Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2022 12:21:49 PM EDT
I would consider myself a fairly experienced reloader, but thus far I have only used canister grade powder with plenty of published data.

I bought a jug of this from American Reloading

Attachment Attached File

This is the only data that I have for it, and I want to load PC'd 125gr lead TC with this powder.

A cursory study shows that 4.5 grains is about the max published load for Titegroup.

Would it be safe to then use Titegroup data for lead 125gr and maybe drop the start loads another 10% before working up?

Does this make sense?

Is there a better way to approach a powder with limited data?
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 12:29:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 1:05:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can tell you what I would do.

I would begin at 4.0 grs-10%.

So 3.6 grs is where I would start.

No I don't have any science behind my answer, more of a gut feeling, and just saying what I would do.

Proceed at your own risk and good luck.
View Quote

I appreciate your input, thanks!
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 1:13:58 PM EDT
[#3]
A lead 125 will not be far off from a jacketed 115, but I agree with above.  

3.6 should be a safe place to start.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 1:46:28 PM EDT
[#4]
that pressure with load is at the upper limit of 9MM.
the reduce 10 percent and work up is very good advice
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 12:59:54 AM EDT
[#5]
When we buy surplus demil powder, we have to expect to do the work associated with mapping the pressure/velocity to make sure we stay away from over-pressure.

Why not start out with a charge ladder with 115 FMJ just like on the label to get a feel for this stuff, and then try it on different bullet weights and materials?

Then, when you play with heavier bullets or jacketed bullets, you don't get any surprises.

See if your rig and barrel match the label to begin with, then you have a better feel for where this stuff ranks.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 1:25:28 AM EDT
[#6]
It's your gun/hand/eyes if it goes wrong so don't blame any of us if it gets bad.   But based on the known info, I'd concur, 3.6 is probably not likely to kill you.

Ideally you use QuickLoad to find another powder that produces the same velocity at the same charge weight with all the know data (eg the 115 grain load).   That does NOT mean you can substitute that powders load data, it just gives you something to guess with when you substitute your bullet/load data and find somewhere around say 28kpsi estimate to start with.  

Next, read this write up first, pay attention to using primers for pressure guessing. http://www.natoreloading.com/9mmmajor/ (you are not trying to load to 9mm major, I just mean look at how he looks at pressure signs)

The other fairly reasonable gauge of pressure is velocity.   Use a chronograph and stop a bit short of where the 115 load data says.

If I was doing what you are planning, I'd do all three of the above.

Or the total redneck method (I am not recommending this), load to 3.6 blindly, wear welding gloves, a thick jacket, and a face shield for the first shot, and if somehow 3.6 isn't enough to lock back the slide on an empty mag, work up .1 grain at a time till it is.   If it's already enough to lock back the slide and the brass and primers look OK, stop there.

YMMV good luck
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 2:15:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 8:49:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Here is what I did when i bought 12 lbs of MP190 from American reloading:

-get the burn rate #/equivalent from AR.
-looked up load data for the burn rate number(s) I was given. Located the data that had the lowest charge weight for the MAX charge.
-used that charge weight with a case that I knew wasn't heavy and a standard primer.

Once I confirmed that particular load didn't have any pressure issues, I increased it by 0.2, 0.4, and 0.6 grains. I experienced pressure signs with the +0.4 and +0.6 grains.

Of course my LGS now has different types of pistol powder from AR and zero MP190, so ill have to start this same process over again when I blow through this powder.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 12:23:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks to everyone for their input!
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 1:36:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 1:46:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Would really like to hear your test results.
View Quote

I'll be sure to post them, but it will be a while unfortunately.

I dont get to the range very often since my kids are so little still.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 4:53:58 PM EDT
[#12]
All reloading data exists within a fairly narrow range because.....physics. Lots of equivalency and overlap.

In this case I would find a couple similar 115gr loads with a more well known powder that gives a very similar velocity for the same bullet weight and bullet construction as the given data. Then look at those options using the 125 gr bullet you want to use.

Use that aggregate powder data to estimate loads up and down a conservative safe range. Like any other load, start low-middle and work up in safe increments.

Also, using the rule that powder decreases as bullet weight increases to keep the same pressure, my gut also says start around 3.6 and work up.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 10:13:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Personally, I would just use the data on the label with the slightly heavier bullet, and begin at 4.0 gr.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top