Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2021 10:10:14 PM EDT
I want to get an airgun for me and the kids for plinking and maybe getting rid of some pesky Starlings. I don't want to spend a lot. Here locally I've seen these; Ruger Air Hawk Elite II and the Crosman F4. Both in .177. Ideas and opinions? I'm completely new to airguns so I don't know much. Also, the quieter, the better. Thanks
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 9:09:18 AM EDT
[#1]
First, read Bladeswitcher's tacked thread at the top of this forum.  He even titled it to well, though it is not really 10 million words.  

If you do decide to go with a spring airgun, the RWS 34 or HW R7 are probably going to be a lot better for your use than the big-store ones like you mentioned.  

There are other options as well, from multipump to CO2 to PCP (pre-charged pneumatic).
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 9:29:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Daisy M853 .177 Cal. (Pneumatic) USED Air Rifle
link to the airguns at CMP
The CMP is selling reconditioned Daisy 853 Sporter Air Rifles to promote the development of more new junior shooters.
$105
S&H $14.95 per rifle

Used Daisy 853 with seals replaced and Chronographed to meet factory velocity requirements.

Includes: Front and Rear Sights, Sling and Buttplate Spacer

Regular Stock or Monte Carlo Stock

my comments
these are super accurate.  you can cloverleaf the point of impact all day long and have a trigger that can be  tuned real cheap.
I have 2 of these. they have a short trigger pull and come with several butt plates to make it longer as your child grows or of its for an adult.

here is a nice article about it.

best part is that you do not have to meet the CMP requirements to buy air rifles from them.

here is the order form.  just fill it out and send a check in.

Some pics... expect this condition with little wear In the trigger area... everywhere else it's in like new condition.  Overall it's a great value with a real wood stock. Honestly,  I consider these to be heirlooms to be passed on to the next generation.

Link Posted: 5/9/2021 3:45:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the heads-up on the 853, gonna pull the trigger on one. 500 FPS is perfect, look out tree rats! My Hatsan pushes a .22 hunting pellet at a chrono'ed 800 FPS but is a pain to cock and is heavy, this will be much more pleasant.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 4:03:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Look at the RWS 34 or maybe one of the Beeman QB78 Deluxe .177.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 11:32:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Look at the RWS 34 or maybe one of the Beeman QB78 Deluxe .177.
View Quote

I have two RWS 34’s one is mine and the other I bought for my dad. Both are finicky on pellets.
Mine will not shoot a Daisy pellet but loves Huko spainish pellet and Crossman 7.4gr.

I ordered the Umarex Origen. A buddy bought one and he loves it. The reviews kinda scared me but my buddy’s shoots so well.
https://www.pyramydair.com/product/umarex-origin-pcp-air-rifle-with-hand-pump?m=5255
But this is what I really want but I just can’t seem to make myself drop the money for.
https://www.pyramydair.com/product/fx-crown-continuum-mkii-black-pepper-laminate?m=4926
The bad part is I know I will have to buy a compressor for it.,
It really pisses me off that Umarex will not sell the rifle by itself. I know my wife will want one. And everyone here knows how women that like to shoot don’t like to share. Plus she would have me pumping the damn thing.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 6:58:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I love my crosman 1322. A couple relatively easy mods, and I have put away a ton of starlings and other pest birds. It will hit a quarter at 45 yards.

Cheap to buy- you can upgrade down the line.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top