Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2018 7:59:31 PM EDT
Friend bought a rifle. Asking if we could buy a reloading setup that won’t break the bank. Seems like a round we won’t shoot enough to make eqp cost worth it. Those presses are horribly expensive.

Anyone have to make this decision?
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 8:29:53 PM EDT
[#1]
you are looking at >$500 and that if you reload already and if you get just what it takes to produce unacceptable round.  You can get the cases sized to spec but priming the cases properly is more difficult on the cheaper equipment.  Buying a precision priming device is essential imo.  Unless you buy high end components the cost of loading isn't too crazy.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 8:54:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I know nothing about loading 50 BMG, but Isnt the Lee kit around $250? Press, dies, priming system.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 9:07:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know nothing about loading 50 BMG, but Isnt the Lee kit around $250? Press, dies, priming system.
View Quote
Yes and it’s one of the best single stage presses on the market. It’s a little awkward on bmg but I’d call bs on anybody that states they can produce significantly better ammo with a rcbs or Hornady setup.

The priming on the lee is similar to my rcbs bench primer.

Quality brass, bullets, powder, and your barrel are much more important.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 10:03:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Get a Lee press. When I had my 50BMG, it was the least expensive and worked great. You will want to take your time reloading this. Remember, it about a 1/4 stick of dynamite close to your face in that case. No room for error.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 11:47:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 4:50:37 AM EDT
[#6]
It isn't as cheap as it used to be, but the Lee makes it a cheap solution.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 9:15:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 10:40:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks everyone. I will look closer at the Lee. Seems like it’s a good start. If ammo isn’t any better than store bought, it won’t be a huge loss.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 8:19:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top