the feedback!  Any chance you had any additional pending? If so, how were those handled?
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 1:40:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thanks for the feedback!  Any chance you had any additional pending? If so, how were those handled?
View Quote
Yes I had two from 2/7 and two with mid September pending dates.  One from 2/7 was approved mid December and the other is still pending background check. My examiner said they would flag my other forms to be sure they don't get denied but I'm not going to hold my breath on that.

She was very helpful getting the one from 10/16 fixed but it still cost me 3 months. She was sure the background check was accurate as false denials are extremely rare. The funny part is it only took 1 week to run my background check again to find out it was indeed a false denial. That's what I can't figure out because I'm 4 months in on a background check for the other 2/7 form.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 1:22:04 AM EDT
[#9]
@Aby001

Just checking for any additional input on your re-submission.

Once you re-submitted, how long before you contacted ATF and spoke with the examiner to get things moving?

I was told to give it enough time to get entered into the system, and am wondering how long that generally took...

Any other advice?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 2:15:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
@Aby001

Just checking for any additional input on your re-submission.

Once you re-submitted, how long before you contacted ATF and spoke with the examiner to get things moving?

I was told to give it enough time to get entered into the system, and am wondering how long that generally took...

Any other advice?

Thanks!
View Quote
It took about 7 weeks from sending it to approval. I paid with a card as my examiner explained that would take 2 weeks off the wait because I could send the form directly to her and she could handle the payment.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 5:50:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Writing it on the fingerprint cards is not going to help when they run NICS. Even though the two checks are trying to do the same thing, they are completely separate ways of doing it. God Bless government redundancy, especially once you add in that your local dealer is going to do another NICS for the 4473. Anyway, you really are giving government drones way too much credit if you believe they are going to think about checking the fingerprint card for a UPIN when something comes up in NICS.

If I had a UPIN, I might actually write it into block 2a, along with my name and address. Even that would most likely go unnoticed by the government automatons, though, so the cover letter is probably the best idea. It stands out and grabs their attention.

P.S. If ATF or the NFA has a suggestion box, you might recommend that they add a place on the NFA forms for the UPIN, like there is on the 4473.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top