Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2018 7:15:08 PM EDT
Irresponsible? My wife says so :)

He'd love it though!!

Anyway, would something quality, and 'battle ready' since he already has a few wallhangers.

Recommendations? Under $200 please.

Currently eyeballing the Cold Steel 1917 cutlass...He is left handed like his dad.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 7:20:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have any specific recommendations but I will note that in some Eskimo tribes, children are trusted with razor sharp blades from pretty much the day they learn how to walk.  When it comes time to cut up the whale, every hand and every blade that can be thrown at the task makes it easier.

You don't hear of those kids cutting their own hands off very often.   Early exposure means early learning means early competence means early safety.

Nobody ever cuts himself with a razor blade more than a couple of times.  Each time it reinforces the "I'd better not do that again!" lesson.  After only a couple of minor incidents you're now going to be safe with a sharp object, probably for life.

So, yes, I believe that it's OK to give an intelligent and reasonable child a sharp object.   He'll figure it out.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 7:29:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Cold Steel, MRL and Hanwei are in your range.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 7:32:01 PM EDT
[#3]
In before "It's tape" video???
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 7:36:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In before "It's tape" video???
View Quote
Lol i thought of that too!!
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:26:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's  a hatchet son , don't chop anything !
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:44:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Can't hear the word sword and not think of that guys nose dangling off his face

That said, I want a sword. And you'd be cooler than my dad ever was.

Edit. That Cold Steel Cutlass is pure sex. Do it, OP.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 12:25:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Cold Steel Gladius
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:36:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Cautionary Tales Of Swords #1
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 3:38:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Does he want a pirate sword or a knight sword?

I think Cold Steel is the way to go for a cheap sword. They offer a LH version of the cutlass.

I have their hand-and-a-half sword and like it. It's my only sword, but I got the plastic trainer version of it first and then ordered the real one.
They offer plastic trainers for several of their swords, but not the 1917 cutlass.
They have this fencing training saber, but it's steel and of a different design: https://www.coldsteel.com/products/training-knives/training-saber-1321.html
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 12:21:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:01:02 PM EDT
[#11]
No stainless steel swords !

If you google "Home Shopping Network Sword Accident" you will get to see O Dell's partner get his come upings for selling shity swords .
I dont know how to make it hot .
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:11:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, definitely get carbon steel.
I forgot to mention that.

I don't know much about swords, but I know that much.

Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:44:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No stainless steel swords !

If you google "Home Shopping Network Sword Accident" you will get to see O Dell's partner get his come upings for selling shity swords .
I dont know how to make it hot .
View Quote
Outside of certain customs, I agree.  I have an older Black Cloud Knives "Szabo Bush Sword" that's actually in ATS34 and it has taken a beating without any chips or issues.  Do consider a 15 year old kid is going to beat on a sword pretty hard and higher carbon steels are far more forgiving.

ROCK6
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top