Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2020 1:16:11 PM EDT
Im looking at a msar xm17e4 really hard. It’s a low 10k serial number. I don’t know what gen it is or when made. I don’t know if mag release is plastic or metal. Kinda thought metal but don’t know till I go look at it again. It’s $1150. In real nice shape. Mag release works. Don’t remember of metal or plastic but thought metal. It felt real good to me holding it. I’m a lefty and that’s why I never owned a aug and wanted one many times and could had one at a good deal once and passed. I figure this is closer I’ll get to a aug for a lefty lol. The action seems tough like it has real strong spring. Smoothness ok but not supper smooth or anything more like a ar15 lol just real strong spring to cycle bcg back.

I also want to find out about ratworkx bcg. Are they better than factory msar ones? I don’t know the pluses about them and there 20/20 sear if needed.

Anyway sounds like ratworkx lefty bcg be hard to come by. I would like some insight on there bcg. Does the factory one swap sides for lefty shooter or you have to get a lefty bcg? What is different from gen 4 and 5? Don’t know which gen it is.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 1:57:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy a Tabor or X95 and make it a lefty. Safer purchase and parts will be available longer and easier. I have an X95 and used to have an MSAR. I liked the MSAR but am happy I do not own it now because of parts issues.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 2:55:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I handled one and liked it but not shot one the x95. I had a chance to get one from a guy but it was a early gen one. Not sure which I would like better. That’s my only thing with msar is parts availability. I already have another gun another brand in that boat lol. I’m like you try to stay away from it. But I do like how it feels. I still like the ps90 just gotten expensive should have kept the one I had. Just did not like long mags for carring but great for just one or two mag setup. But I’m still interested in a msar or x95. Just don’t know if I want to spend that much. I got other things to work on also lol. For now I am tying to find out more about the msar and ratworx parts.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 5:21:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree with MUGLOVE on this issue. I have both an MSAR STG-556 E4 and a X95. I like my MSAR and mine works 100% but I don't shoot it much because parts are impossible to find and from how the future of this company looks will never be available again. Watch Gun Broker I got my X95 for $1450. Right now there are some SAR Tavor's on there for even cheaper. You will not be disappointed with the Tavor. If the MSAR breaks you may SOL.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 5:34:10 PM EDT
[#4]
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/865175043

Check this out.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 5:50:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Pass on anything MSAR

Spend a night and search this very subforum back to 2008/2009 to get the real scoop.

If Ratworx no longer has left hand bolts... you will never find a left hand bolt then.  They are your only source for spare/replacement MSAR parts.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 6:38:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I figured that be the case. If I can’t get a left hand bolt then no point getting it. That’s all I would need right? It’s a shame aug never made there’s ambi at some point in time. Arg! I’ll be checking with ratworkx.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 6:53:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Ratworx LH bcg, has worked fine.

I do wish Styer had just made them so you could flip the bolt around and switch ejection direction though.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 7:02:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Fxntime, I agree! What serial number range is yours? How long you owned your lh bolt? I emailed ratworx we shall see if he will ever make anymore lh bolts.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 10:59:30 PM EDT
[#9]
OP, RATWORX has lefty & righties & 2020 sears I believe.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 12:14:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Also, I paid $999 for my E4 MSAR new so it is worth less than that now, not more, under the parts circumstances.

I paid $1500 for the X95 with a Meprolight optic included, used.

Look around.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 2:43:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks I’ll keep looking awhile back seen them $800-900 a couple times and one for $700 once. So I’m sure I can find one around $700-$800 surely. I like the e4 myself. Longs a gen 4 and made before 2010. Just hope I can get a left hand bolt.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 8:10:20 PM EDT
[#12]
To the OP...

Another option you may not be aware of is that the MSAR E4 stock can be used, together with an MSAR trigger pack, on a Steyr AUG.

I have a friend who wanted a left handed AUG and also wanted to use NATO mags. Well, this is normally not possible.

I found out that you could use the MSAR E4 stock on an AUG so I bought a left handed AUG bolt for him. Then I took my AUG, threw the MSar E4 stock and trigger pack in it, along with the AUG LH bolt and test fired it with a Surefure 60rd mag jsut for extra fun. It all works! and it works perfect!. I am not the only one who has done this. It really works, perfectly.

It is absolutely sacrilegious, yes, but oh so AUGsome.

So try to buy just an MSAR E4 stock and trigger pack, or buy a complete gun, keep the parts you need and sell the rest. There is definitely a secondary market for MSAR parts.

tsh77769

Link Posted: 4/13/2020 2:37:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
To the OP...

Another option you may not be aware of is that the MSAR E4 stock can be used, together with an MSAR trigger pack, on a Steyr AUG.

I have a friend who wanted a left handed AUG and also wanted to use NATO mags. Well, this is normally not possible.

I found out that you could use the MSAR E4 stock on an AUG so I bought a left handed AUG bolt for him. Then I took my AUG, threw the MSar E4 stock and trigger pack in it, along with the AUG LH bolt and test fired it with a Surefure 60rd mag jsut for extra fun. It all works! and it works perfect!. I am not the only one who has done this. It really works, perfectly.

It is absolutely sacrilegious, yes, but oh so AUGsome.

So try to buy just an MSAR E4 stock and trigger pack, or buy a complete gun, keep the parts you need and sell the rest. There is definitely a secondary market for MSAR parts.

tsh77769

View Quote

Hell, barrels alone sell for $300-$400 in the rare case they pop up for sale.

Some dude was looking to buy a receiver rail and another an optic recently.

Certainty you could part it out and get most of your money back and keep the stock and trigger pack.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 11:11:45 AM EDT
[#14]
I had a MSAR rifle and loved it. I bought it right before they went belly up and got it cheap: $750 with 10 mags. I eventually traded it towards a motorcycle. But it was reliable and I enjoyed it.

I missed having a bullpup, so I got a Keltec RDB as it was $650 or so. I would suggest that over a MSAR. While it is a Keltec, they warranty it and it does have good reviews. I haven't had a chance to make it to the range to test it out. It's not like the MSAR has a great reputation. If you want a reliable AUG, get a Steyr.  If you want a left friendly bullpup range toy, get the RDB.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top