Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2021 3:25:11 PM EDT
I’m sure this exposes my weak search/google skills, but I am struggling to find a universal (1.375-24) direct thread mount made for use with a 25-degree taper barrel like Sig or Q use with a 5/8-24 thread pattern. Who makes such a beast?

Seems like this should be easy, but I keep finding Plan Bs, Xeno, various taper mount systems, etc after about 10 tries.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 3:35:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think there are any production ones at this time.   I've done them on a custom basis, but don't stock any.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 3:55:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't think there are any production ones at this time.   I've done them on a custom basis, but don't stock any.
View Quote

I think HB had a poll to see what the interest would be in in it. I want one bad as I would rather taper all my barrels than have cherry bombs on all of them. About the same cost in the end to.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 5:22:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I was trying to guilt Chris into making one. But status unknown.

@HansohnBrothers
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 5:47:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow, that really surprises me, but I guess makes me feel a bit better about my search abilities. I would have guessed the makers pushing the 25-degree taper as a standard would have brought them out to open things up to a broader market.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 6:07:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm in the same boat.

Bought an Energetic Arms Vox last month and settled on a cherry bomb/Q plan B (fits perfect on my Q barrel )

From my research, the combo I have adds the least amount of weight and length compared to direct thread.

Might make one in the future I suppose.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 8:55:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 9:05:03 PM EDT
[#7]
With Sig*, Q, and CGS using tapers I think we'll see them rise in popularity in the next 2 years.

As I buy more silencers the idea of having a taper-mount silencer with a tapered barrel and just dedicating the silencer to the gun grows.

*Is Sig still using tapers?? I don't know much about their new cans.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 9:21:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

*Is Sig still using tapers?? I don't know much about their new cans.
View Quote

New rifle cans are still tbd.  

But just about every SIG rifle barrel for the past 5-6 years has been tapered.  I really wish more companies would start doing it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 10:11:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 10:15:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Spanner slots or wrench flats? Wrench flat version will be heavier.
View Quote

“Ill go with both for $50 Alex”
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 10:25:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 11:16:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I would have guessed the makers pushing the 25-degree taper as a standard would have brought them out to open things up to a broader market.
View Quote
I'm kinda surprised at this too, but I guess they feel it would do less to sell their suppressors than let other mfg's suppressors fit their barrels. So in other words, it could hurt their suppressors sales.

Link Posted: 3/15/2021 12:11:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm kinda surprised at this too, but I guess they feel it would do less to sell their suppressors than let other mfg's suppressors fit their barrels. So in other words, it could hurt their suppressors sales.

View Quote

Most of these larger manufacturers (Smith, Ruger, Remington, etc) are so wrapped up in their own dogma of "we've always done it this way" that they won't ever thing about looking at anything new. I mean shit, Ruger STILL cuts their 1/2-28 10/22 barrels threads too damn long. And have been doing that for over a decade. I hate to say that these guys are a lost cause, but they pretty much are.

Their ONLY concern is what muzzle device they install from the factory fitting properly on the threads that they put on the barrel. That is IT. Anything you want to do with the gun after it ships the factory really is not their concern. 90° shoulders are great for mounting muzzle brakes and flash hiders and thread protectors.

Now what I believe is in the realm of possibility is more midlevel manufacturers (Noveske, BCM, PSA) as well as barrel manufacturers (BA, Rosco, etc) shifting over to tapers.

Time will truly tell.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 1:58:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Very true.

I have a Half Nelson and only have one tapered barrel.

Im about to send off another two barrels to get the taper to use the HN on other hosts.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 5:55:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Spanner slots or wrench flats? Wrench flat version will be heavier.
View Quote

I use spanner notches unless otherwise requested for that reason, especially since I make most adapters from 17-4 H900 for better wear characteristics.  

Spanner notches also look cleaner, IMO

Link Posted: 3/15/2021 6:51:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I use spanner notches unless otherwise requested for that reason, especially since I make most adapters from 17-4 H900 for better wear characteristics.  

https://i.imgur.com/zwwFwlE.jpg
View Quote
Looks very nice!  Do you have those available for sale now?
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 7:50:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/zwwFwlE.jpg
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

WANT
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 8:18:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 3:04:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Bump, I need one of these in 5-8
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 12:02:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 12:28:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Bump, I need one of these in 5-8
View Quote

I am planning to make a small run of them soon now that the CNC is up.  I just have some other parts batches to program & run first.  Hopefully within a couple weeks here.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 12:33:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

or rigid tapping which sounds like a pretty bad idea in 17-4.
View Quote

I have pretty good luck with it using quality taps and Tap Magic.  I especially like OSG taps for working stainless.

I almost always single point any internal thread with a minor of .320" or larger, but there are times when tapping makes more sense.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 2:07:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 2:52:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Is there a recommended torque for the Sig tapered barrel/suppressor combo?
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 6:29:46 PM EDT
[#25]
I needed to program a template for Bravo adapters anyway, so I went ahead and knocked out a few of these

All plug gauged and checked for pitch diameter between 1.3450 and 1.3475

Link Posted: 5/15/2021 9:26:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I needed to program a template for Bravo adapters anyway, so I went ahead and knocked out a few of these

https://i.imgur.com/RnSUrX4.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/A9dvpEu.jpg
View Quote
Yes please!
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 6:52:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/RnSUrX4.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/A9dvpEu.jpg
View Quote
Those look awesome!....I'd like one please.  Sending PM now.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 1:14:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Is there a recommended torque for the Sig tapered barrel/suppressor combo?
View Quote

Is there a minimum barrel diameter for 1/2-28 and 5/8-24 use with the 25 degree taper?
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 1:23:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Is there a minimum barrel diameter for 1/2-28 and 5/8-24 use with the 25 degree taper?
View Quote

OD needs to be at least .050" over thread major (.550" & .675" respectively).

I don't cut that taper on barrels, though.   Not sure who you'd want to go to for that.  Maybe Morgan?
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 3:56:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Received my tapered DT mount today, but, unfortunately, my can is still in jail.
I can say that it is one ounce lighter than a plan b/cherry bomb.

To say I am pumped is an understatement.

Thank you for making this @sixtysixdeuce

Link Posted: 5/24/2021 10:26:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 11:09:13 AM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

LPM's parts are a good option if one wants a wrench hex on them.  I personally prefer a more flush mount with spanner wrench cuts or scallops that look fine no matter how they're indexed, which is why I generally avoid making adapters with hexes, squares, flats.  But some people like that option.

LPM adapaters are a half ounce lighter due to the full trepan cut on the inside, which is also something I don't do on mounts.    Holes or kidney bean shaped cuts that leave some webbing dramatically increase strength with a minimal weight penalty.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 1:26:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

LPM's parts are a good option if one wants a wrench hex on them.  I personally prefer a more flush mount with spanner wrench cuts or scallops that look fine no matter how they're indexed, which is why I generally avoid making adapters with hexes, squares, flats.  But some people like that option.

LPM adapaters are a half ounce lighter due to the full trepan cut on the inside, which is also something I don't do on mounts.    Holes or kidney bean shaped cuts that leave some webbing dramatically increase strength with a minimal weight penalty.
View Quote
Any plans for Ti version? I know not the best for wear resistance and such. Prefer your design but like the less weight of the Liberty.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 10:28:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

OD needs to be at least .050" over thread major (.550" & .675" respectively).

I don't cut that taper on barrels, though.   Not sure who you'd want to go to for that.  Maybe Morgan?
View Quote

So is there a maximum diameter? I have a thick barrel on my precision rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top