Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2018 1:37:12 PM EDT
I have been having some issues lately with running my sandman s on my ar and getting possible bolt bounce malfunctions and some overgassing and decided I need to adjust the gas somehow, I have seen some threads on this but most are old. Current options are the new bootleg full auto adjustable bcg, the superlative arms bleed off adjustable gas block, innovative arms w.a.r. upper receiver, adjustable gas keys, superlative arms piston kit, and a heavier buffer. What would you guys that have experience with these recommend? I mainly want to limit gas to the face and make sure my rifle runs reliable suppressed since with certain ammo I get failures for the trigger to reset (bolt bounce?). Some have claimed that their adjustable bcg made the gun louder at the ear, I would like an options that does not add noise and is easy to adjust, the war upper is supposed to make a rifle quieter. What concerns me with the gas blocks is that there are too many settings to mess around with and remember to switch on the fly, the micro moa govnah seems like the solution but unfortunately they are no longer made. Would a gas piston kit have any significant advantage as far as keeping the gun clean, I understand some blowback will come from the chamber area and not the gas tube.

So basically I want a method of easily going from unsuppressed to suppressed to reduce gas in the face and make my rifle run properly while keeping noise down
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 1:48:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I’m a lefty and shoot 90% suppressed. I went the gas block route. First went with the SLR Sentry 7. It worked but I kept breaking the titanium leaf spring. Then went with the Govnah gas block. Works great but they are out of business. I break something, I’m screwed.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 2:05:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I only shoot suppressed and I only use SLR sentry adjustable gas blocks.  What you do is shoot the rifle with your intended load and find the lowest setting it works at.  Then all you have to do is put on your suppressor and it will work fine because of the added back-pressure.  Never need to dick with it again.  I haven't had a problem in many thousands of rounds using this method.

As for gas blowback, it's going to happen no matter what you do.  It's just how it works.  For the noise, you can add things like a captive buffer system, but it really isn't noticeable with or without it.  5.56 and most other calibers are supersonic and loud even with a can, so you should be wearing hearing protection regardless.

Anyways, I would personally suggest you start with the gas block (whether it be SLR, Superlative etc...).  If that doesn't suit your needs, then start experimenting with buffer systems, adjustable BCGs etc...

PIC for shizz n' gigs

Link Posted: 5/19/2018 2:43:38 PM EDT
[#3]
i go the gas block route, SLR being my go to, OP shoot me a pm and i'll get you the hook up for SLR gas blocks for cheap
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 2:52:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 3:02:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 3:13:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
PM me too please.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
i go the gas block route, SLR being my go to, OP shoot me a pm and i'll get you the hook up for SLR gas blocks for cheap
PM me too please.
PM'd
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 3:42:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I only shoot suppressed and I only use SLR sentry adjustable gas blocks.  What you do is shoot the rifle with your intended load and find the lowest setting it works at.  Then all you have to do is put on your suppressor and it will work fine because of the added back-pressure.  Never need to dick with it again.  I haven't had a problem in many thousands of rounds using this method.

As for gas blowback, it's going to happen no matter what you do.  It's just how it works.  For the noise, you can add things like a captive buffer system, but it really isn't noticeable with or without it.  5.56 and most other calibers are supersonic and loud even with a can, so you should be wearing hearing protection regardless.

Anyways, I would personally suggest you start with the gas block (whether it be SLR, Superlative etc...).  If that doesn't suit your needs, then start experimenting with buffer systems, adjustable BCGs etc...

PIC for shizz n' gigs

http://i66.tinypic.com/qrlxqx.jpg
View Quote
The only reason I mentioned noise was some users of the gem tech bcg reported that their gun is a bit louder at the ear with it but less gas in the face so it was worth it, I like how my can sounds right now and I wouldn't want to add additional noise, i'm wondering if a gas block would work better since there is nothing venting out of the carrier. I want the rifle to work with a variety of ammo, would there still be a benefit with your method if I set it to work with low powered ammo (tula, pmc) unsuppressed and use something else?
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 3:45:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I only shoot my two stamp mini Recce suppressed so I went with a gas block. I guess I shouldn't be surprised but I was at how much it reduces recoil, the can was overgassing the crap out out my poor upper and I was able to tune it using a standard carbine buffer instead of the H2 I was using before. FWIW I tuned it so it only cycles with the can on.

I went with a Wojtek Weaponry adjustable block. They are made in the USA and are 35.00 shipped. At first I was leary about using such an inexpensive piece but the mfg is on Reddit and has fantastic feedback and I've had zero issues with mine with a couple hundred rounds downrange.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 3:49:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I use an adjustable gas block on some uppers, and adjustable carriers on others. They both work well.

The SLR Sentry is excellent, but people have reported issues of the leaf spring breaking. Mine has been alright but I haven't really used and abused it. I've got an upper with a Superlative Arms gas block on it, but I haven't been able to shoot it yet.

I have a Bootleg adjustable carrier and it's great too. Very easy to adjust, don't have to take it out of the upper, and it works as advertised.
View Quote
Do you prefer the gas block or the bootleg bcg and have you noticed a difference in performance? I will be shooting suppressed most of the time but still want the rifle to work with the can and without and a variety of ammunition in a possible serious use. I like that the bootleg bcg has 4 settings so you have some options, the gas block seems like it would have too many settings to go back and forth from unsuppressed to suppressed easily making you just keep it on a setting that will only work suppressed. Maybe I'm missing something here but can it be adjusted to work reliably both suppressed and unsuppressed and limit gas in the face when suppressed?
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 5:23:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 10:03:30 PM EDT
[#11]
The superior option is the SLR Rifleworks or Superlative Arms gas blocks.  More adjustments, easier adjustments, vents gas further from shooter, likely a bit quieter.

That said the BCG option is a lot better than nothing at all, especially if you have to run a non-adjustable block for some reason (like you have to use an A2 or have a Falkor Dracos barrel).  The 2a Armament adjustable carrier is pretty cool but pricey.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 12:01:23 AM EDT
[#12]
I have no doubt the the adjustable gas blocks will give more effective results controlling gas exactly the way you want, but the carriers work well enough that I'm not going to bother with a gas block until they're a lot more reliable/stout than they are now.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 12:15:15 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm cross eye dominant so I shoot rifles lefty and I started my 10.5" SBR with an SLR gas block and then changed it to a Superlative Arms Piston kit.  Changing to piston and having the bleed off instead of restriction adjustable gas block made a HUGE difference in gas to the face and sound at the ear.  I put the SLR gas block on my new 300blk build with 16" barrel and there's a lot of gas to the face.  SupArms doesn't have a 300 specific gas block/piston kit yet and the customer service guy that emailed me back said to wait till they do.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:08:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Um, you can't just throw this statement out there.

DETAILS MAN!!
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 11:53:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

DETAILS MAN!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

DETAILS MAN!!
PM me, it's a guy on the EE - not me - i don't want to get in trouble for pimping EE sales, just PM me
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 11:57:37 AM EDT
[#16]
All my suppressed AR’s have the same setup basically.

Slr adj
Raptor sd
Spikes T2 or a5h2 buffers

I’m pleased with the setups.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 1:53:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm cross eye dominant so I shoot rifles lefty and I started my 10.5" SBR with an SLR gas block and then changed it to a Superlative Arms Piston kit.  Changing to piston and having the bleed off instead of restriction adjustable gas block made a HUGE difference in gas to the face and sound at the ear.  I put the SLR gas block on my new 300blk build with 16" barrel and there's a lot of gas to the face.  SupArms doesn't have a 300 specific gas block/piston kit yet and the customer service guy that emailed me back said to wait till they do.
View Quote
The piston kit made for better sound at the ear? I thought short stroke piston kit would make a rifle louder due to piston pop and the rod slamming the bcg, have you noticed a difference in recoil impulse with the superlative arms piston kit compared to di?
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 1:58:50 PM EDT
[#18]
So I just discovered that seekins precision is now making an adjustable gas block that has a tab you can flip without tools between suppressed and unsuppressed after your initial adjustment, there is still not much info out on how well it works and how it will fit under a hand guard but it looks interesting, what do you guys think?
http://www.seekinsprecision.com/product/upper-accessories/select-adjustable-gas-block-876.html
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:55:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The piston kit made for better sound at the ear? I thought short stroke piston kit would make a rifle louder due to piston pop and the rod slamming the bcg, have you noticed a difference in recoil impulse with the superlative arms piston kit compared to di?
View Quote
I've never been able to shoot without ear pro so I might not be able to get the whole story but the overall shooting experence is much more pleasant than before.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top