Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2022 5:23:35 PM EDT
So I sent off the Frommer Stop to get refinished but this does not address the grips. The grips are not horrible but they are original and i have NO CLUE where to send them or how to have it addressed.

So how does one have 100 year old plastic addressed?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 8:29:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Toothbrush and Meguiars Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer?
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:54:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So I sent off the Frommer Stop to get refinished but this does not address the grips. The grips are not horrible but they are original and i have NO CLUE where to send them or how to have it addressed.

So how does one have 100 year old plastic addressed?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/127073/PXL_20220304_212426790_jpg-2391503_jpg-2392102.JPG
View Quote

Are the grips plastic or hard rubber(gutta percha) ?
If they are hard rubber, I've used ArmorAll to rejuvenate the grips on my Colt New Pocket .32 revolver made in 1905.
Gary
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 3:11:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Hard plastic
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 5:55:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 6:00:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They are probably Bakelite and not "plastic" per-se.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hard plastic

They are probably Bakelite and not "plastic" per-se.

I'm not sure I know the difference besides looks. I know my p38 grips are bakelite and look like every other bakelite thing I've seen.

I've not seen black bakelite but I could totally misunderstand bakelite

I'm not saying it's not. Assume I don't know shit. But if it is bakelite how about a rehabilitation tip

To me this is bakelite but I honestly don't know besides the look.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 6:30:36 PM EDT
[#6]
They are 100% not plastic, and probably not bakelite either...... They are prone to damage by worms....so that should say something about the organic nature of them

I don't have pics, but I had a rough set of grips for a Langenhanen (F.L. Selbstater) auto, that I cleaned up with a toothbrush, sharpened up the checkering and logo with a dental pick, then soaked in heated linseed oil for a few hours and they came out looking really nice.... Used the same treatment on the grips on a 1920 Star 9mm

Don't hold me responsible if you do this to yours and they melt
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 7:32:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
They are 100% not plastic, and probably not bakelite either...... They are prone to damage by worms....so that should say something about the organic nature of them

I don't have pics, but I had a rough set of grips for a Langenhanen (F.L. Selbstater) auto, that I cleaned up with a toothbrush, sharpened up the checkering and logo with a dental pick, then soaked in heated linseed oil for a few hours and they came out looking really nice.... Used the same treatment on the grips on a 1920 Star 9mm

Don't hold me responsible if you do this to yours and they melt
View Quote

I'm totally blaming you
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 4:42:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Well?  What did you do?
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 6:55:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Most grips of the era were either Gutta Percha (rubber composite) or made of horn.

Horn grips usually have some grain to them and can get a worm hole effect when old.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 12:26:52 PM EDT
[#10]
You might consider making a latex mold of the grips and then casting them in plastic yourself.

That is how so many repro grips are done and look and fit quit well, too.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 9:10:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I usually buy repros for fragile originals from vintage gun grips. Quality is acceptable on my Beretta 948 and Sauer 38.
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 5:05:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Well?  What did you do?
View Quote

Sorry.. The gun is coming home tomorrow and i ordered these just in case.

https://gungrip.com/frommer-stop-pistol-grips-3-2.aspx
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 8:49:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Looking forward to pics when it is all done!
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 2:55:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Looking forward to pics when it is all done!
View Quote

@dtrosch

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/The-Frommer-stop-is-coming-home/14-537889/
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 10:24:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Have bought a few ‘vintage’ grip and butt plates grom gun grip.com, and have been happy so far with their detail. Would be interested  to know how the Frommer reproductions compare to the originals.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 8:33:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Have bought a few ‘vintage’ grip and butt plates grom gun grip.com, and have been happy so far with their detail. Would be interested  to know how the Frommer reproductions compare to the originals.
View Quote

It's good. But under flash seems purple.

I kept the originals. I  happy with what I paid

Natural light

Attachment Attached File

Flash

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 8:41:06 PM EDT
[#17]
chances are they are hard rubber, also called vulcanite. This is what pipe stems have been made out of since the 1920s. I would reach out to a reputable pipe restorer and run it by him. Rubber oxidizes in contact with air and light, and these guys restore rubber pipe stems every day and know what they're doing. They'll do the job without removing material that doesn't need to be removed.

after restoration, wipe down with an oily rag to slow down oxidation between uses
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top