Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/7/2018 10:37:08 PM EDT
So been awhile since I've taken on a new loading project for old "junk" I've had an AG42 for awhile now and haven't shot it much.

So I've finally decided to sit down and start the process.

To start I'll be working with nosler rdf 130s since they don't shoot in my x47L at all pretty much worst bullet I've  ever used. So figure a 3moa bullet will run well in a 3 moa gun. I'll also be trying 123 nosler CC.

Powders will be varget, h4895, and possibly some reloader and vv powders if I can get some locally.

Going to start with varget and 130rdfs.
I'll update with some pictures and explain my process not much different from most people's here but being an AG42 it's a little neater.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 12:29:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 7:53:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Highly relevant to my interests (have a Ljungman).

OP: there is an adjustable gas plug on the market (will look for the link).

Also, the Ljungman can be damaged by some published book loads - just as a Garand will suffer a bent op rod by otherwise-safe 30-06 loads.  Getting the "port pressure" right is apparently crucial.  As there is no op rod in the Ljungman, over pressure failures result in torn off rims, broken parts or even catastrophic failures.

Will look around for data I found a while back on the net (not much out there).
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 8:44:34 AM EDT
[#3]
More info, including a page from the original Swedish military manual advising a light coat of light oil on the case to help extraction:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/parallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums/help-my-new-ljungman-won-t-cycle-t41379.html

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/parallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums/help-my-new-ljungman-won-t-cycle-t41379.html
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 9:10:09 AM EDT
[#4]
https://www.milsurps.com/google.php?cx=partner-pub-1050922243322262%3A3817954600&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=UTF-8&q=ag-42&sa.x=10&sa.y=7
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 9:11:43 AM EDT
[#5]
And here is a completely different opinion on whether to oil the cases:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/t-282248.html
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 4:09:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank u, I am aware of the gas adj that's available and also of the oiling cases which will not be done

Also you are correct in the need to be very specific with loadwork due to catastrophic damage being possible.

I'll try to document everything thing I do to help other guys out  when it's their turn to reload for one.

I do know that 4895,varget,reloader 19 are the most popular with rl19 being just about perfect in every way.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 11:23:47 PM EDT
[#7]
May be useful to pay attention to case head and rim dia of brass.  The older European military rifles used brass with larger dia case heads than most American brass.  Have had one of these rifles sitting unfired for almost 24 years, still with packing grease.   Am grateful for any shared info, have forgotten most of the older reloading threads on em.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 11:19:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
May be useful to pay attention to case head and rim dia of brass.  The older European military rifles used brass with larger dia case heads than most American brass.  Have had one of these rifles sitting unfired for almost 24 years, still with packing grease.   Am grateful for any shared info, have forgotten most of the older reloading threads on em.
View Quote
Good point.

U.S. brass manufacturers - in the past - would "cheat" on 6.5x55mm brass by just using standard 30 - caliber base stock, and forming it into 6.5.

It was close enough to "work," but the accuracy was terrible compared to correctly manufactured cases.

Not sure about current cases from Remington, Winchester, Speer or Federal.  Hope they've learned and corrected their past behavior.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 7:51:10 PM EDT
[#9]
If memory holds, Privi brass was moderately priced and close to Lapua/Norma case head dimensions.  Used Win to reload 6.5x55 for Winchester and CZ, and the case head expansion was noticeable, but only occurred once as the reloading didn't size them down too far.  On the calibers not reloaded for often, my experience is definitely dated.

Am still trying to find the older reloading threads on AG-42, but time consuming, and a lot of websites been through multiple iterations..
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:15:47 PM EDT
[#10]
First update for the process I do, there are many ways to do the same thing.

So the powder and bullets I'll be using

How I'll start is determining where a particular bullet contacts the lands giving me the longest I can seat a particular bullet.

How I determine this... I will set a bullet into the chamber and push it forward and hold it there. Then I'll put a blunt tipped jag on a cleaning rod down the muzzle.

I then mark the rod at the muzzle, then I remove the bullet and close the action. I will again slide the rod down the muzzle and mark the rod again.

Now there are 2 marks on the rod measure the distance between the top line then the opposite side of the other line.  That is now the max overall length you can fit into your chamber with that particular bullet.

And here is the length I've got after 5 measurements then I use the average.

You must redo this with every different bullet u plan to use.

Also if dealing with a magazine fed weapon you need to ensure the max length of those also.

You can see the length on the caliper to the left.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:16:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Save
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:16:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Save
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 8:13:26 AM EDT
[#13]
40.0 RL15 works for me with 140 HDY match.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 11:27:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Issue bullets are 140grain.
Stick to that weight if at all possible.

Avoid double based Vihtavuori powder, too hot for old surplus guns, especially so with semi autos.

Lots of data in the German authored book on Swedish Mauser's.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 8:56:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I have never had luck with 4895 in 6.5x55 in any rifle.

I have never loaded for the Ag42 for this reason.

Tag.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 11:12:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Suggest you browse the Swedish Rifles Forum on Gunboards and Parallax's Swedish Rifle Forum.  There used to be some really good information from a guy who went by Jim in Oregon.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 11:48:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Been slow to get to range, I have some ammo made up for testing.  Lots of info from gunboards and parallax has been gone through before starting this project.

My start notes

I know dryflash said he wasn't familiar with the rifle so here's a cool thing about it during the update to a "b" model the added a new rear sight so u can use the new spitzer style bullets or the old round nose bullets.

Guts of the sight

And here you can see how it's pinned together and the round nose window.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 12:52:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Total newb here on this platform, but I picked up a sweet deal on a really minty Ljungman a few years ago. I've read about modern ammo not being suitable for these rifles. I can't reload at this time, so is there any commercial ammo that is usable and safe for these rifles?

My Ljungman came with some extremely old ammunition and I've shot several rounds of without any signs of overpressure, and no case head issues that I've spotted, etc.. Just dented brass from the way this rifle abuses it during ejection..

Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 1:13:36 AM EDT
[#19]
I think the privi stuff may be gtg. Hop over to gunboards.com lots of info on commercial ammo in the AG42.

Problem with these rifles is u won't see a problem with ammo till your holding splinters and smoke.

I'll run through my saved files for safe ammo tested.

Edit to add...
ammo discussion
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 1:17:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 1:26:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I think the privi stuff may be gtg. Hop over to gunboards.com lots of info on commercial ammo in the AG42.

Problem with these rifles is u won't see a problem with ammo till your holding splinters and smoke.

Edit to add...
ammo discussion
View Quote
I'd found that page a long time ago but there didn't seem to be any real solid suggestions there.. Just reloader talk.

I really should put the Ljungman on Gunbroker and put the fund towards the 50bmg I want. I'd triple or quadruple my initial investment from looking at recent prices.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 5:06:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'd found that page a long time ago but there didn't seem to be any real solid suggestions there.. Just reloader talk.

I really should put the Ljungman on Gunbroker and put the fund towards the 50bmg I want. I'd triple or quadruple my initial investment from looking at recent prices.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit to add...
ammo discussion

If the Prvi ammo is loaded with a medium speed powder like Reloder-15, IMR-4895, or IMR-4064 then it would be fine.  If it is loaded with a slow powder like Reloder-22 or IMR-4350 then it is not good for the Ljungman.  Pull down the ammo and if the powder charge is around 37 grains then it is medium speed rifle powder.  If the charge is around 47 grains then the powder is too slow.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 6:45:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

If the Prvi ammo is loaded with a medium speed powder like Reloder-15, IMR-4895, or IMR-4064 then it would be fine.  If it is loaded with a slow powder like Reloder-22 or IMR-4350 then it is not good for the Ljungman.  Pull down the ammo and if the powder charge is around 37 grains then it is medium speed rifle powder.  If the charge is around 47 grains then the powder is too slow.
View Quote
Again, I'm not set up for reloading, nor will I be able to in the near future. Which I suppose is why I should just list it on GB and be done with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top