Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2018 10:52:21 AM EDT
what dies are better for 300 bo lee or hornady . i wont be converting brass at first maybe later and i have heard of problems with the lee dies when converting the brass

i reload 223,308,and 357sig using lee dies with no problems
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 10:59:32 AM EDT
[#1]
No experience with the Lee dies in this caliber, although I have several of theirs in other calibers. But I've been using Hornady .300 Whisper dies since long before Rem/AAC rebranded the cartridge as the 300BLK.

The sizing die works well to reform .223/5.56 brass in a single step. And I prefer the Hornady seating die, for the sliding sleeve that positively aligns the bullet.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 11:00:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Advise (verb) or advice (noun)?
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 3:08:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm usually a value shopper. I have several sets of Lee dies and various other Lee products so this is definitely not a anti Lee post. However considering the price of each I think the Hornady are a better value. The only thing I don't like about the Hornady dies is that the seat die only threads in about 1 1/2 turns in my press before the crimp feature contacts the case mouth.

But this hasn't seemed to cause any issues. It seems this is also normal for them because it's sort of a universal seat die.

Motor
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 7:12:50 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks for the replies I think I will be getting the hornady dies
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:26:35 PM EDT
[#5]
One point of clarification: The Hornady "custom grade" dies (whatever they have always called their standard dies) are the good ones.  Their budget series, the "American Select" dies, I would not bother with.  I would get Lee, RCBS, or just about any other over those.

Not that I think they offer 300BLK in their budget series anyway.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:59:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top