Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2018 8:07:50 PM EDT
I have a 6.5" TI tube DM, TI end caps DM & stainless baffles ZM.....I know it's not full auto rated.....but my buddy has  RDIAS
and I have been shooting my can with it....never doing mag dumps....just 3 rd burst....maybe 5....do you think there is a risk shooting
a few rds at a time like this and letting cool down in between mags?
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 11:02:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Titanium starts to lose strength around 800 degrees F. Depending on barrel length the can will heat up per shot around 10 degrees +\- a couple degrees. I'd think two full 30 round mag dumps in succession on a warm day could get  close to the limit.  Bursts introduce a duty cycle that slows temperature rise.  So 1 mag with multiple short intermittent bursts and then cool down should be fine.  If you can buy or borrow an infrared thermometer that reads up to 800 degrees you can measure the can exterior.  I think Thunderbeast has guidelines for their full titanium suppressors on their website.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 1:29:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't worry about the physical strength, but the more less long term failure.

Titanium over 800*f without some form of shielding (oxygen depleted environment) will oxidize very rapidly.

Check out some titanium welding videos.

I'd worry about stress-corrosion cracking from the inside out in the blast area.

Maybe a 17-4PH blast baffle and sleeve or such as a sacrificial bit in the blast area? Something stainless.

ETA: to clarify, I'm referring to high temp use. Titanium below 800 is going to do well. I'd also be concerned with crevice corrosion, which should exhaserbate the stress-crossion problem. Possible to have a single piece blast baffle and sacrificial sleeve on the blast chamber?

OTOH if your can isn't welded shut, you can always easily clean and inspect it, as well as replacing the blast baffle as needed.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 9:09:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wouldn't worry about the physical strength, but the more less long term failure.

Titanium over 800*f without some form of shielding (oxygen depleted environment) will oxidize very rapidly.

Check out some titanium welding videos.

I'd worry about stress-corrosion cracking from the inside out in the blast area.

Maybe a 17-4PH blast baffle and sleeve or such as a sacrificial bit in the blast area? Something stainless.

ETA: to clarify, I'm referring to high temp use. Titanium below 800 is going to do well. I'd also be concerned with crevice corrosion, which should exhaserbate the stress-crossion problem. Possible to have a single piece blast baffle and sacrificial sleeve on the blast chamber?

OTOH if your can isn't welded shut, you can always easily clean and inspect it, as well as replacing the blast baffle as needed.
View Quote
I recommend 3 17-4 baffles and a .050 thick bb spacer along with a ga taper mount brake on host's for full auto. 2 mag dumps max then allow to cool.

Form 1 makers are not permitted to replace silencer parts which must be done by am FFL 07/02.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 11:45:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I recommend 3 17-4 baffles and a .050 thick bb spacer along with a ga taper mount brake on host's for full auto. 2 mag dumps max then allow to cool.

Form 1 makers are not permitted to replace silencer parts which must be done by am FFL 07/02.
View Quote
Excuse me on the second part. Cough cough cough.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top