Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/29/2024 8:42:40 PM EDT
I put a Kurz adaptor on my K to shorten it up even more.  It seems to fit with the YHM standard length flash hiders (and the shorter ones).  Are there any adverse effects of running the FH deeper into the can with the Kurz adaptor?  I was wondering if it would accelerate wear or not be as effective at noise reduction?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 9:17:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mak0] [#1]
In theory moving the muzzle closer to the blast baffle is going to increase wear. You can always use a brake instead of a flash hider if it concerns you.

ETA: and decreasing the internal volume of the blast baffle is going to reduce performance. I believe YHM claims something like a 2db loss in noise reduction going with the kurz kit instead of the standard mount.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 9:22:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mak0:
In theory moving the muzzle closer to the blast baffle is going to increase wear. You can always use a brake instead of a flash hider if it concerns you.

ETA: and decreasing the internal volume of the blast baffle is going to reduce performance. I believe YHM claims something like a 2db loss in noise reduction going with the kurz kit instead of the standard mount.
View Quote

Thanks.  I'll probably just stick with the standard adaptor than and deal with the extra length.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 9:37:35 PM EDT
[#3]
What sort of gun?
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 9:37:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Send it they are pretty tough cans
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 9:45:04 PM EDT
[#5]
It will definitely increase sound and be harder on the blast baffle.  Worth it in my opinion.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 9:48:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By 1168RGR:
What sort of gun?
View Quote

10.5" & 11.5" AR & Bren 2.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 11:31:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Have you thought about switching to the sRx family?
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 11:57:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Bakke1:
Have you thought about switching to the sRx family?
View Quote

Yeah, but I’m already invested in the standard platform.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 10:32:10 AM EDT
[#9]
I emailed YHM.  They said their Phantom is too long for the chamber of the Turbo K w/Kurz.  Which is weird, as it fits with my regular length Phantoms.  They also said there shouldn't be any noticeable sound difference between using the Kurz or regular adaptor.  So, I'll just used the Kurz with my shorty Phantoms I have on a few firearms.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 11:25:45 AM EDT
[#10]
I am running the sRx flash hider and adapter on my Turbo K on a 12.5. Per YHM's drawing I only have .131" of clearance from end of fh to blast baffle. I haven't noticed anything erosion yet, but I am pretty low round count. Running the same setup with a Turbo T2 on a 10.3. That has an even lower round count though.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 2:28:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: YoungPatriot] [#11]
The Turbo K calls out for the Kurz mount IMHO.  It’s so compact to begin with and not really a can designed for chasing decibels but rather taking the edge off.  Just go with a mini-QD brake or FH and call it a day.  You’d have to shoot so much through it to notice a meaningful wear difference you could buy several cans based on ammo spend before worrying about it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 4:03:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By dump1567:
I emailed YHM.  They said their Phantom is too long for the chamber of the Turbo K w/Kurz.  Which is weird, as it fits with my regular length Phantoms.  They also said there shouldn't be any noticeable sound difference between using the Kurz or regular adaptor.  So, I'll just used the Kurz with my shorty Phantoms I have on a few firearms.
View Quote

So just so I'm clear, the longer flash hider physically fits inside the can with the Kurz adapter, just YHM doesn't recommend it?
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 4:17:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I’m new to a YHM TK as well and went plan B for my TK. That phantom ratchet system is just too heavy.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 4:21:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By GimmeLibertee:

So just so I'm clear, the longer flash hider physically fits inside the can with the Kurz adapter, just YHM doesn't recommend it?
View Quote
I'm very curious as well. I have an AUG with the 13x1LH thread and the only muzzle device YHM made was full length. My Turbo K with kurz kit pretty much lives on a different gun but I'd like to know it's ok to use sparingly on my AUG. I know it fits inside
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:06:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dump1567] [#15]

View Quote

Dimensionally, they say it doesn’t fit.  But mine do?  Unless somehow I bent in the innards of the can when I installed it?  Doesn’t seem to be the case though.  And I kind of measured the depth & length of the FH prior to installation.

Email received:

Hello,

Thank you for your email.

The TK has a blast chamber depth of 1.877”.

Using a KURZ and a 4302 series Flash Hider will give you a depth of 1.910” which is a no go.

With the KURZ and the 4302 Muzzle Break will give you a depth of 1.710”, good to go.

We find that there is no noticeable difference between the two.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.
Thank you,
Kevin Therrien - Customer Service Representative
Yankee Hill Machine Co., Inc.
412 Main Street
Easthampton, MA 01027
877-892-6533 Ext. 120
www.yhm.net M-F 7:30-4 EST
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 3:08:59 PM EDT
[#16]
I read that the Kurtz adapter will decrease suppression by 2 dB over the standard phantom and collar. It makes me wonder if using a direct thread configuration is better or worse than the phantom and collar setup.

Anyone know?
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 3:47:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Fooboy:
I read that the Kurtz adapter will decrease suppression by 2 dB over the standard phantom and collar. It makes me wonder if using a direct thread configuration is better or worse than the phantom and collar setup.

Anyone know?
View Quote

I’ve used mine DT on a 14”, Plan A on 11.5”-14.5”, and Gate-Lok on a 12.5”, and with Sordins on, it sounds about the same when accounting for barrel length. Very unscientific. I’d just use it with whatever mount fits your needs. Mine’ll go back to Plan A when my M4SD-L gets out of purgatory, and parked back on a 12.5”.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 4:04:00 PM EDT
[#18]
You guys running the Kurz should consider going to the sRx system. Shorter, lighter, and lower profile overall. It’s 10/10.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 4:22:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By TactiCoolBro:
You guys running the Kurz should consider going to the sRx system. Shorter, lighter, and lower profile overall. It’s 10/10.
View Quote

Does that require an sRx hub adapter?
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 4:37:40 PM EDT
[#20]

Does that require an sRx hub adapter?
View Quote

Yes, because it’s taper lock. (Very superior to the click locking style of the kurz IMO.)
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 4:50:03 PM EDT
[#21]

Yes, because it’s taper lock. (Very superior to the click locking style of the kurz IMO.)
View Quote

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 7:05:50 AM EDT
[#22]

Thanks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thanks.

Original YHM mounts are still taper lock. They have a secondary ratcheting lock. The Srx has no secondary lock
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:01:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#23]
There are Plan A/B adapters that add almost no length to the Turbo K.

It comes down to whether you like Rearden or Q mounts versus Griffin Mounts.  I like the Plan B ones a little more because the sealing taper is in front of the threads and the threads stay sparkling clean basically forever.  I have original style Turbo K (serial #18) that's used a Plan B on it since I got it in the beginning and it's been running running full auto and it's been rock solid.  Never come loose and wear has not been a problem.  

Honestly, I only use a mount system at all just to put a sacrificial brake in there... because I use the silencer dedicated to a machinegun, I don't really care about the mount otherwise.  In fact, the gun is tuned so it won't even cycle without the silencer.  If I were doing it all over again with modern products today, I'd use an AAC direct-thread brake; gives the simplicity and compactness of DT with a built in brake baffle for HUB suppressors:

Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:22:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TactiCoolBro] [#24]
Originally Posted By zpduff:

Original YHM mounts are still taper lock. They have a secondary ratcheting lock. The Srx has no secondary lock
View Quote

The ratcheting system is incredibly heavy, very bulky - and 100% unnecessary if the taper is made correctly.
The sRx must have a different angle or something, because it hasn’t come loose on me ever. Only been a couple range trips, but zero issues. Hand tight and it stays put, yet backs right off with no problem when you need it to.
The problems with the ratcheting system have been pretty well documented on this forum and several others.
YHM should consider doing away with the ratcheting system IMO. Or at a minimum stop including it with their suppressors. It’s just inferior in every way to their sRx system. The sRx is shorter than Kurz, lighter than Kurz, and aesthetically looks way better than the Kurz. Phantom (IMO) is completely ridiculous and it kind of blows my mind that anyone actually uses it between how much length it adds and how heavy it is.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:23:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Glocked] [#25]
Originally Posted By Millennial:
There are Plan A/B adapters that add almost no length to the Turbo K.

It comes down to whether you like Rearden or Q mounts versus Griffin Mounts.  I like the Plan B ones a little more because the sealing taper is in front of the threads and the threads stay sparkling clean basically forever.  I have original style Turbo K (serial #18) that's used a Plan B on it since I got it in the beginning and it's been running running full auto and it's been rock solid.  Never come loose and wear has not been a problem.  

Honestly, I only use a mount system at all just to put a sacrificial brake in there... because I use the silencer dedicated to a machinegun, I don't really care about the mount otherwise.  In fact, the gun is tuned so it won't even cycle without the silencer.  If I were doing it all over again with modern products today, I'd use an AAC direct-thread brake; gives the simplicity and compactness of DT with a built in brake baffle for HUB suppressors:

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-50c7cl/images/stencil/608x608/products/5913/28387/154371__26242.1681248583.jpg?c=2
View Quote

I love the new AAC direct thread adapter. It does a great job at keeping compact cans, compact and light. I love the Kurz mounts too, especially since I could just cut off all my old style YHM brakes to use it on compact cans. However, the Kurz and brake does add about 2.5-3 ounces over the weight of the AAC DTA.

AAC DTA top
YHM Kurz middle
YHM Phantom bottom.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:22:23 PM EDT
[#26]

The problems with the ratcheting system have been pretty well documented on this forum and several others.
YHM should consider doing away with the ratcheting system IMO. Or at a minimum stop including it with their suppressors. It’s just inferior in every way to their sRx system. The sRx is shorter than Kurz, lighter than Kurz, and aesthetically looks way better than the Kurz. Phantom (IMO) is completely ridiculous and it kind of blows my mind that anyone actually uses it between how much length it adds and how heavy it is.
View Quote

What problems with the ratcheting system are you referring to? I’ve been using it for many years and haven’t noticed any issues. Sure it’s not the lightest or prettiest, but it’s rugged and reliable, in my experience.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:53:59 PM EDT
[#27]
The legacy YHM mounting system has a bunch of threads that a lot of others don't carry. They have them for the M1A and M14x1LH for example that others don't offer. It's too bad they discontinued the 9/16x24LH for the FAL, had to use a Rugged mount for that.

They offer 2 choices for the SRX system, 1/2x28 and 5/8x24. Yes those are the most common, but anyone with a decent collection will find that severely lacking.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:59:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#28]

Dimensionally, they say it doesn’t fit.  But mine do?  Unless somehow I bent in the innards of the can when I installed it?  Doesn’t seem to be the case though.  And I kind of measured the depth & length of the FH prior to installation.

Email received:

Hello,

Thank you for your email.

The TK has a blast chamber depth of 1.877”.

Using a KURZ and a 4302 series Flash Hider will give you a depth of 1.910” which is a no go.

With the KURZ and the 4302 Muzzle Break will give you a depth of 1.710”, good to go.

We find that there is no noticeable difference between the two.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.
Thank you,
Kevin Therrien - Customer Service Representative
Yankee Hill Machine Co., Inc.
412 Main Street
Easthampton, MA 01027
877-892-6533 Ext. 120
www.yhm.net M-F 7:30-4 EST
View Quote

Well someone's wrong.

I use 4302 flash hiders exclusively and my k cans fit on all of them with the adaptor.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:00:12 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

The og mount is a taper too, the clicks are just a secondary retention.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:02:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#30]

What problems with the ratcheting system are you referring to? I’ve been using it for many years and haven’t noticed any issues. Sure it’s not the lightest or prettiest, but it’s rugged and reliable, in my experience.
View Quote

Sometimes the tooth can align in a way that prevents a full lock on the taper. Causing the taper to unlock after a few shots. In my experience it is about 1 in 5 mounts have this issue.

You can modify the collar by disassembling it and lightly filing the inside of it, allowing another degree of rotation.

I have two that had the issue that I've successfully modified.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:02:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Seems like a lot of work for me to take all my Kurz mounts off to swap to SrX. Plus the cost. I have kurz on like 6 rifles for two suppressors.  Thats $720 msrp. I’d rather another can or ammo.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:36:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By smokinghole:
Seems like a lot of work for me to take all my Kurz mounts off to swap to SrX. Plus the cost. I have kurz on like 6 rifles for two suppressors.  Thats $720 msrp. I’d rather another can or ammo.
View Quote

You can sell them easily. Sold my Kurz HUB adapters and phantom muzzle devices in literally 2 days.
Well worth a small loss to upgrade to the far superior sRx system.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:46:23 AM EDT
[#33]

You can sell them easily. Sold my Kurz HUB adapters and phantom muzzle devices in literally 2 days.
Well worth a small loss to upgrade to the far superior sRx system.
View Quote
Yep. Sold the stuff that came with my cans and bought sRx. YHM mounts and adapters can be found under MSRP very easily.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:30:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Finally ordered some SRX mounts.  Modern Warriors have these on sale right now as part of their 35% off sale.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:35:59 AM EDT
[#35]
I had to chop one baffle off my Phantom brake to fit the Kurz adapter with my Turbo K and Turbo 3.

Overall I'm happy with the Kurz system as it was by far the cheapest option to reduce the overall length in my case.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 12:02:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By JBecker_72:
I had to chop one baffle off my Phantom brake to fit the Kurz adapter with my Turbo K and Turbo 3.

Overall I'm happy with the Kurz system as it was by far the cheapest option to reduce the overall length in my case.
View Quote

Which mount can take more abuse?

Standard Phantom qd or Srx?
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 12:33:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Strikefirst:

View Quote
Not sure. The Phantom QD system is pretty idiot proof and repeatable in my experience. I like having the locking teeth to insure the can stays on.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 9:05:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Strikefirst:

View Quote

What kind of abuse? Generally speaking I’d expect something to break or go wrong with the phantom or Kurz mount just due to the fact that it’s got a lot of extra mechanical parts to it that the sRx doesn’t have or need.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 9:06:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Not sure. The Phantom QD system is pretty idiot proof and repeatable in my experience. I like having the locking teeth to insure the can stays on.
View Quote

Great thing with the sRx is there’s zero need for the locking teeth. Tighten by hand and it will never come off until you want it to.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 9:13:54 PM EDT
[#40]

Great thing with the sRx is there's zero need for the locking teeth. Tighten by hand and it will never come off until you want it to.
View All Quotes

Great thing with the sRx is there's zero need for the locking teeth. Tighten by hand and it will never come off until you want it to.
Both are taper mounts. The Phantom has the added security of a locking system.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 9:47:53 PM EDT
[#41]
I put a Kurz adaptor on my K to shorten it up even more.  It seems to fit with the YHM standard length flash hiders (and the shorter ones).  Are there any adverse effects of running the FH deeper into the can with the Kurz adaptor?  I was wondering if it would accelerate wear or not be as effective at noise reduction?

Thanks.
View Quote
Inconel blast baffle... it'll be just fine.  I'm running an even shorter plan B with full auto
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:30:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Both are taper mounts. The Phantom has the added security of a locking system.
View Quote

More of a liability and an annoyance than an added security IMO.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:03:29 AM EDT
[#43]
Finally ordered some SRX mounts.  Modern Warriors have these on sale right now as part of their 35% off sale.
View Quote
Thanks for the heads up. I'm a big fan of the SRX mounts.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:21:42 AM EDT
[#44]

View Quote
How? It's a lock ring, spring, and circlip. Not exactly a complex device.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:55:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By yamahawarrior89:
The legacy YHM mounting system has a bunch of threads that a lot of others don't carry. They have them for the M1A and M14x1LH for example that others don't offer. It's too bad they discontinued the 9/16x24LH for the FAL, had to use a Rugged mount for that.

They offer 2 choices for the SRX system, 1/2x28 and 5/8x24. Yes those are the most common, but anyone with a decent collection will find that severely lacking.

View Quote

The SRX system has a long way to go to get on par with Plan A/B.  I’d choose either of those before I went SRX.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:58:30 AM EDT
[#46]
View All Quotes

It’s certainly more complex than omitting those items altogether.

It adds weight and length for dubious gains.  Modern taper mount systems are about as foolproof as you can get.  I’ve got tens of thousands of rounds through cans with Plan A across dozens of hosts and I have not experienced one singular occurrence of a can backing off or loosening up.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:09:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By WUPHF:

The SRX system has a long way to go to get on par with Plan A/B.  I'd choose either of those before I went SRX.
View Quote
How do you figure? It is very similar.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:28:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By spyderboy03:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By spyderboy03:

The SRX system has a long way to go to get on par with Plan A/B.  I'd choose either of those before I went SRX.

In versatility.  As the post I quoted stated, SRX muzzle devices are only available in two thread patterns currently.  That severely limits what platforms it can be used on.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:28:24 PM EDT
[#49]

In versatility.  As the post I quoted stated, SRX muzzle devices are only available in two thread patterns currently.  That severely limits what platforms it can be used on.
View Quote
AH ok. Agreed there. I thought you were referring to the actual taper mount ability of the system. Reading the last sentence of the quoted post would have helped...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top