Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2021 10:18:11 AM EDT
I have a couple of AR barrels that i want to cut down by 1/2 inch (for reasons).  The threads are the standard 5/8 inch long with a slight relief cut at the base of the threads.  If I have the barrel cut down by 1/2 inch, the new threads will essentially have a relief cut at the base and at the muzzle end.  The crush washer will take up the base relief cut, so that's not an issue, but will the the remaining ~0.375-0.400 inches of threads be enough for a flash hider?  I am attaching a rough sketch of what the resultant threads will look like - new cut on top and original on bottom:

Thanks!!

Link Posted: 4/6/2021 5:56:15 PM EDT
[#1]
delete
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 9:56:51 AM EDT
[#2]
You don't need that large of a start relief. You don't really need it at all. Just do a full circumferential chamfer, on the start. Also, you can eliminate the crush washer and gain thread length. Just Rocksett the muzzle device and use a precision shim if timing is necessary.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 12:30:11 PM EDT
[#3]
The threads are already cut with a relief cut at the shoulder (~0.125") with a 0.625" tenon length.  So there is approx. 0.5" of actual threads.  If I cut 0.5" from the overall length, the shoulder relleif cut would then become the relief cut at the muzzle end.  Whether there is a relief cut at the shoulder now is moot, as the crush washer will take up about 0.125".  So I am left with essentially 0.375" of treads holding the flash hider.  Is 0.375" of threads sufficient?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 4/12/2021 11:21:06 AM EDT
[#4]
8 to 9 threads of engagement on properly cut threads is strong enough for a flash hider.

“Reasons”?  Going for that “seamless” suppressor mount look at the handguard end I bet.  The squareness of the shoulder(indicating off the bore) and re-crowning of the muzzle are the critical machining steps. Fixturing the workpiece in the lathe is where the payoff is, the cuts are trivial.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 12:52:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:Going for that “seamless” suppressor mount look at the handguard end I bet.
View Quote

I hope not w/ a crush washer.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 10:41:15 PM EDT
[#6]
In the world of engineering 3 full threads is the rule of thumb for 80% hold strength. The benefit of additional threads is diminished for each additional thread. However, the extra threads on a muzzle device provide additional bearing surface which is helpful when things will be threaded and unthreaded more often.

If you're putting this muzzle device on and leaving it I wouldn't give it a second thought, it's no problem.

If it will be removed just be more cautious.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top