Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2022 9:49:33 PM EDT
I have decided I want an 1100 in 12 gauge, 2&3/4 chamber, vent rib. my question to The Hive is quality and dependability.  Is any used 1100 going to be reasonably dependable? Do I need to avoid those guns built during the time Freedom Group owned Remington. I`ve heard horror stories about new shotguns that would not work at all.  Any advice?
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 10:29:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Remington 1100's are great autoloaders. I've got my Dad's and my FIL's after they died. I replaced the oring and they each ran fine. Most encountered will be pre-87 guns.

https://www.huntinggearguy.com/shotgun-reviews/remington-1100-review/
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 10:49:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Remington 1100 is a very reliable shotgun. Gas operated, it requires cleaning occasionally.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 8:19:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I shot an 1100 for early 3 gun and Sportsman's Team Challenge up till the 2005 Ft Benning 3 gun match when I switched to a Benelli M1S90... with heavy usage there are some parts that may fail... I've broken multiple bolt carrier links (tuning fork)... couple of  extractors... one early two piece gas ring...had the shell interceptor latch come loose, fore end metal spacer,,,

if you EVER pull the trigger group out, be careful of your finger placement...the  bolt carrier rides in a slot in the receive and hones the slot edges to razor sharpness... be warned
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 8:30:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 10:08:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Remington 1100 is a very reliable shotgun. Gas operated, it requires cleaning occasionally.
View Quote
A new viton o-ring and gas ring are good once in a while too.  They are good for a lifetime in most cases.  If you buy used, you are the second lifetime.

I am lucky to have a decades old 1100.  Very soft shooting. I installed newer wood, a vent rib barrel, and new coating:

Link Posted: 7/12/2022 10:24:48 AM EDT
[#6]
1100's are very reliable.

I bought my first used one over 25 years ago and it didn't work.  The o-ring was completely missing and I didn't realize they had one.  I replaced it and before I knew it I had 4 or 5 of those shotguns.

I had trouble with the 20 gauge LT version breaking action bars.  Other than that, I just replace the o-ring before I go dove hunting just to know I have a good one.  Only problem I have ever seen in the field with others is the o-ring got old and cracked and hard.  I bought a 10 pack of them 15 years ago and still have some after giving a bunch away.  They last a long, long time, so I don't want to make it seem like this is some chronic issue - for most people changing once every 10 years will be fine unless you are shooting leagues with it.

I still have an unfired new condition 1100 made in 1982.  Going to give that one to my son and watch him fire the first shots out of it.  Have a matching unfired 1981 Wingmaster as well.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 12:30:06 PM EDT
[#7]
The worst thing that can happen to an (apparently functional) 1100 is for the area of the mag tube where the piston assembly sits to rust, and end up pitted so badly that too much gas escapes around the piston for it to cycle.

Generally that condition is more commonly seen on older carbon steel mag tube 1100s, but it can only happen due to neglect and poor maintenance.

Remington switched to stainless steel mag tubes to help extend their service life, and used to offer these replacement tubes as spare parts. Idk if they do now. They have to be brazed or high-temp soldered into the receiver.

Assuming your current mag tube is not too badly pitted, you can just throw on a new piston assembly and O-ring and clean it. Should be good after that.

They're not a bad design, but for a gas-operated gun I prefer Beretta.

Plenty of cheap used 1100 vent rib guns out there though, so if you watch the internet patiently you can find a great deal.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 1:53:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I also inherited my Dad’s 1100’s. What spare parts should I get? What should I replace now. I think these sat in a closet loaded with 00 buck for the last 20-30 years.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 2:09:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I also inherited my Dad's 1100's. What spare parts should I get? What should I replace now. I think these sat in a closet loaded with 00 buck for the last 20-30 years.
View Quote
Get a spare piston assembly (the snap-together nickel plated kind) and replace the O-ring.

Clean it and check the butt stock screw. Make sure it's tight.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 2:10:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I also inherited my Dad’s 1100’s. What spare parts should I get? What should I replace now. I think these sat in a closet loaded with 00 buck for the last 20-30 years.
View Quote

Go to ebay - search "remington 1100 viton" and buy a 6 pack of o-rings for under $5 for whatever gauge you have (most likely a 12 gauge).

I'd unload it and inspect the mag spring for rust.  Those can get old and weak if not lubricated and stored properly, and allowed to rust.

Remington 1100/1187 Firearm Maintenance Series: Part 1 Disassembly
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 2:12:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't forget to CHANGE the O-Ring to from time to time.

Cheap & will keep your 1100 popping right along!

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 2:27:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a 1100LT 20ga that shoots like a dream. My dad bought it for me in the early 80's.
As others have said, change the O-ring and enjoy a great auto-loader.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 7:52:25 PM EDT
[#13]
well, I started this thread to see if anybody cautioned me against buying an 1100 made during the Freedom Group years and so far, no one has.  the one I had & stupidly sold was an 1100-tac4,  12 gauge, vent rib, 22 inch with full length mag, I think 8 round capacity.  flat black. I`m tracking a couple of guns on gunbroker that are pretty close, I`d just have to get a mag extension & cut  down the barrel. easily done. they have the receiver engraving, but thats ok too.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 10:34:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Now if you want to tactical I would go Benelli, Stoeger M3k, or Beretta 1301.  

Miles ahead of a 1100 for that kind of gun.  1100 is a fine field gun.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 6:37:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Now if you want to tactical I would go Benelli, Stoeger M3k, or Beretta 1301.  

Miles ahead of a 1100 for that kind of gun.  1100 is a fine field gun.
View Quote

I`m not a 3 gun or match shooter. I just want a dupe of a gun I used to have. I shoot it now & then & keep it as a HD gun.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 7:17:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 7:44:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I inherited this one from my uncle. It reads "magnum" on the receiver, and it has limited engraving on the receiver, bolt, and wood. I've yet to shoot it, but it seems to be really nicely built. But the barrel is like 10 feet long, so I'm not sure what I'll do with it, if anything.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/88366/thumbnail_20220715_190925-2454113.jpg
View Quote

It takes about 3 minutes to change that barrel.
My 1100 was new to my Grandfather in the '60's, shot uncountable birds, shot uncountable clay birds, today wears a short barrel.

It's as sleek of a 12 ga. as you'll find.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 7:49:12 PM EDT
[#18]
It’s a long shot but you can see if anyone has Competition Master for sale. It’s what they turned into the Tactical but it has super cool grey furniture.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 8:09:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 2:11:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Thanks, I didn't even really think about a barrel change.
View Quote

If you'll never need the long barrel, you can also have it cut off and threaded if you want.

It's not difficult to chop off a shotgun barrel at home if you're handy. Leave an extra bit to remain legal
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 3:18:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It takes about 3 minutes to change that barrel.
My 1100 was new to my Grandfather in the '60's, shot uncountable birds, shot uncountable clay birds, today wears a short barrel.

It's as sleek of a 12 ga. as you'll find.

I have swapped several barrels on 870 Wingmasters and 1100's to get what I want.  You'd be surprised sometimes people are looking for your exact barrel.  I just find the one I want, and then then sell the one I don't.  Sometimes you come out ahead or even.

Sometimes I happen along a rare glossy blued remchoke barrel, I always snag those.

Magnums are more rare - those barrels fetch a premium.  Check ebay.  A lot of the old long barrels were 30" with a fixed full choke.  You can find lots of them on ebay to replace them - but you really need to find a magnum barrel to match that receiver.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 10:14:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

A lot of the old long barrels were 30" with a fixed full choke.  You can find lots of them on ebay to replace them
View Quote

Ah yes, my favorite victims.  
For whatever reason I never felt bad chopping those barrels back to a desired length. I would never hack a factory RemChoke barrel, but 30” fixed full is fair game.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 5:37:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 10:30:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have decided I want an 1100 in 12 gauge, 2&3/4 chamber, vent rib. my question to The Hive is quality and dependability.  Is any used 1100 going to be reasonably dependable? Do I need to avoid those guns built during the time Freedom Group owned Remington. I`ve heard horror stories about new shotguns that would not work at all.  Any advice?
View Quote

I purchased a LH 1100 a few years back to use as a informal trap gun. Paid less than $500.00 for it and it came with 30" full choke vent rib barrel. It's operated flawlessly, but I do clean it after each session and change the "o" ring every year at the end of the trap shooting season. I did three mods to it since I acquired it, I cut the stock down to fit me better, installed a Remington brand recoil pad and installed a stainless "Sure Cycle" system in it so I could use 1 oz. target loads in it reliably. Very happy with it.
Gary
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 10:42:01 PM EDT
[#25]
25 years and still going strong still on the original recoil action spring, just changed the piston rings and it been ran very hard on 3rd barrel from being thrown, in the duck boat in the V and they bend over the years.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 10:44:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

For whatever reason I never felt bad chopping those barrels back to a desired length. I would never hack a factory RemChoke barrel, but 30” fixed full is fair game.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of the old long barrels were 30" with a fixed full choke.  You can find lots of them on ebay to replace them

30" with a fixed full choke, slings Win XX 2-3/4 00 buckshot 50 yards and kills deer.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 9:24:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
25 years and still going strong still on the original recoil action spring, just changed the piston rings and it been ran very hard on 3rd barrel from being thrown, in the duck boat in the V and they bend over the years.
View Quote

Dad's got an 1100 Magnum he bought new around 1976-77 and I think the only part on it that's been replaced is the o-ring. I tried to replace the action spring last year but I could not get the threaded end off the tube and gave up. My guess is it's rusted in place since my dad has used the gun hard and he's not one for meticulous maintenance, it's nothing more than a tool for him. Even though it's a 3" version it always cycled HV 2 3/4" loads but has been getting picky about them the last few years so I think it needs an overhaul.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 8:35:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I shot an 1100 for early 3 gun and Sportsman's Team Challenge up till the 2005 Ft Benning 3 gun match when I switched to a Benelli M1S90... with heavy usage there are some parts that may fail... I've broken multiple bolt carrier links (tuning fork)... couple of  extractors... one early two piece gas ring...had the shell interceptor latch come loose, fore end metal spacer,,,

if you EVER pull the trigger group out, be careful of your finger placement...the  bolt carrier rides in a slot in the receive and hones the slot edges to razor sharpness... be warned
View Quote

Last sentence is very important. It's not just a little paper cut, it is a slice to the bone bleeding like a stuck hog kind of cut. Pro tip, 4 layers of paper towel will not protect you, just don't stick your fingers in there.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 9:03:26 PM EDT
[#29]
I have several.  All are fixed full  chokes instead of screw chokes. The oldest I inherited in 1975, it's killed a LOT of dove.  Never had a problem with either the 12', 16  or 20 ga.  I'd love to find a 28 ga but that last one I saw was over $1700.

The dove hunting camp in Mexico my dad hunted used 1100's as house guns for folks that did not want to bring their own guns across the border.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 3:40:28 PM EDT
[#30]
LGS has a 1980 built 1100 that looks unfired. I can’t find anything on the wood or metal that shows that the gun was ever out of the box . $599.00 . The only thing that has kept me from buying it is the 30” full choke barrel on it .

Link Posted: 8/6/2022 7:00:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
LGS has a 1980 built 1100 that looks unfired. I can’t find anything on the wood or metal that shows that the gun was ever out of the box . $599.00 . The only thing that has kept me from buying it is the 30” full choke barrel on it .

View Quote

Add chokes or switch the barrel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top