Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2023 9:41:18 AM EDT
With all the happenings about the pistol brace and SBR issues that are currently happening, would you submit a eForm 1 for a rifle right now, our would you wait and see what happens next?

I don't think SBRs will be dropped from the NFA as some are (wishfully?) thinking, so other than heightened ATF workload, it seems now is as good a time as any.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:06:22 AM EDT
[#1]
The time is going to pass either way, don’t waste it not waiting on a stamp. I would (and did) go ahead and submit paid forms if you have guns to SBR/SBS/Etc.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:10:05 AM EDT
[#2]
No reason not to file now. If you wait to file you'll still end up waiting when you eventually get around to it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:19:05 AM EDT
[#3]
You wanna start your wait now or do you wanna start your wait later?
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:23:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Monkey_Wrench:
With all the happenings about the pistol brace and SBR issues that are currently happening, would you submit a eForm 1 for a rifle right now, our would you wait and see what happens next?

I don't think SBRs will be dropped from the NFA as some are (wishfully?) thinking, so other than heightened ATF workload, it seems now is as good a time as any.
View Quote

What issues? What do you think will happen next? What does the pistol brace amnesty crap have to do with you SBRing a rifle? Who is saying SBRs will be dropped from the NFA?
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:25:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I've been waiting since mid January for two paid Form 1s. Submit your paperwork.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:32:25 AM EDT
[#6]
With a Form 1 you have 3 years from date tax is paid to request a refund if item doesn’t get built. I know people sitting on rainy-day, unbuilt approved Form 1s from before the 2016 trust responsible person requirements change.

There's no reason other than money not to put in for a stamp as soon as you see a potential SBR build. I’ll even do a paper form while I wait for sales on barrel, muzzle device, trigger.  I like a real stamp and sometimes new info, alternatives, options, comes up before I have a firm decision and approval so the wait isn’t a driver.  SBR descriptions are easily updated on modular guns if necessary. For something like a bolt action or a pressed-in-barrel design is where decisiveness is more critical.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:01:45 AM EDT
[#7]
If you want a registered SBR, file the paperwork.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:12:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Wait now or wait later.  How soon do you want it is the question to ask yourself.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:14:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Diesel1979:
Wait now or wait later.  How soon do you want it is the question to ask yourself.
View Quote
This.

The best day to submit the form is always yesterday.  The second best day is today.

Why wait, to wait?
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 4:06:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 1:31:54 AM EDT
[#11]
I filed a paid form 1 on March 31 and it came back April 27. It was for a pcc I had always intended to form 1 SBR no matter what happens with the ruling. File it!
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 11:20:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Yesterday > Tomorrow
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 4:39:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Wait for what exactly? Just do it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 3:53:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I filed one recently. It took 22 days.

Send it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 4:00:34 PM EDT
[#15]
I filed for three of them 3 weeks ago, would you mind holding off filing till I get them back?
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 4:06:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Vague:
View Quote

This! ^^^

I submitted mine nearly a month ago. The way I looked at it, after the TX injunction didn't happen, I will register my braced Rattler as an SBR and make it a real SBR. Fuck them. Two can play at this game!
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 4:18:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By coldair:
I filed for three of them 3 weeks ago, would you mind holding off filing till I get them back?
View Quote

LMBFBAO!
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 6:58:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By D_Man:
This.

The best day to submit the form is always yesterday.  The second best day is today.

Why wait, to wait?
View Quote

^ Exactly.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 11:18:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Either you want it or you don't. Government is not going to magically become efficient if you wait.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 11:22:44 AM EDT
[#20]
17 days total.
11 business on my end.

Link Posted: 5/21/2023 3:59:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Filed three paid form 1’s this weekend, prints go out tomorrow.

Just do it!
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 4:45:35 PM EDT
[#22]
you mean people dont have a form 1 or form 4 sitting out there all the time? I thought the rule was one gets done another goes in..go head and do it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 8:36:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By rmdye:
you mean people dont have a form 1 or form 4 sitting out there all the time? I thought the rule was one gets done another goes in..go head and do it.
View Quote

My motto here... do it
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 4:03:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Form 1 filed 4/17 returned "Approved" 5/24. About 37 days, they're processing them.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 4:17:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eracer] [#25]
I filed one today for my Trust.
Waited until the last minute for no good reason.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 6:19:06 PM EDT
[#26]
@eracer

What kind of documentation is the ATF looking for to show my trust owned the weapon I'm wishing to SBR by the time the rule was announced? The trust only has two responsible parties my brother and myself.

Link Posted: 5/30/2023 6:52:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 6:07:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By txtj79:
@eracer

What kind of documentation is the ATF looking for to show my trust owned the weapon I'm wishing to SBR by the time the rule was announced? The trust only has two responsible parties my brother and myself.
View Quote

I gave them a copy of the trust, and they want proof that the braced pistol was transferred to trust prior to the date the final rule was enacted.  I gave them a copy of the Form A dated January 18 (signed and witnessed.)

Here's a better explanation: https://www.guntrustlawyer.com/atf-final-rule-on-stabilizing-braces-and-your-gun-trust/#:~:text=Answer%3A%20In%20short%2C%20a%20trust,is%20published%20in%20the%20Federal

The new trust Rule 41F has a lot of its own requirements for responsible parties.  I'm probably going to be denied, because I only documented myself (face photo, ID) and the rule wants docs for all responsible parties.  Probably should have just done the application as an individual.  Oh well...

https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/final-rule-41f-background-checks-responsible-persons-effective-july-13

Fingerprints (paper or EFT) need to be submitted within 10 days of E-filing the Form 1.  See Chapter 3.  https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/docs/undefined/eformone-externalguidancewithqapdf/download

I tried to submit the EFT file with the Form 1 E-file, but it wouldn't let me.
As usual, this whole thing is a clusterf**k
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 7:59:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Glocked] [#29]
Originally Posted By eracer:

I gave them a copy of the trust, and they want proof that the braced pistol was transferred to trust prior to the date the final rule was enacted.  I gave them a copy of the Form A dated January 18 (signed and witnessed.)

Here's a better explanation: https://www.guntrustlawyer.com/atf-final-rule-on-stabilizing-braces-and-your-gun-trust/#:~:text=Answer%3A%20In%20short%2C%20a%20trust,is%20published%20in%20the%20Federal

The new trust Rule 41F has a lot of its own requirements for responsible parties.  I'm probably going to be denied, because I only documented myself (face photo, ID) and the rule wants docs for all responsible parties.  Probably should have just done the application as an individual.  Oh well...

https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/final-rule-41f-background-checks-responsible-persons-effective-july-13

Fingerprints (paper or EFT) need to be submitted within 10 days of E-filing the Form 1.  See Chapter 3.  https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/docs/undefined/eformone-externalguidancewithqapdf/download

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By eracer:
Originally Posted By txtj79:
@eracer

Remove all RPs. Submit with just you. Add your RPs back. Rinse/repeat as needed for future purchases.

The eft has to be uploaded and verified while doing the Eform, not after the fact. Were you getting error messages? Paper cards can be mailed after the fact.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 5:41:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmtsc] [#30]
I’ve received 2 from 1 rifle to sbr paperwork back. 1 was 42 days and the other I got today at 50 days. Arsenal SLR-105 and Scar 16.

Link Posted: 7/10/2023 6:47:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
If you want a registered SBR, file the paperwork.
View Quote

Just do it.

It is a hit and miss when any paperwork is released from ATFE.

You may be lucky or wait a while.

I am waiting for my can. So, it is not like I am going anywhere.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 7:22:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Send in forms, no reason to wait.

Sent in two form 1’s on 6/19 and I’m impatiently waiting.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 7:48:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Vague:
View Quote

I would prefer to wait to start my waiting so my wait isnt as long.  
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 7:52:28 PM EDT
[#34]
FWIW I filed a FreeBR two days after the initial post and got my stamp back almost 2 weeks ago now...
Link Posted: 7/12/2023 9:56:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Whiskeyballzzz] [#35]
Originally Posted By wardamncajun:
I filed one recently. It took 22 days.

Send it.
View Quote

Must be nice, I get rejected at 107 days because my facial photo wasn't zoomed in enough. Day 57 today for my round 2.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 9:44:03 PM EDT
[#36]
When was the last time the government rescinded a tax? I’m surprised they haven’t amended the Act to adjust for inflation. $200 in 1934 is $4,622.86 today.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 11:46:33 PM EDT
[#37]
I did June 28th, and will keep submitting
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 6:46:07 AM EDT
[#38]
got 2 more going right now. along with 5 cans. once your in the game, keep playing.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 7:26:37 AM EDT
[#39]
I just did several form 1's and all were approved in about a month!! Way faster than I'm used to. I say go for it man.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top