Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2020 5:00:37 PM EDT
I am not a painter by any stretch of the imagination. I am interested in doing a few things myself. Probably a receiver set (maybe 2) and a couple slides in the next couple months and maybe a complete 1911 somewhere down the road.

I have a question about sequence. If gas out indicates oil and then it is cleaned again, why the additional step of blasting again? What makes the initial blasting no longer acceptable for surface preparation?

Why isn't boiling water added to the cleaning options? Is there some reason that boiling water will have a detrimental effect on bare metal especially for small parts including handgun slides?

What have you used for a sprayer? Anyone use an airbrush? Which make and model and how was it set up? Needles, etc?

Any advice, points, comments or cautions will be appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 6:20:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure why anyone would media blast twice. You degrease first so it does not contaminate the media. You don't use water because it will flash rust fast. Break clean works best for me and evaporates fast. I myself degrease, media blast then degrease again. You don't want to use an air brush normally but could if wanted. I have an iwata and sata detail gun that work better than anything I could imagine. I have air brushes as well but would never use them for that.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 6:58:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SScot:
Not sure why anyone would media blast twice. You degrease first so it does not contaminate the media. You don't use water because it will flash rust fast. Break clean works best for me and evaporates fast. I myself degrease, media blast then degrease again. You don't want to use an air brush normally but could if wanted. I have an iwata and sata detail gun that work better than anything I could imagine. I have air brushes as well but would never use them for that.
View Quote

So, in your view, a detail gun is the right size tool? Needle size? My question on the boiling water was more thinking of aluminum and stainless. I guess I could see some corrosion or a film developing from water use. Yeh, my barroom logic on it had me degreasing, media blast, gas out and a final step of degrease. I didn't see the purpose of blasting again even If it failed gas out. But, there it was right in the training video.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 7:07:48 PM EDT
[#3]
It is. I used sata from other work and it was perfect then bought the Lph 80 with .8 tip and it's been great. I'm on my second one in about 5 years. The method/setup really changes with color, for example tungsten is course and thick while sniper grey is thin and fine but hardener ratio stays the same. Like any other painting, the prep is the main part.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 7:14:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Been doing refinishing for over a dozen years.  

Iwata LPH-80.  0.8 tip.  Happens to be what NIC Industries uses when they Cerakote (they make the stuff).  We had already been using that gun before we went out to get Certified and were pleasantly surprised to see that's the gun they use.

Degrease for us is with Acetone.  We soak it.  After gas out, you will often see a discoloration of the metal.  It's potentially a form of oxidation or a very slight residue from oils coming to the surface and evaporating, but leaving a little behind in the roughed up surface, so we re-blast everything after gas out.  Prep really IS the most important part of it, and a re-blast typically only takes a couple of minutes and it's a little more insurance.  YMMV.  Have fun!
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 8:10:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WWoodworth:
Been doing refinishing for over a dozen years.  

Iwata LPH-80.  0.8 tip.  Happens to be what NIC Industries uses when they Cerakote (they make the stuff).  We had already been using that gun before we went out to get Certified and were pleasantly surprised to see that's the gun they use.

Degrease for us is with Acetone.  We soak it.  After gas out, you will often see a discoloration of the metal.  It's potentially a form of oxidation or a very slight residue from oils coming to the surface and evaporating, but leaving a little behind in the roughed up surface, so we re-blast everything after gas out.  Prep really IS the most important part of it, and a re-blast typically only takes a couple of minutes and it's a little more insurance.  YMMV.  Have fun!
View Quote

Got it. Now the whole reason makes some sense. The oil, or whatever is present or shows itself during gas out "could" have a deleterious effect on the completed blasting surface prep.

Thanks, that has been bugging me for days trying to see the rhyme or reason of it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top