Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2021 12:26:28 PM EDT
Happy to plink with cheaper 357 and 38s, but I'm curious what the "best" options are to get the full benefit out of a 16" 357 henry. I'm going to use it as a travel/camping gun in the SE USA so no need for grizzly protection. I've heard you can get 357 up to almost 30-30 power levels and that appeals to me.

assuming cost is a non issue since this will be a low volume load, what do I go with?
Hardcast heavy stuff?
Buffalo bore?
HST for a revolver?
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 12:37:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a similar Marlin. I like the 160 or 180 grain Fiocci ammo. This shoots well and the heaver bullets are IMO more accurate and more effective at the end of the range.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 1:19:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I settled on Buffalo Bore back when I researched it, but I haven't shot any game with it.  It grouped well out of a 16" Rossi.

This stuff.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 2:53:57 PM EDT
[#3]
What's your twist rate?

Note: I don't have any answers, but figure that info might help those who do.  The best ammo I ever fired through a 16" lever was some really hot .357 handloads that were 1/10 gr. under max.  Shot like a laser beam.  But that was a 16" SS Rossi, not your glorious CCH Henry
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 7:05:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What's your twist rate?

Note: I don't have any answers, but figure that info might help those who do.  The best ammo I ever fired through a 16" lever was some really hot .357 handloads that were 1/10 gr. under max.  Shot like a laser beam.  But that was a 16" SS Rossi, not your glorious CCH Henry
View Quote

You are right, she is pretty!

No idea twist. Off to research. Haven’t owned a lever gun in probably 15 years or a 357 in a decade. Looks like 1/16
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 8:21:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I roll my own, but I always thought that the 125gr SJHP Remingtom Green and White box was the hottest .357 ammo....
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 5:18:15 AM EDT
[#6]
My limited understanding (with zero personal experience!) is that for factory ammo, soft grain ammo seems to work better in rifles chambered in revolver cartridges. Something like most hollow points are going too fast and will break up.
I'm going down a similar road as you (except I want a .44 rifle) and it seems that 240 grain soft points are the best overall round there. I would guess that 158 grain soft points would be the starting choice for a .357 rifle. Unfortunately we're in a bad time to pick up several boxes and try them out.

Again, no personal experience, just what I've gathered. I could be way wrong, I hope not.

@03RN
@Derek45
@CaptShiess
@Morgan321

I think I have these right. These guys seem to have a lot of experience with .357 rifles.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 7:09:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
assuming cost is a non issue since this will be a low volume load....
View Quote

Cost is an issue - I would prefer to get more ammo for the same price so I could shoot more.  Esp with slow pistol rounds you need to be really familiar with your gun/ammo because the difference between 50yds and 150yds is a huge difference if you want to shoot an animal.  

I would load your own for consistency - nothing worse than not being able to buy the ammo you are familiar with and having to waste new ammo familiarizing yourself with it.  

Even at panic prices a brick of primers and two pounds of whatever magnum powder you can find will go a long way and be much cheaper than buying.  

If you're really worried about power then you'd be better off to get a rifle in a bigger caliber.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 7:30:35 AM EDT
[#8]
158 or 180 grain soft point of whatever flavor you can find would be my choice in a carbine.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 7:47:13 AM EDT
[#9]
LeveRevolution from Hornady.  I believe it is a 140-gr bullet with a polymer tip.  Positively screams out of a lever rifle.  Have harvested deer with it.

Or roll your own.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 8:52:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Cost is an issue - I would prefer to get more ammo for the same price so I could shoot more.  Esp with slow pistol rounds you need to be really familiar with your gun/ammo because the difference between 50yds and 150yds is a huge difference if you want to shoot an animal.  

I would load your own for consistency - nothing worse than not being able to buy the ammo you are familiar with and having to waste new ammo familiarizing yourself with it.  

Even at panic prices a brick of primers and two pounds of whatever magnum powder you can find will go a long way and be much cheaper than buying.  

If you're really worried about power then you'd be better off to get a rifle in a bigger caliber.  
View Quote

I'm not worried about it for hunting. I plan on using this gun mostly for plinking and general 2 legged defense. But if push came to shove I would want the hardest hitting version of whatever it is, even if that's a different zero than I'm used to. I see my use as close range so I can't imagine POI/POA matters that much in this circumstance.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 11:57:15 AM EDT
[#11]
158gr JSP.  Brand doesn't really matter.
Whatever shoots best.

Federal is my fav.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 1:52:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I settled on Buffalo Bore back when I researched it, but I haven't shot any game with it.  It grouped well out of a 16" Rossi.

This stuff.
View Quote

Oooh... I'll have to get some of that shit. I want to try some heavy bullets in the Big Boy X I'll receive next week... I've got literally 5 rounds of 158gr .38 +P on hand right now.

Just checked my stash... I've got a little tub full of .357 and .38 empties, and found most of a box of some 158gr jacketed HP and my .38/357 dies. I'll have to clean up the cases and sort them out, then get some components and load my own.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 2:29:23 PM EDT
[#13]
.357 numbers

.357 mag carbine gel test: American Eagle 158 gr JSP

.357 mag carbine & revolver gel test: Remington 180 gr SJHP

If I could only have one type of .357 it would be a 158gr swc-wn over 13.5gr 2400 or 14.2gr aa9.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 6:00:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
158gr JSP.  Brand doesn't really matter.
Whatever shoots best.

Federal is my fav.
View Quote

I've killed a few critters with 158gr JSPs; hot, old school Speer offering that they don't make anymore and I've only got a handful of them left.  I've got a couple of boxes of the Hornady Leverevolution and they seem to shoot well and flatter trajectory but I haven't shot anything other than paper with them.  For tossing in the truck/camping, I usually put 158gr SJHP or SJSP in the gun.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 9:01:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
.357 numbers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dMXKHUxjgQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzrxHjX7eWo

If I could only have one type of .357 it would be a 158gr swc-wn over 13.5gr 2400 or 14.2gr aa9.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/16/2021 10:44:09 PM EDT
[#17]

Consider that the velocity at 100yds out of a rifle is pretty comparable to the velocity at the muzzle out of a handgun.

Link Posted: 4/19/2021 2:48:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
LeveRevolution from Hornady.  I believe it is a 140-gr bullet with a polymer tip.  Positively screams out of a lever rifle.  Have harvested deer with it.

Or roll your own.
View Quote

Yes on this. Most .357 ammo is designed for handguns, and designed to expand sufficiently from 6” or shorter barrels. Fired from a rifle length barrel those same bullets will disintegrate on impact. So a heavy jacket or hard cast bullet is needed.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 9:55:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Or roll your own.
View Quote
I echo this.Took a nice doe with my 1894 and this ammo.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 10:08:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Another vote for Sierra 158gr softpoint over 14.5 gr Alliant 2400.  I've loaded thousands of them, they expand just fine.  

No need to hotrod it, that load groups better than max and has more than enough power to drop anything you care to shoot.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 9:31:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Another vote for Sierra 158gr softpoint over 14.5 gr Alliant 2400.  I've loaded thousands of them, they expand just fine.  

No need to hotrod it, that load groups better than max and has more than enough power to drop anything you care to shoot.
View Quote

Now if I could find some bullets, powder and primers...
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 1:19:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yes on this. Most .357 ammo is designed for handguns, and designed to expand sufficiently from 6” or shorter barrels. Fired from a rifle length barrel those same bullets will disintegrate on impact. So a heavy jacket or hard cast bullet is needed.
View Quote

158gr and up do pretty well in a carbine.
I just saw a pic of a XTP that did perfectly @ 60yds.

Link Posted: 4/23/2021 3:04:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of soft points dont expand from handgun velocities. The AE 158gr sp is an awesome carbine round.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 3:02:53 PM EDT
[#24]
OH NICE.

Turns out I have most of a pound of 2400 in the old stash of reloading shit.

Would be nicer if I had a stash of handgun primers and bullets, tho. :/
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 8:59:49 PM EDT
[#25]
I've killed a number deer with the American Eagle 158 gr. soft point load. Consider it an affordable choice (in times if plenty) that performs well on big game at moderate ranges. If you want the hottest stuff out there, Buffalo Bore is the answer. Either 180 hardcast, 180 JHP or bonded 158. I here Underwood makes great stuff as well, but I've never tried.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:03:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Or roll your own.
View Quote

This.
LeveRevolution is great stuff. If you can find it now…
The BB 180gr hard cast rounds are good deer medicine too.

You’ll need to see what your rifle likes, there can be some significant accuracy and POA/POI differences between rounds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top