Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2018 7:45:14 PM EDT
I have a value question.  A buddy wants to buy my Winchester Trapper and I want to be fair with him. It's a like new 98% plus condition 94AE Trapper in 30-30. It's been fired 20 rounds since new. I'm into pistols and bolt action rifles so I never kept up value wise on the only lever I own. I don't have the box and paperwork anymore. I had the box but one day when I was working my wife decided to surprise my by uncluttering my reloading room. She burned all my gun boxes.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 8:11:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Does it have the safety on the side of the receiver or is it one of the early AE models without a safety?
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 8:39:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw one in good but not excellent shape locally for 600.  It had a Lyman receiver sight on it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 8:43:22 PM EDT
[#3]
It has the safety.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 4:52:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I recently picked up a very nice 94 Trapper (pre-safety, 1981 Mfr) for $400.  I thought that was a good price. It had a replacement rear sight which I will correct very soon.  I'd say $400 -$500 for a trapper.

The AE models  have solid steel (non cast) receiver, but the safety adds a detractor on price.

I am a fan of the Trappers - the short light handling is superb.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 5:32:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Up here in CT every other guy had a uncle ,father or Grandfather who used to work for winchester.

Prices of the older guns are crazy and even the safety models start about $500 if they are in good shape . 98% or extra nice wood could drive that higher.

There are always deals with private sales to be found as there are still lots of them around but dealers are all priced at what seems pretty high to me.
I would they get those prices
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 1:40:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Could you guys tell me the value of a Tang Safety Model Trapper with the Large Loop in 44Mag? Excellent condition.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 2:13:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Paid a cool grand for my Trapper 44 (AE, safety), but it was new from a dealer out of someone's collection. My thought was that the Jap guns are more than that new... I think the OP's rifle is probably worth $750-850.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 2:42:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It has the safety.
View Quote

The question really is tang safety or cross bolt.  The crossbolt is an ugly bitch and I wouldn't touch a gun with one. 

$350-400 if perfect.  I have purchased several 94s recently and that is the going rate.  I bought a pre-64 for $500, so yours would probably not get anywhere close to that.  I also bought an unfired 94AE with light blonde wood for $350.

Oddly enough, most Winchesters were hunting guns and had a box or less through them.  When I get them, I shoot the hell out of them.  I reload .30-.30.  More feeble persons cannot tolerate much of this cartridge with the solid butt plate.  I can shoot a bunch of it, but that one day I shot it from the bench a few times, I didn't like it so much.

Just to show I am not a racist:

Link Posted: 9/19/2018 2:44:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Could you guys tell me the value of a Tang Safety Model Trapper with the Large Loop in 44Mag? Excellent condition.
View Quote

The 94 action doesn't play well with pistol cartridges.  Again, $350-400 if it runs.  Worthless if it doesn't.  You should shop for a Model 92.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 3:04:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Other than looks, I didn't mind the cross bolt safety, I did eventually take it out and machined and blued a couple of plugs for the holes, but it is a good shooter.

I still hate the politics of guns that they have to do this type of shit to an American classic gun!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top