Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2021 8:46:20 PM EDT
Today was a big day. I finally was able to score a SP5. Got it home and tried slapping on the Wolfman can I had gotten for it (the Wolfman cleared the form 4 faster than I found a SP5) and the damn thing won’t fit.

It presses down but seemingly not enough for me to rotate it and lock it on. I also have a CMMG Banshee and the trilug works just fine there.

Anyone ever run in to this?  Wanted to go play suppressed but not in the plans apparently today.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 8:58:51 PM EDT
[#1]
@Mageever

How recently did you buy the tri lug adapter? Dead Air recently switched manufacturers and some of the new Keymo adapters were having a problem with older mounts. Mageever works at Dead Air he'll be along and take care of you
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:22:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Today was a big day. I finally was able to score a SP5. Got it home and tried slapping on the Wolfman can I had gotten for it (the Wolfman cleared the form 4 faster than I found a SP5) and the damn thing won't fit.

It presses down but seemingly not enough for me to rotate it and lock it on. I also have a CMMG Banshee and the trilug works just fine there.

Anyone ever run in to this?  Wanted to go play suppressed but not in the plans apparently today.
View Quote
What tri-lug mount are you using on your Wolfman? You might just have to try another brands adapter.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:03:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@Mageever

How recently did you buy the tri lug adapter? Dead Air recently switched manufacturers and some of the new Keymo adapters were having a problem with older mounts. Mageever works at Dead Air he'll be along and take care of you
View Quote

Got the adapter this summer. It was listed as the “new version” from the retailer, so I should be gtg from that perspective.

Appreciate you tagging Todd. Hopefully they can get this squared away. Brand new cannon a brand new gun. Would hope it would work out. ??
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:43:17 PM EDT
[#4]
No problem on my SP5 or SP5K-PDW.  I have both the first iteration of the DA steel adapter (DA445) and the latest DA444 9mm only adapter, and both go on easy.  Got newer of the two in August 2020, but don’t know if they changed manufacturers after that.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:48:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Will it fit without the thread protector?  If so file the knurling down all the way around just a little until it fits.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:57:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Try taking out the cocking tube plug at the end.

My experience is that some cans require a bit of 'over travel' to clear the lugs before settling into place.  The distance between the rear of the lugs and the cocking tube plug varies a little sometimes, especially in some clones.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 1:48:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Really appreciate the help trying to figure this out. So frustrating.

I had previously tried without the thread protector, unfortunately, no luck.

I just tried without the tube cap too. No dice either.

Here are a few pics. It seems like the can bottoms out before hitting the piece behind, but it refuses to turn.

Sitting on lugs:

Pressed down, bottomed out:

Trilug shots

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 2:53:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Forgot to mention I bought my DA tri lug adapter from Capitol Armory a few months ago, I think before the new batch, and my adapter went on just fine in all 3 positions
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:39:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Just out of curiousness have you removed the spring or tried just the end part
of the 3 lug to see if would rotate around the 3 lugs without all the rest of the mount hardware?
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:05:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I seem to remember now that there was something about some them having an internal assembly issue.  I think it was probably in the big Wolfman thread in the Silencer sub forum.  I’ll have to look.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:08:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Got the adapter this summer. It was listed as the “new version” from the retailer, so I should be gtg from that perspective.

Appreciate you tagging Todd. Hopefully they can get this squared away. Brand new cannon a brand new gun. Would hope it would work out. ??
View Quote

@Atlmike
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:30:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Here it is.

It starts on this page.  The fix is about 2/3 of the way down in 6/16/20 1:44:10 pm post.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Dead-Air-Wolfman/20-499440/?page=28

Just a quick update.  I have two from the batch that just went out and we found that it's the spring that is catching inside and stopping the piston travel.  These are off-the-shelf and it appears there's some variation in the how tight they are and also how "round" they are.  The one that didn't work could be turned on and off if the spring was flipped around.  It's like it caught on the shoulder on the spring and it created a dead-sharp edge that would catch and stop the travel.  Nothing changed in our design so this will hopefully just be a spring change or something that the user can quickly fix.  

Again, this is what I know right now as I'm sharing the root cause investigation with you.  For anyone that is running into this please try the following:

1. Remove the spring retainer on the end and take the piston out.  Ensure the spring is sitting all the way on. If you twist the spring clockwise it will expand it and allow it to sit in the groove on the piston. Reassemble and test.
2. If that doesn't work, remove the spring by twisting it and flip it around.  Reassemble and test again.

This seems to jive with what IceAuger found when he changed out that spring.  That was a super helpful observation!

I'll let you guys know more as I'm at the machine shop today that is making these.  

Todd Magee
Dead Air Engineering
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 5:06:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Willi3d - Thank you so much for scouting the thread for that. Just spun the piston off and did as Todd described. Unfortunately no impact on fit. Damn it.

Going to wait a day or so to see if Todd pops in here then I’ll shoot DA an email.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:58:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Ok so to be clear, if the tri lug dapter by itself will go on and off my SP5 without a problem, I'm good right? Cause I don't have the can to test it with. I can take everything down to my FFL to test if need be
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:34:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ok so to be clear, if the tri lug dapter by itself will go on and off my SP5 without a problem, I'm good right? Cause I don't have the can to test it with. I can take everything down to my FFL to test if need be
View Quote

Yep. It’s all contained in that unit. The spring is captured inside that assembly.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:18:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top