Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2019 1:27:34 PM EDT
Hey Guys-

Thinking of trying some powder coated cast bullets for my Shield 45 acp,what are your opinions on who makes the best

powder coated bullets commercially for the 45 acp ??  Years ago I tried to powder coat commercial 45 200 gr swc but had problems with

bullet diameter and coating scraping off when seating (not set up for casting right now !!!0

Later

John
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 1:59:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I’ve used plenty of the SNS coated 200 SWC.
Never noticed any unusual scraping of the powder coating.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 2:43:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had good luck with the blue bullets in the 230gn weight.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 2:46:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Check out Missouri Bullet Co.

They have great prices, and the quality is top notch. Lots of different styles, weights, coating available for .45acp. I'v probably loaded up over 4,000 of their bullets.....they are good to go!
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 3:08:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I've used SNS and Missouri.  Both have good products.

SNS usually come in a little cheaper for me, once I factor in shipping.  I also usually order enough (5,000-10,000) that I get their discount (5% or 10%).
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 4:38:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've had good luck with the blue bullets in the 230gn weight.
View Quote
Me too
I also use their 147gr's for 9mm subs
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 5:41:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't know about best, but I've been using Bayou bullets, with no issue, for a while.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 5:55:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

They have great prices, and the quality is top notch. Lots of different styles, weights, coating available for .45acp. I'v probably loaded up over 4,000 of their bullets.....they are good to go!
View Quote
I’ve loaded thousands of 9mm and 300 blackout from MBC.

Their hi tek coating is GTG.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 10:47:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Another recommendation for Blue Bullets, ran a lot of their 200gr RN before they stopped carrying them and now use their 230gr RN. They have some shipping included sample packs that allow you to try 250 bullets for pretty cheap. I'm currently finishing up a run of 3600 9mm bullets I picked up on a Black Friday deal.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 12:03:33 AM EDT
[#9]
I've used Bayou, Acme, and Eggleston.  With no issues.  Bayou and Acme are Hi-Tec coated, Acme is red only.  Eggleston labels them as polymer coated.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 8:26:00 AM EDT
[#10]
I use Acme powdercoated in 9mm, 147gr.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 8:29:52 AM EDT
[#11]
a Lyman or CH4D "M": style die for seating cast bullets eliminates the shaving.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 10:11:15 AM EDT
[#12]
I've used all these, all of them work well.

missouri bullet 225 grain coating

missouri bullet 230 grain

summers enterprises llc 233gr

I'm sure other companies make equally good bullets, these are just the ones I've ordered/used.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 12:14:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Hmmm - Polymer coated ??? Is this different than the Powder Coated I tried to make, years ago from Harbor Freight ???

I am thinking my pc bullets may have been a tad too thick and the polymer coating might not be a thick ??

Also I do not cast and did not resize the bullets after the pc, Maybe the lyman M die is the secret ??

This is why I am reluctant to try commercial pc bullets, maybe a sample pack is the way to go before pulling 100 bucks/1000 commercial pc's

Thanks

John
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 1:34:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Hmmm - Polymer coated ??? Is this different than the Powder Coated I tried to make, years ago from Harbor Freight ???

I am thinking my pc bullets may have been a tad too thick and the polymer coating might not be a thick ??

Also I do not cast and did not resize the bullets after the pc, Maybe the lyman M die is the secret ??

This is why I am reluctant to try commercial pc bullets, maybe a sample pack is the way to go before pulling 100 bucks/1000 commercial pc's

Thanks

John
View Quote
Yeah that's most likely your issue right there.   I resize all the bullets I powder coat and never had an issue with them. If it's a commercial bullet,  you're taking something that was the correct size to begin with and making it larger(and if it was cast by someone else,  it might have needed to be sized anyway, depending on the mold) .  Even just a tiny bit could have caused issues.

When using lead bullets,  it's always recommended to get an M die, but the bullets need to be the correct diameter first.

Commercially coated bullets are fine.  I would not worry about them any more than i would worry about buying jacketed bullets.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 1:35:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 8:48:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
THIS
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 9:25:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

THIS
View Quote
Yup. Same here for me.

I've even loaded their hitek coated bullets and they're good to go too.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 11:32:41 AM EDT
[#18]
I really like Ibejihead bullets. I've tried SNS, Bayou, Blue Bullet and of course various platted. Ibejihead are what I've settled on. I've reloaded about 5k this winter so far.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top