Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2020 10:33:56 PM EDT
Steer me straight!  

I own:
2 Omega 300s (one dedicated to 5.56 and the other to 6mm-308)
1 Octane 45 HD
1 Revolution 9

I began looking for a small 9mm pistol can but realized the Obsidian 9 in K config is too loud for my liking and feel the Revolution 9 in k config is pretty much optimal for length vs weight vs sound suppression for most pistols.  As a result, I settled on the Omega 9k as a great compromise on diameter, length, and weight for mainly PCC applications.  

That led me to compare with the Wolfman - then to the 36M (which for the weight and use appears to dominate the wolfman for my uses).

In short - do you think the extra 3ish oz of weight, .25" and .10" of extra diameter make enough difference to buy that and not the Omega 9k?

I love that the Omega 9k is simple, light, short with great sound reduction, but the versatility of the 36m to use on 300 Norma or 338 Lapua that my Omega 300s can't touch has me really thinking!

I can purchase the 36m for $799 and the Omega 9k for $679

Appreciate feedback and especially first hand experience!
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 10:50:37 PM EDT
[#1]
That’s why you need both.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 11:04:27 PM EDT
[#2]
FPNI. I have a 9k and it's AWESOME!!!  If I could get the 36M for that price, I'd buy it too!!!
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 11:16:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I figured that would be the likely reply!

I'm just not sure the 36m would get much use if I bought the 9k - the omega 300s are so versatile I use them for all my current rifles.

Anyone use both if them and can opine on the weight/ length/ suppression differences? The Capitol armory video for the 36m is well done but first hand is always best.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 12:13:37 AM EDT
[#4]
My Omega 9k impressed me so much I bought another.  They share duty on a Beretta M9A3 and 300 BLK when I want to go super short/light.
I did have a CZ Scorpion and it was fantastic sounding.

Link Posted: 9/24/2020 12:26:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Omega 36m gives you more versatility for not a lot more.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 1:43:55 AM EDT
[#6]
LOL, I just had to make this decision.

I had read/heard that the short 36M was near identical to the 9K, maybe a slight bit heavier and maybe 1db louder or quieter. Some say audibly quieter.

I got 2 36Ms in jail right away a few months ago. Bought pistons and piston mounts and endcaps and other mounts n stuff while I wait.
Then I got to thinking about the 9K some more. And kept thinking about it. Happened to swing by a local SOT this past weekend and guess what they had in stock? A 9K. I was trying to walk out of there and just couldn’t - had to have it.

So yeah, both. I am quickly falling into the “suppress everything” thing.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 11:32:02 AM EDT
[#7]
My local shop has the 36M in stock for $749.  Very tempting.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 12:32:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My local shop has the 36M in stock for $749.  Very tempting.
View Quote

DO IT!
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 12:45:29 PM EDT
[#9]
At a functional, practical level the trade between the two is mostly weight versus versatility.  So it depends on your hosts and how much you shoot suppressed pistols. More pistol need probably favors 9k.  Otherwise the 36M adds a lot of value for a little more weight, size, and can cost. But you have to look at cost of mounts as well.  The Charlie mount world of the 36M is more expensive.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 12:47:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
At a functional, practical level the trade between the two is mostly weight versus versatility.  So it depends on your hosts and how much you shoot suppressed pistols. More pistol need probably favors 9k.  Otherwise the 36M adds a lot of value for a little more weight, size, and can cost. But you have to look at cost if mounts as well.  The Charlie mount world of the 36M is more expensive.
View Quote

I suggest looking hard at Griffin's Charlie / Taper Mount PLAN-A instead of the heavy/expensive SiCo ASR mounts/muzzle devices.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 6:51:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I have an Omega 9K, and love it. But I wanted to try something a little longer that could give me better suppression when I felt like it, but could also be run in a short configuration like the 9K.

I was considering the 36M vs the Wolfman, and finally went with the Wolfman. The 36M was a lot more money (and required more money to get it configured with a 3-lug mount) than the Wolfman. I don't have a rifle bigger than .30 cal, so I didn't need a big-bore can. I have a 5.56 can and several .30cal cans (including 2x Omega 300s) so I am set for rifle cans. This was just to be used on a 9mm subgun.

If I had a .338 cal rifle, I would have ponied up the extra money to get the 36M.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 3:36:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I would suggest the Omega 45k over the 9k.  SiCo cans are gassy and little extra bore size helps.  Longer so probably quieter on 9mm anyway.  Gives you options to shoot 10mm and larger stuff.

The 36M looks like a cool can and your price seems cheap.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 10:42:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I would suggest the Omega 45k over the 9k.  SiCo cans are gassy and little extra bore size helps.  Longer so probably quieter on 9mm anyway.  Gives you options to shoot 10mm and larger stuff.

The 36M looks like a cool can and your price seems cheap.
View Quote

I considered the Omega 45k, but the test results on a 9mm subgun were not very good.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 11:54:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I considered the Omega 45k, but the test results on a 9mm subgun were not very good.
View Quote

And it’s big... O9k is a small can that still sounds good.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 11:50:43 AM EDT
[#15]
My Omega 9k gets shot all the time. I would buy another if I were not looking at two Surefires for my clone rifles. I also have a .46 Hybrid I havent shot yet and a Octane 9 in jail.

I think for versatility, the Omega 9k is hard to beat. It gets swapped between my Scorpion and 300 Blk pistol all of the time. When the Octane is in my posession, it will go on my Scorpion semi permanently and the 9k will be used for my 300Blk guns. I dont have any threaded pistol barrels or pistols yet so I don't know how it works on them.

My Switchback just had the stamp come back Thursday (7 month wait) so I will pick it up today and mess with it for the first time. The Octane has been in jail for 15 months which is annoying.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 12:48:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My Omega 9k gets shot all the time. I would buy another if I were not looking at two Surefires for my clone rifles. I also have a .46 Hybrid I havent shot yet and a Octane 9 in jail.

I think for versatility, the Omega 9k is hard to beat. It gets swapped between my Scorpion and 300 Blk pistol all of the time. When the Octane is in my posession, it will go on my Scorpion semi permanently and the 9k will be used for my 300Blk guns. I dont have any threaded pistol barrels or pistols yet so I don't know how it works on them.

My Switchback just had the stamp come back Thursday (7 month wait) so I will pick it up today and mess with it for the first time. The Octane has been in jail for 15 months which is annoying.
View Quote

Let us know what you think of your Switchback!
Mine’s still in the Big House.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 2:39:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Every test I saw, 45k compensated for the larger bore opening by being a little longer and the resulting decibels were very close.  From my experience, less decibels at muzzle translates to more decibels at ear and more corresponding blowback.  I wouldn't even think of running a std size pistol can on a full auto sub gun unless ROF was low...
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 3:02:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Every test I saw, 45k compensated for the larger bore opening by being a little longer and the resulting decibels were very close.  From my experience, less decibels at muzzle translates to more decibels at ear and more corresponding blowback.  I wouldn't even think of running a std size pistol can on a full auto sub gun unless ROF was low...
View Quote

My MiniBoss(O9K) is great on my subgun.  And it’s a K can not standard. It’s also geared towards subguns but does well on a pistol too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top