Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2018 1:07:38 AM EDT
So can I shoot "rifled" slug down a smooth barrel?  Any possibility of damage to bore?  Thank.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 1:12:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 1:19:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes no damage
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 1:26:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, the "rifling" on the slugs is made to swage or "smush" down to allow for bore constriction. The old tales about not shooting slugs from a full choke and ruining a choke may have held true for old style solid slugs but you are good to go with anything you will buy today.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 1:45:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Yup.  It's exactly what they were made for.  'Cylinder bore' works best.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 5:18:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yup.  It's exactly what they were made for. 'Cylinder bore' works best.
View Quote
That depends.  Some shotguns handle slug accuracy better with different choke constrictions.  Improved Cylinder will sometimes throw tighter groups.  Spending some time comparing accuracy between loads and chokes is worthwhile.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 6:04:27 PM EDT
[#6]
The exception would be sabot shotgun slugs. These are a bullet nested in a plastic sabot that will fall away when it exits the barrel. They are designed for rifled barrels. They are safe to shoot through a smooth bore but will not work as designed.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 6:50:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yes, the "rifling" on the slugs is made to swage or "smush" down to allow for bore constriction. The old tales about not shooting slugs from a full choke and ruining a choke may have held true for old style solid slugs but you are good to go with anything you will buy today.
View Quote
I've seen 2 modern shotguns ruin their muzzles after shooting soft rifled slugs through a full choke.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 8:57:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I've seen 2 modern shotguns ruin their muzzles after shooting soft rifled slugs through a full choke.
View Quote
What were they? What kind of damage?  I've done it through several that I own. Stevens 94, NEF single shot, and an 870 with screw in tubes.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 9:08:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

What were they? What kind of damage?  I've done it through several that I own. Stevens 94, NEF single shot, and an 870 with screw in tubes.
View Quote
Not speaking for 03rn, but I have seen it with a Remington 870 Wingmaster (fixed full choke), a Mossburg 500 (full choke tube) and a Remington 870 Express (full choke tube).  All three were bulged where the choke constriction began.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 9:56:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Well I guess I've been lucky.
OP shoot slugs in a full choke at your own risk.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:34:02 PM EDT
[#11]
One was a Turkish sxs the other was a 870.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top