Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2018 10:26:38 AM EDT
Which one would you choose and why?

Have my choice of the three. I know nothing of the individual parts values, which seems to be the key in valuing a Garand. All 3 are Service Grade from CMP recently, with new stocks. I want one that has the highest value, but also want one that is a good shooter. I'm leaning towards the SA built in Aug 1943 since it was made during the war, but it's also the most well worn. Here is the break out of what I can see:

# 1
- SA receiver with 1,79x,xxx serial number
- SA bolt 6,59x,xxx SN
- SA barrel 1-S-A-7-xx
- Op rod = no marking
- Stamped trigger guard
- Muzzle reading = 2+
- Throat reading = 3

# 2
- SA receiver with 5,35x,xxx serial number
- IHC bolt 6,52x,xxx SN
- SA barrel 6,53x,xxx (other marking "pM" and "4 63 Y21")
- Op rod = no marking
- Milled trigger guard
- Muzzle reading = 2+
- Throat reading = 2+

# 3
- H&R receiver with 4,79x,xxx serial number
- W.R.A. bolt D28,xxx-I
- SA barrel F653xxxx (other "T" "Z", other indiscernible)
- Op rod = NM
- Stamped trigger guard
- Milled reading = 2
- Throat reading = 3
- Front site is more bowed out than the other two

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 10:28:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 10:52:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Number 2.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 11:21:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 11:39:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Number 2.
View Quote
This. I don't think the fact that it was made during the war matters at all, it has no real collector value improvement over #2 and its more worn (IMHO).

If I had my pick it would be #2 because it's SA, less worn and looks like it would be a better shooter.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 11:59:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Agree #2 they ,as almost all M1’s are, are mixed part rebuilds and at that point your most important criteria is the best barrel. It is most likely ( not a forgone absolute) the least worn barrel will be the most accurate. Unfortunately on two you did not give the barrel production dates which would be helpful. Rolling the dice would say #2. Is it possible one of the other barrels could shoot more accurately than that on #2- of course but without getting the chance to shoot side by side you will never know. A bunch of other things will also affect accuracy such as trigger group wear, tightness of stock any odd pressure from hand guards looseness of gas cylinder on barrel and so on.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 11:59:58 AM EDT
[#6]
#2 for sure.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 12:20:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd take #1
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 12:20:08 PM EDT
[#8]
First off there is no need to "X" out numbers on anything but the rear of the receivers. All the other numbers are machinists drawing numbers that indicate which engineering drawing was used for the machining specs during manufacture. Machining specs were routinely updated throughout manufacturing.Those numbers are not serial numbers. All of your listed Garands are rebuilt. It is very rare indeed to locate a Garand that was 100% original and no rebuilt according to  Ord. Dept specifications.

All the erosion wear readings are very good.  The SA & H&R Garands are all post WWII manufacture. #! SA receiver was manufactured during WWII. None of which effects quality because all the listed rifles have been function, safety checked, inspected and test fired by CMP. Choose the one you like, none are worth more than any other. If one was collecting Garands and had a niche to fill, then choose the one that fills your collection niche. Other than that, they are all excellent condition and will give years of shooting pleasure as long as they are maintnained and the proper ammunition is used. Not all 30-06 ammo will safely function the Garand rifle as modern hunting admonition can bend operating rods and cause malfunctions. CMP sells the proper ammunition, Federal makes ammo with specs , as does Prvi Partizan and a few others. Just be sure the ammunition is  manufactured specifically for the M1 Garand.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 12:54:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Number 2.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 1:18:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Good info. Thanks fellas!
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 1:21:55 PM EDT
[#11]
There is nothing special about any of them...

to seal the deal...go shoot two clips through each one..  the first clip to settle the action...the second clip for record.

Take the rifle with the best accuracy...

nuff said...
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 2:24:16 PM EDT
[#12]
# 2 is mine. Thanks again for the input guys!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 6:24:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Congrats Kodiak.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 10:44:12 PM EDT
[#14]
SN 179 please
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 12:48:01 AM EDT
[#15]
#3 - The HRA M1a were made very nice and without war-time production pressure.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 7:22:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
#3 - The HRA M1a were made very nice and without war-time production pressure.
View Quote
Agree. The HRA Q.C. was very high.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 10:51:12 PM EDT
[#17]
If I was looking for a shooter.....
I'd go with what  Jeremy2171 said.   Course, it's not always possible.

Then again.....you've already picked.  So, this is a moot post.

Aloha, Mark
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top