Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/25/2018 9:47:07 AM EDT
A little background: I'm the typical gun guy, not one of the millionaires of GD.  I have a good job, have student debt, and live within my means.  According to non-gun folks I spend way to much money on guns, but to me I feel like $400-500 every 3-4 months isn't crazy.  I scrimp and save in other areas in order to afford this.  I drive an older car with a lower payment, live in a small rental house, have an older, smaller TV etc.

Because of my budget restrictions, I tend to be careful about my purchases and tend to try and justify them to myself.  Two years ago my money was spent prepping for a Democrat inspired election panic.  This year I find myself in the "salad days" trying to stock up on ammunition and various components and accessories for what I already have.  There are a lot of guns/tools/accessories that I want/need from a trust and a few suppressors/sbr stamps to a new reloading bench and progressive press.  Also, because of my lack of a huge disposable income there are a bunch of guns I have wanted for years, but they have always cost too much and don't really give me a significantly improved tool in the toolbox compared to what I already have.  A couple guns that I have always wanted are a Tavor, M1a, Sub 2000, Winchester 1873 etc.

Anyway, I just got a new job that will give me a bit of a bump in income.  I think I want to buy one of my "just because" guns to celebrate.  I have been looking at the PS90.  I always wanted one (grew up on SG1), but I avoided them based on cost, cost of ammo, and the fact that I have other tools that do the same job either better (AR pistol) or cheaper (scorpion).  So this would really be a "just because" gun.  I would probably keep a thousand or so rounds on hand (no deep stacking) because it would be my first purely "fun" gun.  I would want to get a ring sight for it and eventually SBR the thing.

So, PS90 owners or operators: will I regret buying this gun?  Should I spend my limited funds on a different fun gun?

TL;DR:. I have limited funds, and want a "Grail" fun gun.  Will I regret spending money on a PS90 that could have gone to something else?  Or is it $1300 well spent?

ETA: Maybe a better question is "would you buy your PS90 again"?
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 10:07:14 AM EDT
[#1]
The PS90 shines as a SBR.  but, in good conscious, it's not that impressive.  The rounds are expensive, the factory optic is mediocre, the safety and trigger are odd.  While I like mine and it fits my collection nicely, it's far from the holy grail gun.

In the FA P90, I found it's rate of fire to higher than I liked and the accuracy to be average.

The 50 round magazine is nice, and the SBR or FA models conceals nicely.

If your ever in N/W Ohio, drop me a line and arrange for you to shoot the FA variant and you can decide for yourself.

18Z50.....Putting the suck in SFAS since 1993
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 10:24:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I have had a second gen for years now. It's ok. I rarely shoot it. My kids liked it growing up
Personally I think it would be a waste.
Do you have any Pistols? get a nice Dan Wesson like a Silverback, Pointman etc....
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 10:39:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Well you bought a sub 2000 so you really cant top that for a waste.

Nothing at all that you can buy will compare to the 90.  Its really in a class of its own. People that say its a waste or complaining about it are comparing to completely different beasts.  You cant compare it to 556 rifles/sbrs & you really cant compare it to pistol caliber carbines/smgs.

Its small... sooo tiny. Completely ambidextrous. Zero recoil. Decent range. 50 rounds that doesnt stick out like a 3rd arm.  Eye candy like nothing else & instantly recognizable.  And ammo is cheap now.  I will never sell mine.  Going thru the bans it is a firearm Id thought I would never have a chance to own.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 10:39:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a Gen 2 PS90 and I really like it.  However, I also built a Gen 2 AR57 Pistol with a retractable SB PDW brace that takes the same PS90 magazines with an AR-15 lower and it is badass.  It is less expensive than the PS90, takes an AR-15 lower, uses the same magazines, and no plastic parts on the internals like the PS90 has.

I do love my PS90, but I prefer the AR57 more now that braces are plentiful for pistols.   The trigger on ARs is much better, as bullpups typically have heavier and mushy triggers.

Some pluses though for the PS90:

1.  The gun, with a press of a button, comes apart in two halves for easy storage in a backpack or pelican case.  Very compact.

2.  It is very light, well balanced, and fun to shoot

3.  If you put a small red dot on it like a Fast Fire III or RMR, it is fantastic.

Go compare the AR-57 Gen II pistol upper and put it on an AR pistol lower with a brace.   It should cost you less than $1000 since lowers are so cheap now.   The AR-57 ejects shell casings out the AR-15 magazine well.  If you don't want your casings dropping down out of the gun, some people hollow out an old PMAG and let the shell casings drop inside there.   That is why you see a magazine in the picture below.

Link Posted: 1/25/2018 12:03:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have had a second gen for years now. It's ok. I rarely shoot it. My kids liked it growing up
Personally I think it would be a waste.
Do you have any Pistols? get a nice Dan Wesson like a Silverback, Pointman etc....
View Quote
Plenty of pistols.  Nothing out there right now particularly tickles my fancy.  Maybe a CZ someday...
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 12:03:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Love my gen 3 PS90 SBR. I used a mount that replaces factory sight block with a Mini 1.5 acog. Shoots like a dream and is outstanding with CQB. Stocked up on ammo awhile back when it was cheaper.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 12:07:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The PS90 shines as a SBR.  but, in good conscious, it's not that impressive.  The rounds are expensive, the factory optic is mediocre, the safety and trigger are odd.  While I like mine and it fits my collection nicely, it's far from the holy grail gun.

In the FA P90, I found it's rate of fire to higher than I liked and the accuracy to be average.

The 50 round magazine is nice, and the SBR or FA models conceals nicely.

If your ever in N/W Ohio, drop me a line and arrange for you to shoot the FA variant and you can decide for yourself.

18Z50.....Putting the suck in SFAS since 1993
View Quote
This is the potential regret I hope to avoid!  It looks so darn cool, but I want to love the gun and not think it was a waste of money that could have bought a Tavor or something else more practical.  Thanks for the offer.  I'm in southeastern PA so I don't know when I would be in the area, but I'll keep it in mind.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 12:10:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well you bought a sub 2000 so you really cant top that for a waste.

Nothing at all that you can buy will compare to the 90.  Its really in a class of its own. People that say its a waste or complaining about it are comparing to completely different beasts.  You cant compare it to 556 rifles/sbrs & you really cant compare it to pistol caliber carbines/smgs.

Its small... sooo tiny. Completely ambidextrous. Zero recoil. Decent range. 50 rounds that doesnt stick out like a 3rd arm.  Eye candy like nothing else & instantly recognizable.  And ammo is cheap now.  I will never sell mine.  Going thru the bans it is a firearm Id thought I would never have a chance to own.
View Quote
Never bought a sub.  Always wanted one, but couldn't justify the prices they were initially going for.  Now I have a different gun that fills the niche better.  Still want one, but no longer have the "need".

Thanks for your feedback on the PS90.  I want one, I just don't want to regret the purchase.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 12:21:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have a Gen 2 PS90 and I really like it.  However, I also built a Gen 2 AR57 Pistol with a retractable SB PDW brace that takes the same PS90 magazines with an AR-15 lower and it is badass.  It is less expensive than the PS90, takes an AR-15 lower, uses the same magazines, and no plastic parts on the internals like the PS90 has.

I do love my PS90, but I prefer the AR57 more now that braces are plentiful for pistols.   The trigger on ARs is much better, as bullpups typically have heavier and mushy triggers.

Some pluses though for the PS90:

1.  The gun, with a press of a button, comes apart in two halves for easy storage in a backpack or pelican case.  Very compact.

2.  It is very light, well balanced, and fun to shoot

3.  If you put a small red dot on it like a Fast Fire III or RMR, it is fantastic.

Go compare the AR-57 Gen II pistol upper and put it on an AR pistol lower with a brace.   It should cost you less than $1000 since lowers are so cheap now.   The AR-57 ejects shell casings out the AR-15 magazine well.  If you don't want your casings dropping down out of the gun, some people hollow out an old PMAG and let the shell casings drop inside there.   That is why you see a magazine in the picture below.

http://i.imgur.com/CxeZpPA.jpg
View Quote
Thanks for the thoughts and the pictures.  I think I need more pictures in here!

I'm not a big fan of the 5.7 round so I'm more interested in the gun itself than something else that shoots the same round.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 2:25:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Not to throw you off the 90, but if you are in SE PA Tanners over by Doylestown had a small number of x95s come in at 1400 or so.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 2:33:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I used to live about 15 minutes from Tanner's.  It is a fantastic gun store.  A Tavor for $1400 is a steal.

Quoted:
Not to throw you off the 90, but if you are in SE PA Tanners over by Doylestown had a small number of x95s come in at 1400 or so.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 2:35:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a suppressed SBR'ed PS90 that shoots the lights out, I love that little machine.  It is not the end-all-be-all of guns but it is unbelievably compact and flat-shooting firepower w/ essentially no recoil.  The ammunition isn't as expensive as it used to be either, I would not want to be without mine.  Mine sits as my ready rifle for home defense.  A couple months ago I had just gotten home and both my wife and I heard a really odd noise right after our dog started barking toward the front of the house.  I had my Bodyguard 380 on me but I grabbed the PS90 and my NV gear that was just about to be put back in the safe (good timing), and cleared the whole house inside and out.  You can easily maneuver a suppressed PS90 w/ one hand, using the other to open doors or do other things.  An AR would've been more difficult.  The obscene advantage one has w/ a suppressed PS90, 50 rounds of SS198, Holosun circle dot, Surefire X300V, micro IR laser, and night vision is truly something to behold.  It turned out to be nothing, but it would've taken one hell of a determined plate carrier wearing foe(s) to win that night.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 2:37:34 PM EDT
[#13]
love both of mine
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 2:45:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I used to live about 15 minutes from Tanner's.  It is a fantastic gun store.  A Tavor for $1400 is a steal.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
I bought my PS90 as well as a number of other guns at Tanners.  Small world.  Would’ve gladly let you try it out at Wicens or somewhere if I was still in that area
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 2:50:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Save a few hundred more and SBR it for ten times the fun. It’s an alright fun carbine, but I could think of a lot of way better ways to spend 1k+. As an SBR it’s one of the coolest guns you can have.

Get your stamp, hacksaw the barrel, push it out with a dowel, send barrel out for proper cut/crown, push dowel out with barrel, screw on muzzle device. Too easy.

Life is too short to have to justify the practicality of guns. Buying something because you enjoy it is fine. Not everything has to be done in preparation for imagined TEOTWAWKI Communist hordes. Besides, the P90 is one of the few guns made explicitly for defeating communist hordes anyway.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 2:57:11 PM EDT
[#16]
While it may have been uneducated stupidity on my part, I bought a stripped receiver (funds were tight) figured I'd get the stamp and build it up while waiting for the stamp/funds permitting.
Every part was available at a decently reasonable price (when u consider the total cost of a complete gun + barrel swap or cut/thread) EXCEPT the trigger pack.
Had one on order directly from FN for over a year. Finally said fuck it and sold it and parted it out and got my $200 stamp back. Took a $100 hit overall selling it, probably could have washed if I was more patient. Left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. What if I had an actual part break and bought a complete gun? How long would I be SOL?
Funny thing is about 3 weeks after I finished the part out, FN mailed me a pack. Well a FS2000 pack and then a ps90 one. Never charged my card either because I had fraud on that card 6 months before and forgot about the pack order. FN didn't even ask for the fs2k pack back when I called to tell them they a) didn't charge me and b) sent the wrong pack. Sold both for like $600 and bought a g43

I have always considered getting another. I have shot one before, FA and SA. It was fun. Ammo is reasonably priced now. Stamp times are a killjoy. But if you've got the $... why not.
There are much much worse things to blow your $ on
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 3:47:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have a suppressed SBR'ed PS90 that shoots the lights out, I love that little machine.  It is not the end-all-be-all of guns but it is unbelievably compact and flat-shooting firepower w/ essentially no recoil.  The ammunition isn't as expensive as it used to be either, I would not want to be without mine.  Mine sits as my ready rifle for home defense.  A couple months ago I had just gotten home and both my wife and I heard a really odd noise right after our dog started barking toward the front of the house.  I had my Bodyguard 380 on me but I grabbed the PS90 and my NV gear that was just about to be put back in the safe (good timing), and cleared the whole house inside and out.  You can easily maneuver a suppressed PS90 w/ one hand, using the other to open doors or do other things.  An AR would've been more difficult.  The obscene advantage one has w/ a suppressed PS90, 50 rounds of SS198, Holosun circle dot, Surefire X300V, micro IR laser, and night vision is truly something to behold.  It turned out to be nothing, but it would've taken one hell of a determined plate carrier wearing foe(s) to win that night.
View Quote
And the winner of the most ar15.com post of the day goes to....
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 4:09:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Save a few hundred more and SBR it for ten times the fun. It’s an alright fun carbine, but I could think of a lot of way better ways to spend 1k+. As an SBR it’s one of the coolest guns you can have.

Get your stamp, hacksaw the barrel, push it out with a dowel, send barrel out for proper cut/crown, push dowel out with barrel, screw on muzzle device. Too easy.

Life is too short to have to justify the practicality of guns. Buying something because you enjoy it is fine. Not everything has to be done in preparation for imagined TEOTWAWKI Communist hordes. Besides, the P90 is one of the few guns made explicitly for defeating communist hordes anyway.
View Quote
^^This.  Don't over think itl.  If it is something you have wanted for a while and you have the funds, go for it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 9:26:13 PM EDT
[#19]
I like mine. Their triggers are very similar to an AUG's. I happen to like the triggers on both guns but many people do not, so, if I were you, I would try the trigger pull before you buy it. Also the inside-the-rail sights on the newer guns absolutely suck. Plan on putting an optic on it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 9:57:12 PM EDT
[#20]
I actually got to shoot one in 2004. A post sample in full auto no less.  I was unimpressed for a host of reasons.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 10:52:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I actually got to shoot one in 2004. A post sample in full auto no less.  I was unimpressed for a host of reasons.
View Quote
Do tell.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 10:53:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I like mine. Their triggers are very similar to an AUG's. I happen to like the triggers on both guns but many people do not, so, if I were you, I would try the trigger pull before you buy it. Also the inside-the-rail sights on the newer guns absolutely suck. Plan on putting an optic on it.
View Quote
If I get one i plan on going classic with a ring sight.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 10:55:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

^^This.  Don't over think itl.  If it is something you have wanted for a while and you have the funds, go for it.
View Quote
This is pretty much where I am.   I'm set on getting a "just because" gun.  I just want to get a fun gun I won't regret.  :)
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 11:57:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 12:07:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have you looked through one? I wanted one too until I looked through one, then I just put an aimpoint on it. Also, last I checked, that ring sight has been out of production for quite a while.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 12:30:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Have you looked through one? I wanted one too until I looked through one, then I just put an aimpoint on it. Also, last I checked, that ring sight has been out of production for quite a while.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I looked through one a long time ago.  I want the classic lines/shape it gives the gun.  You can get new and improved ring sights.  Here
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 12:47:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I looked through one a long time ago.  I want the classic lines/shape it gives the gun.  You can get new and improved ring sights.  Here
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Neat. I thought that company was totally out of business. I agree the guns look better aesthetically with those but I like the sight picture of the aimpoints better.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 1:52:59 AM EDT
[#28]
I have a Gen 2 trigger pack PS90 with the white circle sight. I love mine. It'll be the last gun I'll ever sell, if it comes to that.
It's fun to shoot, easy to disassemble and feels great in my hands. I didn't SBR mine, because I don't mind the standard length barrel at all.
No regrets here.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 3:01:42 AM EDT
[#29]
I have both the Five Seven and the PS90.

The Five Seven is the cooler gun, truly unique. You get a much better sense of the high velocity / low recoil of the 5.7x28 cartridge. It's a true 100yd handgun, and a total blast at the range.

The PS90 is cool, but really only worth it if you have the FsN already.

If you just wanted a space age bullpup, I personally like the AUG more. 5.56, 42rd mags vs 50 is basically the same, and I find the ergonomics more comfortable.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 8:45:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I agree with this. If you’re getting it because you want ‘the P90 from (insert favorite game/movie)’ then getting an aftermarket sight fucks all that up. An Aimpoint or MRO is a way better optic, but it’s not ‘right’.

I went with the white ring because it’s what I found first, it’s not as bad as everyone makes it out to be, but it does still suck A LOT. I think most people play around with it on the couch and judge it but indoors it’s virtually invisible sometimes. Outdoors I’ve never had an issue using it. It doesn’t hinder me hitting things or enjoying it, but I’d definitely consider other options. I’ve owned both the green dot and black ring, and consider them both to be superior by a wide margin.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 9:52:23 AM EDT
[#31]
You want a PS90. Get the PS90.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 9:10:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Black ring is tits but wish i could recharge the tritim oe make it brighter. I know some company came out with a battery upgrade.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 10:04:15 PM EDT
[#33]
I had PS90 and FsN...I liked the PS90 much better. I sold both...I'm thinking about buying another PS90.  I really like the OD green stock.

There is a guy on PAFOA selling a Gen 3...I thought about getting it, but the tritium isn't that bright and it's a black version.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 1:56:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I had PS90 and FsN...I liked the PS90 much better. I sold both...I'm thinking about buying another PS90.  I really like the OD green stock.

There is a guy on PAFOA selling a Gen 3...I thought about getting it, but the tritium isn't that bright and it's a black version.
View Quote
Can you link that or point me in the right direction?  What's he asking for it?
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 8:57:52 AM EDT
[#35]
I have had mine for a couple of months now and am really enjoying it. I just got the form one and print cards from the atf to fill out to sbr it, it's a ton of fun to shoot, virtually no recoil and holds 50 rounds. The ammo isn't too bad if you watch for sales, Palmetto State Armory usually has some smoking deals on it. I have about 500 rounds through mine and it has been 100% reliable.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 9:10:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 11:39:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Nope.

Link Posted: 1/28/2018 11:58:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It CAN be “fixed”, a member of FNForum.net figured out how to change the tritium vial in the sight. It’s not real hard to do.

Keep in mind, the Green stock has been discontinued for several years and is getting both hard to find and expensive.

I also prefer the Green stock.
View Quote
I really wanted green as well but gave up and got a black one, may get it cerakoted in the future.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 1:53:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 7:46:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

A thought....

When I purchased mine it was Black, so I figured there were enough Stargate SG-1 fans out there that didn’t want a Green stock.

I listed my Black stock on FNForum.net as “Want to trade” - Black stock for Green stock. It took about three weeks
View Quote
That's an excellent thought!!
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 11:13:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Alright you guys are great enablers.  I found a "used" ps90 on Gunbroker that looks like it was hardly shot, if at all.  Picked it up for $1075.  Should be shipping soon.

Now I need ammo.  I was going to buy from PSA, but they are out of stock.  Who has the next best prices?
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 11:31:10 AM EDT
[#42]
cool you got one for a good price, what kind of sights?

I have an old Zeiss Z-point on my mine which is SBR'd.  I am amazed that sight is still mfg, its got drawbacks but it is got the total Eurotrash look down so its a perfect fit for the PS90.

I compare it to all the PCC out there and end of day, if I was in a hard use combat situation where i would have to worry about shots past 25 yards, its no comparison to any 9mm out there...

Now you need the 5.7 pistol.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 11:31:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Alright you guys are great enablers.  I found a "used" ps90 on Gunbroker that looks like it was hardly shot, if at all.  Picked it up for $1075.  Should be shipping soon.

Now I need ammo.  I was going to buy from PSA, but they are out of stock.  Who has the next best prices?
View Quote
For whatever reason PSA is often the cheapest on 5.7. I would say Sgammo for the next option but they are out of stock too. Targetsportsusa has some of the federal in stock for $20 a box and free shipping on a case of 500. Those 3 companies are the only ones I ever really use.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 11:32:26 AM EDT
[#44]
For the cheapest ammo for 5.7X28, click this link for AmmoGrab.  They keep track of the best prices and link you to the sites.

Link
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 11:37:56 AM EDT
[#45]
It has the crappy high rail.  I want the classic p90 look, so I'll be getting a ring sight sometime.

Eta: @Quake_Guy
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 11:40:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
For the cheapest ammo for 5.7X28, click this link for AmmoGrab.  They keep track of the best prices and link you to the sites.

Link
View Quote
Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 11:41:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Are people still having issues with the AE stuff or have those been worked out?
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 12:18:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 12:49:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

There are less issues with it in the FiveseveN, the PS90 tends to be rougher on ammo.
View Quote
So should it be avoided?
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 12:53:37 PM EDT
[#50]
I have a lot of rifles, and my PS90 is my favorite.
Ammo is not out of reasonable price range.  Mine has an RMR mounted and it shoots where the dot is.
What's not to like.   50 rounds, light, compact (even without an SBR) and easy to shoot.
Mags aren't expensive, and if you buy reduced capacity mags you can take 'em apart and cut the plastic off inside to increase capacity to 50 rounds...which is what I did.
Mine has been 100% reliable.
I keep my PS90 in a two racket tennis case with 5 spare mags as my travel, truck, SHTF gun.
I bought a 5.7 pistol as well.  I don't like it as much, but it is nice to have the combination
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top