Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2020 9:44:25 PM EDT
As the title says,  I'm moving about 20 miles  down the road.  Do I need to send in a 5320.20? Or is it just "requested" and I can just wait till I do another form 1 and then update my trust accordingly?
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 10:43:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Your understanding is correct.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 10:48:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Perfect.  Sounds like a solid reason for do a other form 1.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 8:29:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Doesnt it depend on what the NFA items are?  If it's just suppressors and SBR's I think you are ok not to notify, but if it's a machine gun I thought you had to do it prior to moving.   Am I incorrect?
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 8:38:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 8:15:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you for the clarification bigwaylon. That's a good thing to know.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 8:42:31 PM EDT
[#6]
In state you are fine...no notification. Crossing state lines is a no no unless u have the approved form
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 7:50:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Page 3 of a form 4 says change of address needs to be done every time now unless licensed under the GCA(I.e. FFL). Maybe I’m not reading it correctly but it looks like this has been updated for any move. https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/form/form-4-application-tax-paid-transfer-and-registration-firearm-atf-form-53204/download
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 11:13:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Page 3 of a form 4 says change of address needs to be done every time now unless licensed under the GCA(I.e. FFL). Maybe I’m not reading it correctly but it looks like this has been updated for any move. https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/form/form-4-application-tax-paid-transfer-and-registration-firearm-atf-form-53204/download
View Quote

Form 20 is for interstate transport... right there in the title of the form, and instruction #1.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/form/application-transport-interstate-or-temporarily-export-certain-national-firearms/download
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 3:46:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 6:55:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Always remember...the form isn’t the law. The NFA Handbook is also not the law. If the statute/regulation itself doesn’t require it, it’s not a requirement.
View Quote

It isn't.  But if you try transfering the item after you move, it gets rejected after you and the buyer/seller wait long enough.  Then you get to submit a 5320.20, wait 6-8+ weeks between Covid delays and mailing, and can then start the process all over again.

Ask me how I know.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 6:56:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Form 20 is for interstate transport... right there in the title of the form, and instruction #1.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/form/application-transport-interstate-or-temporarily-export-certain-national-firearms/download
View Quote

It is.  But they demand it any how for intrastate moves too, despite the form's title.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 10:26:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I have the same question, but what about Pending Transfers Form 4? I'm at 5 months on mine. Should I wait till it's approved then move or ? I want to move soon hopefully but if it affects the stamp then no. Same state, 5 miles down the road.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 11:19:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have the same question, but what about Pending Transfers Form 4? I'm at 5 months on mine. Should I wait till it's approved then move or ? I want to move soon hopefully but if it affects the stamp then no.
View Quote
The Form 4 will come back to your FFL's address. As long as your ID is from the same state at the time of pickup a move doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 12:14:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The Form 4 will come back to your FFL's address. As long as your ID is from the same state at the time of pickup a move doesn't matter.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have the same question, but what about Pending Transfers Form 4? I'm at 5 months on mine. Should I wait till it's approved then move or ? I want to move soon hopefully but if it affects the stamp then no.

If his government issued photo ID does not show his current residence address, it sure as heck will matter. "Same state" isn't what is required on the Form 4473.
Current residence address and an ID that shows the same (or alternate documents in combination).
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 8:31:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If his government issued photo ID does not show his current residence address, it sure as heck will matter. "Same state" isn't what is required on the Form 4473.
Current residence address and an ID that shows the same (or alternate documents in combination).
View Quote

I'm assuming his ID shows his current residence address, the Form 4 will show his old address (in the same state). Obviously the 4473 will match the current ID. That would be a problem with you?
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 1:41:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'm assuming his ID shows his current residence address, the Form 4 will show his old address (in the same state). Obviously the 4473 will match the current ID. That would be a problem with you?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What address the Form 4 shows is irrelevant.
I was addressing your comment about the DL just needing to be from the same state. It isn't that simple.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 3:03:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What address the Form 4 shows is irrelevant.
I was addressing your comment about the DL just needing to be from the same state. It isn't that simple.
View Quote
I was only referring to the DL in relation to the Form 4. We are saying the same thing.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 3:23:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I was only referring to the DL in relation to the Form 4. We are saying the same thing.
View Quote

Went to LGS, they said Form 4 doesn't get touched. When it's approved they will have me fill out my 4473 in my new address and take it home. Then do the form to send to ATF for address change which half of the employee's said don't worry about it/do it anyways.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 2:01:06 AM EDT
[#19]
* kind of a part 2 question.

I got my trust about 10 years ago and at the time just put my father as the benefactor.   Im now married, how do I change that to my wife?  Obviously she can own/buy/pass a back ground check.  Do I just change that part of the trust / get a new notary stamp for it?
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 9:56:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
* kind of a part 2 question.

I got my trust about 10 years ago and at the time just put my father as the benefactor.   Im now married, how do I change that to my wife?  Obviously she can own/buy/pass a back ground check.  Do I just change that part of the trust / get a new notary stamp for it?
View Quote

The way a trust is written and state laws vary. I'd recommend consulting with wherever you got the original trust document for guidance. If not possible you might need to consult a lawyer to have them review and provide guidance.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 5:06:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

A few years ago, I made an in-town (i.e. within the same city and state) move while a Form 1 was pending. NFA Branch sent the Form 1  back to me for updating before approving it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 5:40:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

A few years ago, I made an in-town (i.e. within the same city and state) move while a Form 1 was pending. NFA Branch sent the Form 1  back to me for updating before approving it.
View Quote

How did they know?
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 7:58:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

For in-state, there’s no difference.

The permission to cross state lines is what’s required for SBR/SBS/MG/DD.
View Quote

Not to mince words with someone who knows way more about this than me, but you aren't asking permission, only notifying them of your intentions, correct? Does ATF ever deny these?
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 8:34:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Not to mince words with someone who knows way more about this than me, but you aren't asking permission, only notifying them of your intentions, correct? Does ATF ever deny these?
View Quote
Yes, it is (literally the form is titled "application") and yes they do, if completed improperly or it would be breaking a law to do so.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 10:42:40 AM EDT
[#25]
There is no requirement to notify them of an in state move.  They will not reject a new form 1 because your address is different, but within the same state, as a previous form 1/4.  Your paperwork will not be delayed because you moved in state.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top