Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2022 1:29:37 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 1:41:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I had always been under the assumption that powder coating would only adhere to bare, base metal ......perhaps the 1st coat prevented proper adhesion of the 2nd ?
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 1:51:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 1:59:51 PM EDT
[#3]
If you asked me about cerakote I could answer, I only just started powder coating. I have 6 big truck wheels I am doing now. My gun is not enough to do layers so single stages has been working well. I suppose you could wet sand and polish that if it is thicc.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 2:10:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
from the reading I've been doing while I cry in my coffee, you can do a second coat but you need a "two stage" gun which I have. The second setting sends more current thru the metal to get better adhesion.
I've been looking for the arf of powder coating but any forums I've found are a ghost town.
View Quote

This is correct. What you are seeing is called stacking. For a second coating, which is typically avoided at all costs, you need a different voltage and a further stand-off distance. We typically would strip parts, which is expensive, before attempting a recoat. It just seems to never yield a very good result in terms of both durability or appearance.

ETA: I don’t powder coat anymore but I managed a plant for several years where we powder coated differential joints for Chrysler and Toyota. I had to get certified to manage the plant operations.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 3:18:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 10:25:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
any suggestions for stripping the powder coat off that won't harm the chrome underneath?
I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact I can't save it.
View Quote
I was waiting on him to answer. Aircraft stripper will not hurt the chrome. If that does not get it and you want to send it to me, I would be happy to media blast it for you. That will not remove the chrome but it would dull it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 6:05:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I have used the below product to remove powder coat from bow risers before cerakote. Expensive, but pulls it off great and can be shipped, unlike a bunch of the other ones.

https://www.removepowdercoatpaint.com/product-page/1-gallon-remove-9001-gel
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top