Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2023 5:42:55 PM EDT
I am thinking about buying another Wyze cam for use in a hotel room.  Will this work with hotel wifi or a hotspot to alert me if someone comes in my room?

Which Wyze camera would be the best for that application?

Overall, I am ok with it just recording all day and then I just look if something goes missing.

It doesn't have to be a Wyze, that just happens to be the ones I use inside my shack.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 5:49:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I tried wyze to monitor my dog in a hotel room and it didn't work. The hotel wifi had a splash screen login after connecting to the wifi and required connected devices to reconnect daily. There's no interface for a wyze camera to proceed through those gates.

Ended up leaving my phone on hotspot and used another phone to access the camera feed.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 5:53:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SpanishInquisition] [#2]
It'll work fine with a hot spot if you have one.  The newer pan and tilt is pretty decent
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 6:56:27 PM EDT
[#3]
T-Mobile T10 Mobile Hotspot (~$30 + connection card), for me, works fantastic. You might want to look at coverage maps for where you will be, there are others, AT&T has Moxee hardware
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 7:11:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Their outdoor cam has a travel mode which doesn't require an internet connection. You do need an internet connection for the initial set up, but don't need internet to use in travel mode.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 7:28:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a pan tilt. My god the thing is amazing. It will track a target and notify you immediately.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 4:28:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Wife's phone and Ipad both have hotspot, but these are the type things I don't want to leave in the room and worry about being stolen from the room.

The big concern is a room with no safe and going to the hotel pool.  I don't want my valuables at the pool getting stolen or wet.

I guess I could just cable my Pelican to something not easily removable.

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 4:29:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By samsilk:
Their outdoor cam has a travel mode which doesn't require an internet connection. You do need an internet connection for the initial set up, but don't need internet to use in travel mode.
View Quote
This interests me.  Does it eventually sync up with things somehow?
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 12:16:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: K1rodeoboater] [#8]
Travel router.  Login to WiFi with your computer, then spoof the routers MAC to match your computer. Now all your devices will connect to the router automatically once you save the SSID information.

Keep a SD card in the camera and you're good to go.  It'll record when without WiFi connected.

GLi.net MT1300 is $75 on Amazon right now. Decent little router.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top