Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2023 10:11:49 AM EDT
I've read that the 9mm conversions for the AUG and Tavor/X95 were banned by the ATF.

True or Fudd lore?

If true, why?
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 10:26:13 AM EDT
[#1]
https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/_GOV_ban_and_Steyr/43-427234/
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 10:31:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By User55645:
View Quote
It would seem that whole "sporting" thing is ripe to be thrown out.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 10:33:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By jhereg:
View Quote

I mean, I hope it's "all" thrown out
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 12:12:13 PM EDT
[#4]
So because the barrels aren't made in the US, they are non-sporting?

I thought we were still getting 223 AUG barrels from Austria and aren't X95 barrels from Israel?

Link Posted: 10/11/2023 12:21:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Supposedly accourding to that TFB vid on the AUG 300 blkout steyr is working on correcting the 9mm conversion.

Would be nice last kit RTG had last month was 5K with 4 mags.
Hhmmm buy 3 AUGs from PSA and some mags & ammo or one 9mm convesion.

Only way I could see even contimplating the kit @ 5K would be if I owned a transferable and then I'd have to,really really sell it to myself.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 1:42:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By jhereg:
View Quote

It absolutely is, and it must be taken to court ASAP.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 2:23:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By OTHP:
Supposedly accourding to that TFB vid on the AUG 300 blkout steyr is working on correcting the 9mm conversion.
View Quote
That would be cool.

I want a 9mm bullpup.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 8:04:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By User55645:
View Quote

Doesn’t really explain the Tavor 9mm ban.  The 5.56 Tavor barrels are already made in Israel, so the 9mm barrels also being made there shouldn’t have been an issue.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 8:30:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KitBuilder] [#9]
Originally Posted By dmk0210:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
They're still considered "non-sporting" when made in the US, but there's no prohibition. It is the importation of "non-sporting" firearms-related parts which is prohibited.

I thought we were still getting 223 AUG barrels from Austria and aren't X95 barrels from Israel?
We're getting unfinished AUG barrel blanks imported into the US. (Those are not considered non-sporting at that point.) Then they're finished here.
Idk about X95 barrels.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 9:15:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Did someone say 9mm AUG?

Seriously though, what I wrote in that thread nearly 10 years ago still stands today. If Steyr comes out with something "different" and you want it, you'd better buy it right then otherwise you'll likely miss out. It's proven time and time and time again from clear mags to 14" barrels to stripped receivers to whatever. Of course it's not always convenient on wallet but if you miss that train the only way to get the item is to pay much much more than the original cost.

Link Posted: 10/11/2023 11:00:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By 80085:
Did someone say 9mm AUG? https://i.imgur.com/RYJy4s6.jpg

Seriously though, what I wrote in that thread nearly 10 years ago still stands today. If Steyr comes out with something "different" and you want it, you'd better buy it right then otherwise you'll likely miss out. It's proven time and time and time again from clear mags to 14" barrels to stripped receivers to whatever. Of course it's not always convenient on wallet but if you miss that train the only way to get the item is to pay much much more than the original cost.

View Quote

Amen.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 11:09:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By willi3d:

Doesn't really explain the Tavor 9mm ban.  The 5.56 Tavor barrels are already made in Israel, so the 9mm barrels also being made there shouldn't have been an issue.
View Quote
Yeah, I'm really confused about that too.

Link Posted: 10/17/2023 11:10:12 PM EDT
[#13]
rotary delayed 9mm tavor be kick azz
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 11:35:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By willi3d:

Doesn’t really explain the Tavor 9mm ban.  The 5.56 Tavor barrels are already made in Israel, so the 9mm barrels also being made there shouldn’t have been an issue.
View Quote

I thought it was because IWI dropped the Tavor in favor of the x95.

So, my 9mm kit would work on an x95 you're telling me?
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 11:42:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Pretty sure the mounts for the rail that attaches to the barrel on the X95 vs the Sar are different.
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 10:38:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By xdmikey:

View Quote

I always thought there was a 9mm kit for the X95. So IWI never did make one?
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 11:50:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By xdmikey:

View Quote

I’m not saying that at all.  Don’t know if it will or won’t.  Although I have both a SAR and X95, my only experience is converting my 5.56 SAR to 9mm using the kit made for the SAR.

As I remember, IWI both released the X95 in 9mm form, and also had a X95 caliber conversion, (although that may have been to convert the 9mm guns to 5.56).
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 12:00:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By OTHP:

Would be nice last kit RTG had last month was 5K with 4 mags.
Hhmmm buy 3 AUGs from PSA and some mags & ammo or one 9mm convesion.

Only way I could see even contimplating the kit @ 5K would be if I owned a transferable and then I'd have to,really really sell it to myself.
View Quote

Kind of this.  An 8.5# blowback 9mm in a 5.56 package firearm, for $5K.   That's a tough sell.  As you say, maybe it was full-auto.
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 12:04:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By 80085:
Did someone say 9mm AUG? https://i.imgur.com/RYJy4s6.jpg

View Quote

Heh too true.  Here's a live-shot of the Steyr Product Development Team currently at peak output.

Link Posted: 10/18/2023 4:33:50 PM EDT
[#20]
My JRC 9mm carbine weighs 1.5 #s less than my 9mm Tavor but the Tavor is NOT field swappable, at least for me.

Link Posted: 10/19/2023 3:03:35 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

X95, T7, SAR, VHS,  HK rifles, ,CZ, B&T & every foreign made AK on the market all have barrels made in their respective countries. I never understood why Steyr US couldn’t bring Austrian made chrome lined AUG bbls.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 5:45:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top