Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2019 6:01:11 PM EDT
family is doing an RV trip from Texas to PA and back again, spending nights in Arkansas, Tennessee, West Virginia, and PA. Not doing anything in MD or NY/NJ/Philly but I'm almost certain the double sided auto I carry legally in Texas would be a no-no in some of those places.

Now that we all hate benchmade, what's a decent enough knife that would be legal in those places? I'm thinking manual or assisted opening (unless those are frowned upon). Prefer something with a glass breaker as we'll be spending a bunch of time on the road

I have a Texas CHL and will be legally carrying the whole time (except MD) but just looking for a light/small/under $50 pocket knife for all of those tasks.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 6:07:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 10:18:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Spyderco Endura 4 Stainless, half serrated
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 9:52:04 AM EDT
[#3]
If I was stuck to only spending around $50, I'd go with this

https://www.coldsteel.com/products/knives/budget-corner/working-man-od-green.html
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 10:33:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Used Spyderco Delica any flavor.  It’s the Glock 17 of the knife world

Kershaw/Emerson CQC-6 or 7

Cold steel tuff lite

Cheap U.S. General center punch in the console
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 1:22:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Anything goes as far as knives in TN are concerned...
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 10:57:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I own both an Endura 4 and a Delica 4 in ZDP-189 and they’re both nice options, but both are probably over $50.00, even in VG-10.

Frankly, IMO, just look for a SAK Huntsman, or Ranger with the nylon belt holster and go that route. You’ll get more practical use out of either and you can get close to $50.00.

Chris
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 6:15:37 AM EDT
[#7]
I love these for cheap bang for the buck D2 steel!
https://www.knifeworks.com/folding-knives/ontario-rat-model-1-folder-3-5-d2-blade-steel-black-handle.html
D2 can be a pain to sharpen when it gets dull, but for these prices you could just order a new one.
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 5:25:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I ended up with a Kershaw Barricade. for like $23 off amazon: https://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/barricade

it's not the highest quality but has been great so far. Has a belt cutter, glass breaker, and opens up well enough. So far the edge seems fine and it carries pretty well. I figure it's good to have those tools handy on a 3,000 mile road trip. I will probably end up making it a car specific knife and mount it to the dashboard after, but we'll see how it goes.

honestly it's making me want to sell off my super high end stuff and carry some cheapies again
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top