Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2018 12:25:35 PM EDT
Have not shot it yet, hope to hit the range this week. Everything is bone dry and extremely clean, needs grease. I am very happy with it so far. I don't know what kind of action it saw or where it has been the last 73 years (production date Jan '45 according to usriflecal30m1.com) but the stock has plenty of dings and scratches. Barrel is dated '63 so I think it may have been arsenal rebuilt at some point or replaced at the CMP.

Any comments or info is greatly appreciated. I have plenty of pics if you want to see anything specific. Mail order time was just under a month from when they received my order packet to when it arrived at my FFL

Link Posted: 4/2/2018 1:32:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Congrats!

I thought I'd gotten a field grade too (August 1942 mfg date, 1953 barrel) but it looks better than that. Rust, pitting on the front and that stock is really beat up.

But hey, it shoots!
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 1:57:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I seem to remember reading that the field grades in the recent past are in pretty good condition.  The last one I got, about 4 years ago, is sitting beside me right now. Mines is an H&R. Been thinking of selling it but every time I pick it up it says 'Keep mee!'.
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 7:18:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Really nice looking rifle with a nice cartouche !!  You did well !!
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 7:39:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Good job on the field grade!
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 8:08:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice score, nothing quite like shooting the M1 Garand rifle. Enjoy that stick !!
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 10:54:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 11:36:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One of the nicer FG's I've seen recently. Most have been turkish returns and they have been hammered with hackberry stocks.
View Quote
Thanks
I was very happy when I opened the box and saw the GI wood. All of the internals look very solid and are clean as could be. I wish the rifle could talk because I would love the know how the stock got beat up.

My next purchase will be at one of the CMP stores, maybe by then the 1911's will be ready to roll
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 11:51:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Nice M1, .... but the recent 'Tooksberry ' stocks the CMP is using on Rackers and FGs look like shit. All hacky and dinged up.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 12:04:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Ive never followed through with a CMP purchase. I would be happy with that M1. We should get a group together for the north store when the 45s hit.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 8:27:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 9:27:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I agree with previous posts, i.e., very nice rifle.  Two options on the hand guard - replace it our try to steam out dents.  I would try the latter.  ironically, dents appear to be recently incurred.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 9:28:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Upon further examination of photos, dents are probably on comb of stock.  Sorry about that.  Steam them out.  Nice stock by the way.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 10:02:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Upon further examination of photos, dents are probably on comb of stock.  Sorry about that.  Steam them out.  Nice stock by the way.
View Quote
Here is a better look at the location of those dents

Link Posted: 4/6/2018 6:26:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thanks
I was very happy when I opened the box and saw the GI wood. All of the internals look very solid and are clean as could be. I wish the rifle could talk because I would love the know how the stock got beat up.

My next purchase will be at one of the CMP stores, maybe by then the 1911's will be ready to roll
View Quote
Sadly, the stocks get most of their "patina" from being tossed into piles by folks who aren't terribly awed by all those "pieces of history".
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 10:30:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Mine came around the same time:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 1:03:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Are they dents or gouges (compressed material or material cut out)?  There are broken/cut fibers, for sure.  If they are gouges they are unlikely to recover much with steaming.

Even if they are "just" dents, the broken fibers meant they will never come out completely with steaming. However, you lose nothing for trying and they will recover a lot.

Link Posted: 4/7/2018 3:51:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Congratulations.....I picked up some ammo for mine today
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 4:25:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Are they dents or gouges (compressed material or material cut out)?  There are broken/cut fibers, for sure.  If they are gouges they are unlikely to recover much with steaming.

Even if they are "just" dents, the broken fibers meant they will never come out completely with steaming. However, you lose nothing for trying and they will recover a lot.

https://image.ibb.co/i7KQPn/0330181608.jpg
View Quote
I would call it a gouge or chunk missing
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 7:09:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://image.ibb.co/i7KQPn/0330181608.jpg
Good gawwd,  ...  that stock looks like my dog chewed on it for a month.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 9:48:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 10:07:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
We call that "character"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good gawwd,  ...  that stock looks like my dog chewed on it for a month.
We call that "character"
Well, you never see 'character ' like that on an AR's stock. .

Link Posted: 4/8/2018 12:47:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
I seen character on Guatemalan ARs lol
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 9:43:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL ...
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 10:02:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Probably an awesome story from those dents, beautiful rifle can't wait to pick one up!
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 5:27:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Me....before that range trip.....

I'd take it apart.  Inspect the parts and springs (replace as needed), clean it, grease and oil it.  And, get the correct ammo and GI clips for it.

There are 4 parts to this video......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq4wpB9MZ-4

Brush up on how to adjust your sights too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4fZWBELkU0

Aloha, Mark

PS.....don't forget eyes, ears, tools for sight adjustment and some targets.  I like  the MR-31c targets for work all the way up to 100 yds.

http://www.6mmbr.com/targets.html
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 10:11:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Me....before that range trip.....

I'd take it apart.  Inspect the parts and springs (replace as needed), clean it, grease and oil it.  And, get the correct ammo and GI clips for it.

There are 4 parts to this video......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq4wpB9MZ-4

Brush up on how to adjust your sights too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4fZWBELkU0

Aloha, Mark

PS.....don't forget eyes, ears, tools for sight adjustment and some targets.  I like  the MR-31c targets for work all the way up to 100 yds.

http://www.6mmbr.com/targets.html
View Quote
Already took it apart, everything was bone dry but in excellent condition. oiled and greased, ready to go. Thanks for the info!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top