Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2019 10:15:48 PM EDT
I used to have one in high school but I'm pretty sure I bit myself with it and gave up on it. Over the years I got more into good folders and recently autos, since they are more tactical/useful, etc. But a work buddy loaned me a trainer balisong to mess around with and I forgot how fun they are, especially when there's no risk of cutting my shit off.

so I'm wondering if there's literally any reason to get one, get a trainer, and get back into it. I remember that scene in the punisher movie is bad ass, and it's pretty old school gangster, but I'm wondering if modern folders and autos have done away with any need to have one and practice with it.

any reason to own one, practice, and EDC it or not so much?
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 5:28:18 AM EDT
[#1]
legal to own, but not sure if legal to carry

DYOR to be safe

eta:  although they are cool & fun... dont think i want to mess w/ one in a stress situation
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 8:20:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't get flashy with your opening...
And you will have the strongest folder on Earth.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 8:33:00 PM EDT
[#3]
if you can have one of those and you cannot have an auto because of regional laws or prices..

it is a cheaper or available/ legal way to have a double edged stowable/foldable blade that you can open and close one handed.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 9:09:15 PM EDT
[#4]
A) they're fun to play with, but either get a trainer, or tape up the edges until you're comfortable flipping them
B) very strong in the open position.
C) can be opened very fast 1-handed, but an Emerson wave equipped folder is still faster (the wave deployment is even faster than a switchblade, since the draw and deployment are 1 movement vs 2).
D) I'm an advocate of the "concealed, means concealed" philosophy, but knowing how to flip one can be a deterrent against opponents without firearms. The average person seeing someone flipping a balisong tends to wonder, "they've trained enough to be skilled in THAT. What else might they be skilled at?"

Downsides

Not legal to own in some places. Not legal to carry in others. For pure utility, I prefer a folder with the Emerson wave (my EDC). A concealed pistol is definitely a better defensive tool.
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 9:04:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a couple of really cheap ones when I was a kid, broke them I believe.

I had a couple of Benchmades (I believe) about 16 (?) years back and sold them.

When I went to see about replacing them I was shocked at the prices they get now.

If they weren't so expensive I'd have a couple in the collection.

I don't consider myself "cheap" at all, but I just can't understand what makes them so expensive.
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 9:33:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

When I went to see about replacing them I was shocked at the prices they get now.

I don't consider myself "cheap" at all, but I just can't understand what makes them so expensive.
View Quote
They are illegal to import into the US.  Benchmade is made in the US by US machines/workers IE SPENDY per hour vs sweatshop labor.

https://www.customsmobile.com/regulations/expand/title19_chapterI_part12_subjgrp276_section12.17

Go down to "switch blades".  legally butterfly knives (bali song, gravity knives, ect).

I got a fancy one as a gift from a friend that had languished in a basement for YEARS, loked up what it was wroth on the ar15.com knife site, it was like 80 bucks.
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 9:37:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Basically a fidget spinner got one for my 7yo daughter “trainer” she loves it
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 9:41:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Cool in some ways.....they are flashy when opened/closed with some degree of panache.

That being said, locking folders are a lot faster these days.  I don't understand why the are so illegal in some places given that modern folders are faster to deploy and more user friendly.
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 10:30:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They are illegal to import into the US.  Benchmade is made in the US by US machines/workers IE SPENDY per hour vs sweatshop labor.

https://www.customsmobile.com/regulations/expand/title19_chapterI_part12_subjgrp276_section12.17

Go down to "switch blades".  legally butterfly knives (bali song, gravity knives, ect).

I got a fancy one as a gift from a friend that had languished in a basement for YEARS, loked up what it was wroth on the ar15.com knife site, it was like 80 bucks.
View Quote
Makes sense.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 6:29:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Cool in some ways.....they are flashy when opened/closed with some degree of panache.

That being said, locking folders are a lot faster these days.  I don't understand why the are so illegal in some places given that modern folders are faster to deploy and more user friendly.
View Quote
Movies and pearl clutching.

I've not messed with a benchmade, but to get any kind of strength in side to side play, I doubt it'll open very smooth.

They're nothing more than fun plaything in a world of much better designs these days.

Anyone that argues with me will probably have a youtube channel dedicated to blowing vape clouds and fedora reviews.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 6:41:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I had a sweet Balisong in the 80s bought with lawn mowing $.
Pretty sure my Mom sold it in a garage sale when I was off in the Army.
Good vintage ones are like $350+

Far better choices nowadays in your run of the mill spring assist opener.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 6:48:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 8:12:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Do used ones go for much money?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 11:12:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
They are illegal to import into the US.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are illegal to import into the US.
That must be why you never see the cheap,shitty ones at carnivals anymore.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 1:48:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That must be why you never see the cheap,shitty ones at carnivals anymore.
View Quote
Here's a relatively cheap Bear and Son. Go nuts.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/BC114/bear-son-114-balisong-butterfly-knife-satin-blade-silver-vein-zinc-handles
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 2:10:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Get both in one knife.

Auto butterfly.

AUTOMATIC BUTTERFLY KNIFE?? | SHOT Show 2019
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 2:15:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Get both in one knife.

Auto butterfly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs6Ka65Nt54
View Quote
That's actually really neat and I wanna play with it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 1:12:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get both in one knife.

Auto butterfly.

that is a very interesting design for sure!

Ok screw it, I just ordered one to play with. Guess I better learn the right way to do it before the real blade shows up...
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 1:28:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
legal to own, but not sure if legal to carry

DYOR to be safe

eta:  although they are cool & fun... dont think i want to mess w/ one in a stress situation
View Quote
Legal to own and carry in Texas. I also believe they are legal to import. If you think the Benchmade models are expensive look at some of the offerings from Microtech.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 1:43:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Only type I’m remotely interested in.

NEW Leatherman MultiTools | SHOT Show 2019
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 5:28:19 PM EDT
[#21]
They are without a doubt the strongest folding knife you can get, IF you buy a quality one.

The problem isn't the design, it's the stereotype. Even the Benchmades are "my life is a cool story bro" bling bling bullshit. The only company who has made a balisong to function as a proper knife dropped the ball. Argue what you want, but any knife with gloss metal handles is for people who don't use knives as tools.

The Bradley Kimuras are probably the best current bet. They go in and out of production, but now come with G10 scales. The only issue is they're still making them from Sandvik, which is a budget steel these days, but the price has not adjust. Blame Kershaw who makes them. They think Sandvik is still a mid grade steel and they're mighty proud of any knife they make in it.

Importation is easy to skate by, and why cheap ones are still out there. They ship them in disassembled sometimes, other times customs just doesn't check or care. There are lots of Chinese autos, and technically even assisted knives would fall under that "rule".

Avoid Bear and Sons unless your other option is a $20 cast Chinese crapper. It's slightly better.

I've given serious thought to speccing out a run of balisongs that would address multiple issues with them. It really disappoints me that such a simplistic and tough design is ignored for logical use.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 5:57:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I used to have one in high school but I'm pretty sure I bit myself with it and gave up on it. Over the years I got more into good folders and recently autos, since they are more tactical/useful, etc. But a work buddy loaned me a trainer balisong to mess around with and I forgot how fun they are, especially when there's no risk of cutting my shit off.

so I'm wondering if there's literally any reason to get one, get a trainer, and get back into it. I remember that scene in the punisher movie is bad ass, and it's pretty old school gangster, but I'm wondering if modern folders and autos have done away with any need to have one and practice with it.

any reason to own one, practice, and EDC it or not so much?
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

I carry a Benchmade 87 (pictured) or a 51 every day.  Balisongs are lighter, slimmer in your pocket, and feel more like using a fixed blade than a folder when open.  Slightly less practical than a proper folder but worth it IMO.  I vote FO

Are you looking at getting anything specific?
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 6:20:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/430189/726539D2-1142-41EB-9CBA-D2E2A2DF80D6_jpeg-841046.JPG

I carry a Benchmade 87 (pictured) or a 51 every day.  Balisongs are lighter, slimmer in your pocket, and feel more like using a fixed blade than a folder when open.  Slightly less practical than a proper folder but worth it IMO.  I vote FO

Are you looking at getting anything specific?
View Quote
@skindroid wow I really like the profile on that one. I actually just grabbed a Balisong from Benchmade from a member here on the forum. It looks a lot like a nice version of the $8 one I had in high school, but I don't know the model number or anything. I figure for $100 I'll give it a go and see if it's as fun as a remember. I don't know the model or anything but I'll post it up when I get it, or you can see pics in the blade section of the classifieds here.

anywhere you'd suggest I go to learn the right way to do stuff before I become Stumpy McStuberson?
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 6:59:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Hot.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 7:33:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

@skindroid wow I really like the profile on that one. I actually just grabbed a Balisong from Benchmade from a member here on the forum. It looks a lot like a nice version of the $8 one I had in high school, but I don't know the model number or anything. I figure for $100 I'll give it a go and see if it's as fun as a remember. I don't know the model or anything but I'll post it up when I get it, or you can see pics in the blade section of the classifieds here.

anywhere you'd suggest I go to learn the right way to do stuff before I become Stumpy McStuberson?
View Quote
$100 for a used Benchmade isn’t bad - Definitely put up a pic when you can.

If you are worried about getting cut, run some tape on the blade like one of the other members posted.  A lot of guys prefer that to using a trainer as you get used to the nuances of flipping your actual knife with less risk of getting bit up.

Youtube is pretty helpful as far as learning, there are a ton of tutorials on there.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 8:19:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If you are worried about getting cut, run some tape on the blade like one of the other members posted.  A lot of guys prefer that to using a trainer as you get used to the nuances of flipping your actual knife with less risk of getting bit up.

Youtube is pretty helpful as far as learning, there are a ton of tutorials on there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 8:46:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Ok screw it, I just ordered one to play with. Guess I better learn the right way to do it before the real blade shows up...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get both in one knife.

Auto butterfly.

I'm going to get the sharpened auto when it is released soon.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 5:54:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Because there are a lot of old laws, made obsolete by newer technology, but the laws are still on the books.

Assisted opening folders are legal pretty much everywhere (except places with stupid laws and dumber enforcement, like NY and Shitcago).

Assisted openers have made switchblade and gravity knife laws obsolete, but they're still on the books in many places.

As mentioned in my earlier post, the Emerson wave beats the pants off ANY non-fixed blade knife as far as rapid deployment goes. Even with a switchblade, drawing the knife, then deploying the blade, are 2 separate consecutive movements. The Emerson wave reduced that to 1 fluid movement.

Knives that open that way are faster than a switchblade or balisong. Assisted openers are just as fast as switchblades and balisongs, so why are those laws still around?

Knife Rights has done a stellar job at chipping away these obsolete, barnacle encrusted laws (MI's switchblade law was repealed in 2017), bit by bit, and State by State. If only the NRA could follow their lead as opposed to the, "we support bumpstock bans" type BS.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 7:20:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Legal to own and carry in Texas. I also believe they are legal to import. If you think the Benchmade models are expensive look at some of the offerings from Microtech.
View Quote
@Kinzei
You  realize I LITERALLY cited the actual law saying they are illegal to import right?
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 9:19:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

@Kinzei
You  realize I LITERALLY cited the actual law saying they are illegal to import right?
View Quote
Sorry. Must have missed that part. I stand corrected.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top