Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2019 7:16:59 AM EDT
I'll start.

So what's your recommendation for a budget bolt action centerfire? Not a sub-moa weapon, just something suitable for hunting that you wouldn't cry over if lost or left in a truck.

Many years ago 'surplus' would be the first answer but with even Mosins fetching more than most entry level bolt actions I'm thinking of these three:

Savage Axis (always seems to be a good budget choice, good barrels if a bit rough around the edges)

Thompson/Center Compass (these seem to get rave reviews from those who really own one for both build quality & accuracy)

Mossberg (not sure which model that would be. Although last I was at Academy Sports they had the AR mag fed 5.56 version on clearance for $350)

Ruger American Ranch (lots of caliber choices with AR mag fed versions in 5.56 & .300bo. But I hear a lot of complaints re: rotary mags)

Now the first three aren't hard to find for $300 at any good big box store, the Ruger will usually run $400. And that's a short action so while it's available in cool calibers like .300bo if you want a .308 or 6.5CM you have to bump up to the Predator which is $500, that's a big jump from $300.

So in the $300-$400 range for a NIB bolt action, what's your recommendation or experience?

Currently my only centerfire bolt action is .300bo Am. Ranch (AR mag ver.) but owned a few older ones and a surplus K98 and Belgium mauser. The idea of a $300 bolt action in .308, 6.5cm or 30-06 has me thinking.
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 7:21:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd give serious consideration to the Howa 1500 rifles.

They run $450 or so.

Decent adjustable trigger, slick action, and more accurate than they should be.
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 7:33:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 7:40:56 AM EDT
[#3]
The Howa 1500, Ruger American and TC Compass are all great budget rifles.  The Howa may be the most accurate budget rifle ive shot though.

My Ruger American only shoots a 2-2.5" group at a hundred and ive tried 10-12 different brands and loads.  I gave up on it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 7:41:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Happy with my Savage axis. Picked it up from Walmart for $199. Definitely hunting worthy. Put a trigger kit in it for $20 because the Walmart models don't come with the accutrigger.
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 7:44:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Budget Rifle??

How about the Ruskie Mosin Nagant??
The 7.62x54r round is near equivalent to the 30.06

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 8:06:35 AM EDT
[#6]
The Ruger American is top-notch.  They can be had as a combo with a Vortex scope for <$400.
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 8:55:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I’ll suggest another option - a real budget “sleeper” capable of sub MOA:

The 783 Synthetic Heavy Barrel by Remington.

http://www.snipercentral.com/remington-783-synthetic-heavy-barrel-full-review/

Here’s the secret: it isn’t a Remington design. It’s a version of the excellent Marlin X7 rifle:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_783

But I am still a T/C Compass nut.  See my archived thread in the first post in this forum.
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 9:06:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 9:21:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Last I looked at AIM a Mosin was $360 before shipping & transfer.
And 7.62x54 is 40 cents/round from AIM as well.
They're a nice piece of history and still one of the cheaper surplus rifles but that doesn't beat a $300 big box bolt action shooting cheap steel cased Tula .308 for 30 cents/round or S&B 6.5CM for 50 cents/round.
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 9:48:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Pretty happy with this cheap RA in 6.5CM.   Stay clear of the older rotary mag models I hear. Mine takes the AICS single stack mags.

Magpul mags are out there for them, but you will gag when see the price.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 9:50:36 AM EDT
[#11]
I'll bite. My recommendations are:

1. Build your own Savage. My latest is a .270 Win built on an old Savage action, in a used B&C stock with a Savage 24" stainless barrel from Numrich guns. Shoots 1/2 MOA with 140 grain Partitions. Total cost $375.

2. Savage Hog Hunter. 20" threaded barrel. Mine shoots 1 MOA with decent 150 gr. soft points.

I have had great luck with savages. You can pickup a used one Very cheap and I think they shoot better than a new one with lower cost action/barrel.

The only other recommendation I will make is for a Marlin X7. My son has one in a .243. I think it was under $300 and shoots sub MOA. A real sleeper.
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 10:06:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

1. Build your own Savage. My latest is a .270 Win built on an old Savage action, in a used B&C stock with a Savage 24" stainless barrel from Numrich guns. Shoots 1/2 MOA with 140 grain Partitions. Total cost $375.

2. Savage Hog Hunter. 20" threaded barrel. Mine shoots 1 MOA with decent 150 gr. soft points.

I have had great luck with savages. You can pickup a used one very cheap and I think they shoot better than a new one with lower cost action/barrel.

The only other recommendation I will make is for a Marlin X7. My son has one in a .243. I think it was under $300 and shoots sub MOA. A real sleeper.
View Quote
I love Savage rifles.

Do you buy old guns to get the action, or do you have a source for them? Install the barrel yourself? I'd love to learn more if you don't mind sharing
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 10:13:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

: . .

View Quote
The Marlin X7 is indeed excellent, but it is now known as the Remington 783.  See my link above.

The Heavy Barrel model is generally sub-MOA and it comes with a threaded muzzle for your hunting suppressor.
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 10:20:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I love Savage rifles.

Do you buy old guns to get the action, or do you have a source for them? Install the barrel yourself? I'd love to learn more if you don't mind sharing
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have had great luck with savages. You can pickup a used one very cheap and I think they shoot better than a new one with lower cost action/barrel.

I love Savage rifles.

Do you belong to savageshooters.com forum? If not you should. The classifieds is a good place to find Savage guns/actions, stocks, barrels, parts, etc.. I have purchased both actions and rifles on which to build a new project. You can always sell the barrel you take off an action. Savages need a very limited set of tools to take down or build a rifle. I have built a total of about 10 so far ranging from .223 all the way up to 300 RUM. Everyone has been a decent shooter and some have been just flat out amazing. The .270 I just built shoots 3 shot groups that fit under a dime at 100 yards. Something very satisfying about building a gun for under $400 that shoots as well as a custom rifle costing hundreds more.

ETA: If you have any pawn shops near you, stop by to see what they have. The Savage 10/110 seems to be one of the most pawned guns I run into at these places. I have picked up a few over the years for really cheap.
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 10:23:01 AM EDT
[#15]

I picked up this real nice M38 carbine for $250 about 6 months ago.  You can get great deals in surplus in the secondary market if you be patient.
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 10:24:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The Marlin X7 is indeed excellent, but it is now known as the Remington 783.  See my link above.

The Heavy Barrel model is generally sub-MOA and it comes with a threaded muzzle for your hunting suppressor.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

: . .

The one my son owns has a whippy little barrel and no threaded muzzle. I was flabbergasted when I saw what it was capable of doing. Like any other factory rifle, there are crappy ones, OK ones, good ones and just flat out amazing ones. I guess his is one of the better ones. :-)
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 10:31:51 AM EDT
[#17]
That's a group from my TC Compass in 6.5. That's my wedding ring covering the holes. Factory federal ammo and black flies that felt like they were going to tear my face off that day at the range. I put a trigger spring in it and a Nikon monarch scope.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 10:32:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Last I looked at AIM a Mosin was $360 before shipping & transfer.
And 7.62x54 is 40 cents/round from AIM as well.
They're a nice piece of history and still one of the cheaper surplus rifles but that doesn't beat a $300 big box bolt action shooting cheap steel cased Tula .308 for 30 cents/round or S&B 6.5CM for 50 cents/round.
View Quote
Price per round of ammo is not that big of a deal with a bolt action.  With an AR15 you can easily go through 1000 rounds at a good range session.  With a larger caliber bolt action you may go through 80 rounds tops....and you will feel it the next day.
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 10:39:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 11:51:19 AM EDT
[#20]
I have a TC Compass in .243.  Nice little gun.
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 1:54:02 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a Compass in .308.  It's more accurate than I am and it was an unreal value--I paid $200 after rebate a year or so ago.
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 2:22:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 8:54:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Here’s the secret: it isn’t a Remington design. It’s a version of the excellent Marlin X7 rifle:

But I am still a T/C Compass nut.  See my archived thread in the first post in this forum.
View Quote
I will vouch for the 783 as well. They're simple, rugged, and super accurate for the price. The competition shooter at Remington told me he was blown away by how accurate the one he test fired in .223 was. They come in a myriad of stocks and calibers/barrel contours. I wouldn't hesitate picking one up if I were in the market, but I'm slightly biased spending 3 months assembling and inspecting the damn things (gotta love mismanagement) and learning every piece, feature, and operation in the meantime.
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 11:43:27 PM EDT
[#24]
The Savage Apex Storm package is a good value.  For ~$550 you get a Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x40 mounted on a stainless steel action with a black, synthetic stock and their accu-trigger.  It is not the Savage 110 Storm adjustable stock, but it works fine for most purposes.

Savage Apex Storm XP 6.5 Creedmoor

I was going to get my gf one of these, but ended up going with the slightly more expensive Savage 110 Storm instead.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 7:09:44 PM EDT
[#25]
If you are just looking for hunting accuracy, pick up a used Rem 700 in the caliber of your choice.  Older the better, frankly, as long as the finish is decent, the action doesn't bind, the trigger is crisp, and the bore is clean, unpitted and shows good rifling.  The ones from back in the '60s and '70 even into the mid '80s were very good for rack grade rifles.  Later, after Remington went through ownership changes, quality went south.  If the stock is wood (likely) you can drop the action in a synthetic stock pretty cheaply.  You can run the S/N and get date of manufacture.

Rem 700s have a huge aftermarket parts availability and you can do all sorts of things to it to improve it, accurize it and make it your own.  A gunsmith can rebarrel them in his/her sleep, too.

I have four BDL 700's from that era (. 280, 7mm Rem Mag, and two in '06) and one really nice Custom Shop 700 (also in .280).  All are shooters.  The Custom Shop one I bought new when they still gave a damn about quality.  It's a different creature altogether.  3/4 MOA or better, close to 1/2 MOA even with a sporter barrel.  The rack guns all shoot under 2 MOA.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 3:19:42 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a Ruger American in 308 with the rotary mag.  Works fine.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 6:59:05 PM EDT
[#27]
A used older model Savage would be my choice. And drop a 200 dollar optic, either a PA red dot or a budget 3-9 scope.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 9:05:49 PM EDT
[#28]
A lot of used bolt guns will shoot well. For a low priced new gun look at the TC Compass. I have one in 5.56 It will shoot under 2" 5 shot groups at 300 yds with factory FGMM 77gr. Match Kings.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 12:15:26 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM and the internet chatter is true:

-OEM stock is serviceable, but just barely.  It holds the action, but the comb is too low and the foreend on mine touched the barrel.  I added a kydex riser and dremeled the barrel channel on the stock.  It is quite light.  You won't care if it gets scratched sliding around the trunk.

-The action is relatively smooth and fit and finish is utilitarian.  No gloss blue here.

-The included rotary mag worked fine.  A spare OEM I purchased wouldn't feed reliably.  The replacement from Ruger also wouldn't feed reliably.  I switched to the box mag for the .450 Bushmaster and it feeds fine, but at the cost of 1 round.  Ruger recognized this and now offers versions that use AICS mags.

-They are accurate.  Mine will hold 1" at 100 yards with multiple factory loads including Hornady 129gr Interlock American Whitetail and Hornady 140gr BTHP American Gunner.

The gun exceeded my expectations.  I put it in a takeoff Ruger American Compact stock and had the barrel cut and trheaded to 16.75".  The Sig scope is heavy, but even with the can and scope, it's a handy little gun.

Link Posted: 8/16/2019 3:59:31 PM EDT
[#30]
A local(ish) shop has a shipment of 6.5 Creedmore T/C Compass rifles w skinny, threaded barrels for $250 bucks on sale.  I'm thinking of one, w a scope I'd be in like 550 bucks.  What are realistic accuracy expectations?
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 1:20:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm not a fan of the Ruger American.  The action is very nice and the magazine worked well enough but the stock is awful, and mine wouldn't shoot under 2" no matter what kind of ammo I tried.  I ended up selling it and getting a Remington 783 which is all around a much nicer rifle.  The first 783 keyholed badly so Remington took it back and sent me a new one.  This one is a sub MOA rifle.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 1:36:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
That's a group from my TC Compass in 6.5. That's my wedding ring covering the holes. Factory federal ammo and black flies that felt like they were going to tear my face off that day at the range. I put a trigger spring in it and a Nikon monarch scope.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/349765/IMG_20190605_205234277_jpg-1002376.JPG
View Quote
I'm getting similar results from my compass in 6.5 with Hornady American gunner and a cheap cabalas covenant scope (my ghetto rifle lol).

I was really disappointed at first with the rifle, it group at 3 or 4 moa and wouldn't hold zero.... I figured out the factory scope mount screws were loose and they were sliding back and forth. Once I fixed that instant shooter.

I also have a ruger ranch in 556 that's a nice shooter.

Word to the wise.... if your looking to mount a suppressor or brake to a budget rifle check the threading to make sure it concentric before you take it home. The compass was good to go, the ruger is so far off center that I cant use my can or even put a muzzle break on it without serious POA shift (like off the backstop shift).
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 4:35:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Weatherby Vanguard Series II
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 4:48:05 PM EDT
[#34]
I’ve had several of the budget guns ($350 or less).

My preference, in order:

Mossberg Patriot (standard calibers) - most features for the price, pretty light weight.  Almost always an accurate shooter with a variety of loads, even cheap ones.  Cheap stock and all plastic mags are the key negative.

Remington 783 - smooth action, acceptably accurate, solid overall choice.  Molded sling swivels ruin it for many, although the stock itself is probably the stiffest of the ultra budget guns.

Savage Axis - accurate, stout action, tang safety, horrible trigger if you don’t get the Accutrigger model (Axis II XP)

All are usable, all have some negatives.  The most ready to go out of the box is the Mossberg.

I was tempted to try a Compass, but it seems like the accuracy and triggers are really hit and miss on those.  I am a fan of the 3 position safety, though.

All 4 (if you include the Compass) can be had for sub $300.

If you can stretch your budget to about $450 or so, you can find a Howa 1500 or Weatherby Vanguard, which I consider lifetime quality guns.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 4:52:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I will vouch for the 783 as well. They're simple, rugged, and super accurate for the price. The competition shooter at Remington told me he was blown away by how accurate the one he test fired in .223 was. They come in a myriad of stocks and calibers/barrel contours. I wouldn't hesitate picking one up if I were in the market, but I'm slightly biased spending 3 months assembling and inspecting the damn things (gotta love mismanagement) and learning every piece, feature, and operation in the meantime.
View Quote
The 783 is a very underrated rifle.  Too many folks confuse it with a 770.  It’s a whole different animal.  The 783 is essentially a Marlin X7; I’ve seen people slam the 783 while lamenting the lost Marlin.  Other than a few minor details it’s the same gun.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 10:35:14 AM EDT
[#36]

Shot the compass out to 720 this weekend with really good results. Wife and I were both able to ring steel consistently and shot some pretty nice groups (she shot sub moa and I was just over at 720)... I was pretty happy considering the heat mirage in my value scope was pretty harsh and we had a variable wind.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 1:56:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The 783 is a very underrated rifle.  Too many folks confuse it with a 770.  It's a whole different animal.  The 783 is essentially a Marlin X7; I've seen people slam the 783 while lamenting the lost Marlin.  Other than a few minor details it's the same gun.
View Quote
And the Marlin X7/XL7 is essentially an amalgamation of features from the Model 70, R700 and Savage 10/110 (barrel nut). I don't know if the 783 uses the same trigger as the Marlin, but my XL7 has a very nice adjustable trigger. If I had a use for .270Win I'd shoot it more.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 5:46:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

And the Marlin X7/XL7 is essentially an amalgamation of features from the Model 70, R700 and Savage 10/110 (barrel nut). I don't know if the 783 uses the same trigger as the Marlin, but my XL7 has a very nice adjustable trigger. If I had a use for .270Win I'd shoot it more.
View Quote
It does use the same exact trigger, only Remington calls it the “Crossfire” trigger.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 7:38:18 PM EDT
[#39]
I’d have to go with one of the $250 T/C Compass rifles at CDNN.

CDNN also has the Marlin X-7 in .243 with a scope for the same price.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 8:06:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 8:08:41 PM EDT
[#41]
You can't beat the T/C Compass for the price.  Every now and then you can grab them for $200 or less on rebate.  Ruger American is another good one but a couple hundred more.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 8:11:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 12:58:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Tikka, Howa, Vanguard, older 700
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 1:21:51 PM EDT
[#44]
My nephew has a Mossberg Patriot that was part of the rifle/scope combo packages.  It functions well enough, but it has some accuracy issues.  I haven't been able to troubleshoot the gun aside from a loose action screw which helped a lot but not completely.  I'm not sure if it's a bum scope, loose rings or bases, or what.  Given that it had a loose action screw when he showed up at the range, I'm not ready to blame the gun.  It was a .308 and he brought some kind of Winchester hunting ammo.

I'm still happy with my Ruger American.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top