Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2020 9:22:52 PM EDT
This is great-grandfather's 1873 Winchester, and I have looked carefully all over it for the serial number.  Am I getting dense(r), or is it on the tang, under this peep sight?

Any information on rifle or this sight would be appreciated.  I assume the sight is after-market, but don't really know.

Link Posted: 3/1/2020 9:36:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Usually on most Winchesters the serial is on the bottom of the reciever where the magazine enters the front of the reciever.
That sight is a Lyman and is somewhat of a collectors item in it's own right.
If you do decide to remove it, get a properly shaped screwdriver to fit the screws.
Beautiful old Winchester by the way!
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 10:32:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you mean in this area?

Link Posted: 3/1/2020 11:47:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Lower tang
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 11:48:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Serial number on all 1873's is on the lower tang between the finger lever latch and the rear stock screw.

The lower tang is removable.

Some rifles don't have serial numbers.

Some factory installed set triggers didn't work very well, if the gun was sent back for repair, they swapped in a regular trigger and lower tang without a serial number.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 10:47:12 AM EDT
[#5]
That is one hell of a nice heirloom!
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 8:51:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Lower tang on older Winchester levers. I have found the early rifles had the serial fairly lightly engraved and its not common for them to be worn enough to be unreadable. Later, post 1899 were stamped more deeply.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 10:47:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lower tang on older Winchester levers. I have found the early rifles had the serial fairly lightly engraved and its not common for them to be worn enough to be unreadable. Later, post 1899 were stamped more deeply.
View Quote

Yep...they can be hard to see.

My great great grandfather’s 44-40 ‘73 made around 1880 from what I have seen.

Bore still looks pretty good (better than the pic)

Link Posted: 6/10/2020 1:18:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This is great-grandfather's 1873 Winchester, and I have looked carefully all over it for the serial number.  Am I getting dense(r), or is it on the tang, under this peep sight?

Any information on rifle or this sight would be appreciated.  I assume the sight is after-market, but don't really know.

https://i.imgur.com/N4Hf8hbh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/eQ4mxw0h.jpg
View Quote

That rifle is awesome!!
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 1:46:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Gorgeous. If you haven't you might want to request a Winchester Factory Letter. It will tell you when the rifle left the factory and where it was shipped.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top